Rate the Last PC/Console Game You Played

• 1 month later...

Let's see, been hoping from game to game lately. 

Trove. Cutesy minecraft-looking hack and slash MMO for PS4. Free to play, but definitely they're trying to get you to buy things. Target audience is very young, I think, but I was enjoying it the other night. They give you a choice at the start of any character, then they make you earn/buy the others. Gameplay is simple, very few attacks, you just roam and kill things. There's a very limited "build mode" where you blast bricks and build things while keeping you eye out of enemy creatures. Despite being an MMO, I found single player to be very relaxing. And it supported my keyboard attachment for the PS4, which is rare on PS4 games, so I was able to type in chat using real words...

They do have a potentially cool option for your "guild" to have it's own world that you can customize. I'd consider working towards that, if anyone else wants to form a guild there. Not sure how much I want to socialize while playing this game, but could be fun to have a shared space to build castles and such. 

I've been playing Battle Brothers on Steam.

It's a low-fantasy single player strategy RPG focused on managing a group of Mercenaries and moving around a map from town to town taking on contracts and fighting brigands, orcs, undead, and more all while leveling up and equipping your fighters. It has a procedural world map with random end-game events that range from a war of the noble houses to an undead or greenskin invasion. The combat is all tactical turn-based style with an AP system and various skills for your fighters based on their weapon type and perks. Each action you take generates fatigue that gets burned off turn-by-turn and it also has a morale system with a Resolve stat, terrain advantages, injuries that take time to heal, and a pretty cool graphic style. I'd recommend checking it out, but maybe wait for a sale as its $30 price tag is a little high if you're on a budget. 

• Like 1

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Yes, this is an open-world game where you use a bite and fancy arrows (and traps, and slings, and harpoons) to take down metal beasts, some of which highly resemble dinosaurs. Some people think that sounds awesome. I am not one of those people. Still, I curious about it's sorry, which was supposed to be good. The story is good.

This game delivers on good gameplay, good exploration, and remains challenging at times. It sold ideas from many places, and it combined them well.

With well executed game mechanics backing it up, the story does a surprisingly good job making this world plausible. All the polish and extra details help maintain the suspension of disbelief.

If you are a fan of sci-fi (thought experiments, not space operas) this will be worth investing your time in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ahzek Ahriman said:

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Yes, this is an open-world game where you use a bite and fancy arrows (and traps, and slings, and harpoons) to take down metal beasts, some of which highly resemble dinosaurs. Some people think that sounds awesome. I am not one of those people. Still, I curious about it's sorry, which was supposed to be good. The story is good.

This game delivers on good gameplay, good exploration, and remains challenging at times. It sold ideas from many places, and it combined them well.

With well executed game mechanics backing it up, the story does a surprisingly good job making this world plausible. All the polish and extra details help maintain the suspension of disbelief.

If you are a fan of sci-fi (thought experiments, not space operas) this will be worth investing your time in.

Thank you. I have been wondering about this one. 

How many hours of gaming is it? Like before you reach the point where there is no more content that interests you?

I'm about 15 hours into Horizon: zero dawn and the progression meter in game says I'm about 25% complete.  I tend to wander and finish all the sub quests I can find.

I'm liking the game a lot, only minor issue I have is there's no "flashlight" or torch or anything she can use to brighten your surroundings in caves or at night.  Seems like that would have been an easy feature to add.  Instead I just boost my screen brightness.

• Like 1

Skyforge. It's a new "Free to play, but pay to enjoy" game for the PS4. MMO. If you've played star trek online, or champions online, I'm pretty sure the game is same engine reskined. They have a single player, very linear, campaign mode, and supposidly have a multi-player portion. I got bored pretty quick. Maybe 2/5, just to leave room for truly terrible games to have a lower rating.

Though if you get a chance, it has some amusing cinematics. The main one early in the game, is interesting because it basically has "epic" sounding lines from a dozen popular movies, all pasted into a semi-cohesive narration. I think they should have focused on making a pretty corny, but enjoyable, TV series based around their inconsistent cinematics with questionable dialogue..

Elder Scrolls Online for PS4. Definitely the best MMORPG availible for the PS4. It's a WoW clone, but since WoW isn't an option for the PS4, that hardly matters. That Final Fantasy Realm Reborn is very poorly designed for use on the the PS4 (requires a keyboard and the PS4 has poor keyboard support...). Elder Scrolls Online seems very well designed for Controller use. Quests include NPCs that verbally read quests, but can also be skipped through if you just want to quickly complete quests. Game includes minor dialogue quest options, allowing for slightly different quest outcomes (often have Evil, good, and greedy quests variants). And they do have a crime option, should you want to sneak around and steal from NPCs or murder them (and there is an awesome option where you can disable the option to be able to accidentally attack "innocent" NPCs).

I've been doing just PvE content and haven't been interacting with other players (though I do kill creatures that they are also killing, sometimes). For an exclusively multiplayer game, the single player content is awesome. 

Oh, regarding classes. So if you've played other elderscroll games, the use of classes is a big turn off. That said, the use of classes is misleading. So there are 4 classes presently, and each has 3 exclusive to the class skill trees. There is also a shared pool of additional skill trees which more than covers the more tradional elder scrolls options. You can also unlock additional skill trees during the game. For example, the use of a fireball staff is covered by the Destruction Staff skill, which is availible to every class. Boosting sneak/hiding skills, pick pocket, and locking picking is also a shared skill tree. Joining the Mages Guild, also an additional skill tree, this one lots of magical powers. You can make an entirely competent character that doesn't use any of their class abilties. And my class choice has yet to come up in-game through NPC interactions. 

Regarding the Cash Store. I think the game is plenty good without paying anything. DLC is bought though their cash store, as are things XP boosters, alternate appearance options, and fancy mounts. I bought a few things: an upgrade option that expands my race selection options per faction, a long beard facial hair option, and some blacksmithing appearance options. I didn't need any of these, the game plays just fine without them, but I'm happy with what I got. 

Oh, and because it costs to get the base game, I've encountered way less random jerks shouting profanity or blaring music. 

For a rating, I suppose 5/5 as an MMORPG for the PS4. 4/5 when comparing with MMORPGs availible to other platforms (I've played quite a few). 3/5 when just comparing to other games in general (MMORPGs sacrifice quite a bit in order to be so multi-player). So vs generic other games, it's a good casual game with lots of content for extended play, but there's nothing unique or amazing here. It's still the best MMORPG on the PS4, right now. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Horizon: Zero Dawn last night (around 4am.. just couldn't stop).   I really enjoyed the game.  The main story unfolds like solving a mystery as the game progresses (basically, what exactly happened to bring about a world populated by barbaric human tribes and animal-like machines?) , felt like an interesting new take on post-apocalyptic genre.  Combat controls were simple enough without just being button-mashing (ammunition type and accuracy counts for a lot).  Comparatively, Witcher 3 combat was overly complex IMO.  Good mix of stealth and combat.  Beautiful graphics.  I'll buy the sequel as soon as it comes out for sure.

9/10 (always room to improve, but top notch all around).

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds 

Despite the cumbersome name, if you don't absolutely hate shooters you should buy this game.  100 people parachute out of an airplane and have to grab the randomly distributed loot and try to be the last person alive.  Every few minutes the 8km x 8km map is constricted into smaller and smaller safe zones forcing  conflict to occur.  You can play solo, duo or a 3 or 4 man team.

Playing this has been some of the most tense and fun gaming I have had in very long time.   From slowly crawling through a wheat field hoping to not get sniped and trying to catch a glimpse of the other person you think is also crawling through your field to parachuting onto the same rooftop as someone else and trying to frantically punch them out while they try to frantically load the revolver they picked up.  

Its $30 in early access on Steam  and actually is the 3rd most played game on Steam right now.    

10/10  

• Like 1

Bored, but don't want to spend money, so revisiting games already in my PS4 library. Gave No Man's Sky a second chance, which is the first time I've played since it lauched. They've added a bunch of features, but it's still an aweful game with basically the same problems (just more ways to get frustraited with those same problems). Disappointing, was hoping they'd have worked out the kinks by now. 

• 1 month later...

(PS4 games)

Titan Fall 2: Got the game to play with my little brother. Reminds me of Tribes. I like it, though enjoyment is largely dependent on who you meet online. Maybe 4/5 or a low standards 5/5, nothing really creative in this game, but it runs very smooth and, with the right people, can be very fun. 

Overlord Fellowship of Evil: Got the game because the script for the game was written by the daughter of Terry Pratchett. The preqel got paise for their script (same author) and there's a really good anime based on this game series. That said, this game is crap. G-rated "evil" adventures. Nothing special in the script, so far. Bland. There's some amusing visual gags in the background, but the game plays like a lesser version of Gauntlet. Does have Coop options, so maybe if I try it with others, it will be a more impressive game. 2/5 for now, it's playable, but I'm glad I got it cheap. Oh, and the entire game is completely linear, with no real choices at all (a bad game can be very fun with lots of customization options, but this game has none).

Okay, despite suggestions against, I picked up Vermintide: The End Times. I give it a 1/5. It's bad. Really bad. Didn't hold my interest for an hour. PSN return policy says no returns once download, so this was a big waste on that end. 

As far as I can tell, game has very little content (very few maps) and is largely dependent on Multiplayer for any enjoyment. I joined a party online with 3 others, played for a bit, left, came back, and the random multiplayer found those same 3 players. I think there may have only been 4 of us on the entire NA server...No co-op option within the same screen, as far as I can tell, just multiple console play. You can play the multi-player with bots for allies, which really doesn't change much (simple game, so human or bot doesn't matter much), but the game is still woefully lacking. 

That said, I do think the Skaven work better than Zombies (game is a left 4 dead clone). I also like the medieval setting and some of the mechanics. Game is clearly trying too hard to compete with FPS shooters, which really works against the settings.  At times, game feels like they almost have a successful live action D&D game going (like a live action dungeon crawl with a theif, cleric, wizard and warrior), but it doesn't maintain that feel and drifts into failure.

An ironic additional failure for the game is how focused the game is on product placement, yet the game's setting has been replaced by AoS, so none of the product placement matches up with the new game. 1/5. 

I will note that the game seems much more kid friendly than the left 4 dead games were. It's still evil rats with black blood oozing out after every dismembering attack (and almost every attack dismembers), but I haven't noticed much swearing and the skaven aren't people, so I do think it's a bit more kid friendly. I feel like they really should have focused on this and made the game more kid focused, as the simplistic controls are very child friendly and is somewhat insulting for my enjoyment. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing Human Fall Flat. It's a little over a year old and has some extra content now. It's essentially a rag doll physics obstacle course. You are able to walk, jump and grab onto things. Each level consists of a series of obstacles that have one or more solutions. I recommend it for people who like physics-strategy, dexterity and puzzle solving. I like it because it isn't time sensitive nor does it penalize you for dying. The progress you lose is trivial. I recommend a control pad with two thumb sticks because camera control is crucial. It's a really fun game. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wolfenstein the new Colossus: /drool. Super fun game, albeit a bit short. Not worth $60 due to length but definitely a steam sale purchase. Had a great time playing through it, though. I'm sure I'll give it another run in the near future. 

South park: the fractured but whole: also way fun in a 'final fantasy 2 meets dick jokes" kinda way. This was another short game clocking in at about 13-18 hours. Not worth full retail, definite steam sale pickup. 

Far cry, primal: for the most part I can't stand far cry. Sandbox gathering games with shooter aspects drive me nuts. With that said, primal is the first far cry game I've really enjoyed since 1. The combats extremely visceral (being mostly melee-oriented) & the side quests are a lot of fun. The ability that allows the player to tame & then ride a god damn sabretooth tiger should be something that's in every game!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gwent 3/5.

The game is solid, and it's fun, but it's clearly pay to play and designed so a player needs to keep buying or devote just tons of time towards it. Additionally, they can't do math, or deliberately mislead, buyers with "best value" tags on the worst priced items within their store.

Grand Kingdom Demo 2/5

One of those anime games where they have drawn 2d graphics, and other anime themes, added to a partially 3d game. That said, game is more tactical combat, which is really hindered by the cutsy graphics. I'd suggest I'm not in the target age range, but with swearing, misogynist protagonists, and suggestive themes, I don't really feel this one is good for kids either. Tactics are interesting, and the mechanics aren't bad, safe for many counter intuitive UI issues. Game is very much pay to play, which is futher hindered by the high $40 price tag on the game. The Demo, on the other hand, was surprising long and allows semi-online play to continue after the free tutorial in a limited capacity (you know, so paying players have someone to beat on). Despite it all, the game is actually kinda fun, which is hindered hugely by the above many issues. 

Winning Putt. It's a golfing MMO F2P/P2W. I can't recommend it unless you want to play a golfing game. It includes matched play where you compete against other players for ranking. You end up dungeon crawling in instances trying to get eagles for swing food/3pc balls and gold to pay for enchantments. You also end up leveling alts to gather crafting materials for better clubs and enchanting materials. Very polite and helpful community. If you start with a power toon you won't start to see the bad side of power vs accuracy until about level 23-25 so be warned. Accuracy you will be out ranged by everyone all the time but once you get the backspin skill/Fairway driver skill it makes up for it. Just make sure you stay in the fairway or you are screwed.

• Like 1

Deathwatch (PS4), 3/5, maybe more.

I think it launched at $60. Reduced to $40, and now on black friday sale for $24-ish. Still too expensive, but I bought it at this price. There's about $10 worth of content in this game. Total install 2.55 GB, to give an idea...

That said, I'm enjoying this game. Turn based 5-man death watch team Vs tyranids as a single player game. Lots of rather annoying features, but the game is very simple and there's something relaxing about that.

I will note that there is ZERO character customization options. You can't pick chapter, name, appearance or class in the slignest. Instead, you gain random pre-built characters as you progress. So like I have a SW Deathwatch Devastator named Bjorn the Kraken Slayer, which was awarded randomly to me and I had no choices there. I can choose their weapons to a minor degree, and upgrade them with minor wargear and trait options, but there's no real customization options here.