1.2 Update Released!

The big 1.2 update just got released! It has a lot of changes including all new Paths of Magic, a new miscast table, new categories and rules for Army Organization, and a doubling of everything's points to put the new official standard game size at 4500 points. This came along with another balance update so expect every army to have gotten a good nerf to hopefully bring about some more balance across the board. Check it out and discuss:

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?simple-page/

• Like 4

Lots of (European) people are saying they won't move to 4500. What are we going to do here in the PNW?

I don't really care either way. It's not going to let me play more games in a day than I otherwise would. If anything I would hope I could bring more types of lists as I now have sufficient models to play that style, whereas before I was short a few.

Well 4500 = 2250 x 2 so we're going down a bit in points if we go to 4500, but the idea behind that is to make games move a little more quickly. Personally I'm going to start giving 4500 a go and see how it works out, which I'm thinking will be well. Honestly the only reason that we went from the 7th Edition standard of 2250 to 2500 in 8th Edition was because 25% of 2250 was a decimal and that annoyed people.

I'm willing to give 4500 a try, but it does feel pretty tight so far. From my understanding, the change was to be able to finish games during a tournament setting. An admirable goal (more time for drinking, eating, and socializing), but I also like battles that feel flush with troops. I'll try 4600, and see how it goes.

With the other changes to reduce game time I really don't see the need for going from 5000 to 4500. Never really had an issue finishing games before anyways.

Overall I am good with about 80% of the changes in the update. Most of the main rule book changes look good. Some of the AB changes feel knee jerk and unnecessary.

The big change for my list (KoE) was that I had to drop my peasant crusaders and reliquary to fit the new (higher priced) unit entries into the 4500pt.

I don't really mind this, cause it'll let me build two separate list styles, cavalry and peasant revolt, but it does seem like a smaller battlefield in general.

New magic looks really cool though! And the war machine rules are a wonderful thing.

Looking at what the tournament guys are saying on T9A forums, it looks like the meta for KoE might seriously change. The way the army list is constructed feeds itself naturally into a "gunline" of peasants with crossbows, a couple of trebs and then as close as possible to 65% of the armies value in two or three flying heroes on hippo/hippo/peg. The strategy that is forming is keep your points locked away in highly mobile, hard hitting lords and harass the enemy with massed ranged fire.

I'm not necessarily knocking this as a strategy, but it does seem a bit lame from a fun to play standpoint. Hopefully the larger picture of rebalancing/new rules will make this min/max list bs a poor choice.