Genestealer Cult for OFCC 2017

evil_bryan

As Team Bacon plans for glory and conquest in 2017, I have decided to take on a new hobby project....Genestealer Cult.

Now, over the years I have a pretty sketchy history with completing OFCC armies. In my early years, I played fully finished armies (Black Templar and Chaos Daemons.) As I got busier (or lazier), I either brought minimum painting standard armies (Traitor Guard and Blood Angels) or borrowed a completed army (Warriors of Chaos.)

This year will be different...this will be the year of the Cult!

Like most of my projects, it all starts with reckless spending!

(I only kept 3 of the sets)

med_gallery_1078_27_153494.jpg

med_gallery_1078_27_131689.jpg

I have not built a list yet, but I have started assembly.

med_gallery_1078_27_113071.jpg

I'm not sure how long this project will take, but by July 27th it will be complete!

I am hoping this thread will keep me on track and moving forward.

If nothing else, it will allow the other members of Team Bacon to shame me into forward progress. :)

• Like 10

I quickly realized I needed a bit of direction in the build. Since I do not have a list built yet, I thought I would focus on building some of the detachments from the book.

It only seemed natural to make my first detachment "The First Curse". :) That means it is Genestealer time.

The Genestealers that came with the Overkill box seemed to come together pretty easily.

med_gallery_1078_27_139219.jpg

Next, I needed to get more Genestealers! Thankfully, I had a Deathstorm box kicking around and I knew there were some in that box set.

Now, I have little Tyranid assembly experience. This was my first experience building box standard Genestealers, and I am quickly learning to hate them. I am pretty fanatical about model assembly, and this kit has some issues.

med_gallery_1078_27_317789.jpg

Mold lines in and out of the back spines, a stupid gap from attaching the rear leg, massive mold lines on the front of the model, and the stupid plastic tab. They are proving to be a pain. Thankfully, I only need 20 of them (plus the Patriarch.)

Oh well, back to cleaning those models.

• Like 4

The Genestealers for this set look almost exactly like the ones from the recent Space Hulk board game. Are they? Could be a cheap(er) way for you to acquire more Genestealers. And if you are, let me know. I have a box sitting around doing nothing.

I'd be down for this if you are looking to trade them away.

Send me a PM of what you are interested in, and we can try to work something out. :)

• Like 1

Welcome to the Hive Mind....

I too am building a cult and can't wait to play some games with these awesome models!

Alas, Tyranids (GSC included) have lots of grooves, nooks, and armor crannies that are not only a pain to remove mold lines from....just wait to you start painting.

I'm hoping to attend OFCC next year and hope to see you and your new army there!

Update time!

The first box of Genestealers have now been assembled! 

med_gallery_1078_27_72143.jpg

The Genestealers in the Overkill box come with 32mm bases, while the Genestealer box set still have 25mm. I have decided to use 32mm for all of them, and picked up a box of the Sector Imperialis bases. Those have been clipped and cleaned up as well.

I think I will be painting the models and bases separately. I also think attaching the Genestealers will be a pain. :)

Now, it is time to start on the second box of Genestealers....oh fun

• Like 2

That looks like 9 of the first batch of 20 needed for any GSC army.  Keep on keepin on! I am rooting for you. I am in the middle of assembling my second round of GSC from the overkill box and I can't bring myself to just sit down and do it. It is taking me far too long. So watching you slave away is helping me get my models together.

• Like 1

Quick update!

Both boxes of Genestealers have been assembled, plus the 6 from Overkill sets for a total of 22. Also, I have assembled at the characters from the Broodcoven. :)

Now, I am reconsidering leaving them off the bases and tempted to attach them. It will allow for playtesting before they are painted, but may make painting more difficult.

Decisions, decisions :)

• Like 1