WCN 2017

Josh

Developments regarding West Coast Nationals 2017 have been going around the NorCal facebook page. It's only tentative at this point, but they are looking at a EW, 1650 pt, two day event at Kublacon in Burlingame, CA. The format would be two rounds on Friday, May 26th, and three rounds on Saturday, May 27th, like 2016.

Just thought I'd let you guys know, and I know it conflicts with Enfilade. I had a good time this year. We had something like 36 players, some even came from the East Coast.  

• Like 1

But not an all expenses paid ticket i imagine.  Lol.  Think i got a shot at it?

No not all expenses paid, but they usually provide room and board.  Honestly I don't think I've ever played you, so I couldn't say.  I have had the privilege of playing some of these "masters level" players, and they aren't Gods among men lol.  They are extremely sharp though and have been some of my most difficult games.  If you enjoy the fierce competition, then West Coast Nationals is definitely up your alley.  

I would certainly be cheering on you, or anyone else from the PNW at West Coast Nationals.  It would be great for one of us to represent WA/OR in the masters.  Right now Indiana, Ohio, and PA players make up 60-70% of the masters players, the rest hail from Texas, so it would be great to see some diversity.

Edit:  Ok so I overexagerted a little about the lack of diversity, but it still is really lopsided right now, and no representation from the West Coast.  Here's the 2015 master's players profile page http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=57&art_id=5000&kb_cat_id=63

We have some pretty tough customers locally, and we used to count Eric Riha and Bill Wilcox as regulars until they moved away (arguably the best in the world when they were in CA). We get a good mix of all types, from the hyper competitive (TEXANS), to the happy go lucky cooler full of beer types (me).

All Masters really means to me is that you've got the perfect set up where you make tons of money, have tons of vacation time to travel, and tons of free time to build, paint, and play. If I had any one of those I'm sure I'd be a masters player too. The first time they did Masters it was all expenses paid, and boy did they pay from what Riha told me. They toned that down pretty quick, I think it's just room and board now. 

Kublacon is cool, and SF is awesome. I'm probably going to go, but May is already going to be super busy. Like I've said, we need more people to show, but the distances on the West Coast are so much greater than the East Coast so numbers are generally lower than events like Gencon and Historicon, and the BF reps NEVER understand that. I don't think it will be moved from Kublacon, so sorry about that. Someone in the PNW would have to make a pretty convincing argument to BF to move it. I'd definitely go if it were moved to Portland.

We have some pretty tough customers locally, and we used to count Eric Riha and Bill Wilcox as regulars until they moved away (arguably the best in the world when they were in CA). We get a good mix of all types, from the hyper competitive (TEXANS), to the happy go lucky cooler full of beer types (me).

All Masters really means to me is that you've got the perfect set up where you make tons of money, have tons of vacation time to travel, and tons of free time to build, paint, and play. If I had any one of those I'm sure I'd be a masters player too. The first time they did Masters it was all expenses paid, and boy did they pay from what Riha told me. They toned that down pretty quick, I think it's just room and board now. 

Kublacon is cool, and SF is awesome. I'm probably going to go, but May is already going to be super busy. Like I've said, we need more people to show, but the distances on the West Coast are so much greater than the East Coast so numbers are generally lower than events like Gencon and Historicon, and the BF reps NEVER understand that. I don't think it will be moved from Kublacon, so sorry about that. Someone in the PNW would have to make a pretty convincing argument to BF to move it. I'd definitely go if it were moved to Portland.

Honestly Kublacon is going to be the best location on the west coast to have the west coast nationals.  Its just a shame that Kublacon and Enfilade fall on the same weekend every year, since that's probably our largest Flames of War event in the PNW for the year.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Sorry to drag this one all the way up to the top, but I thought someone might be interested...

So it's confirmed EW 1650 pts, lists due by May 19th. I realize that you're all probably going to go to Enfilade, so I don't feel so bad about the short notice. If I were in your shoes, I'd do the same. 

I'm almost done with this massive SS army that's going slowly drive me insane, then I'm never doing SS again (said that before). 

Have fun at Enfilade, guys! 

Thx for the info and the tease.

Here is a tease for ENFILADE:

SAT, MAY 27, 9 AM to 6:30 PM - FoW v3, LW 1650 pts, 3 rounds

also...

SAT, MAY 27, 7-11 PM: Team Yankee team event after the FoW tourny: Battle of Alfeld, 100 points, 12 gamers, 6 per team, two rounds, lightning play (90 min per round)