Rate the Last PC/Console Game You Played

Hoping to get short reviews of games others have used. Doesn't have to be a game you spent much time on. Useful to know what's out there and we have similar threads in warpspace for other topics. So, format is pretty freeform, but please include the name of the game, the platform you used it on (like PC or PS4), a rating, and at least a short description of the rating or game. 

Minecraft Story Mode (episode 1). PS4. 7/10. Sort of a movie with dialog options and choices. You don't really have much control in this game, as you are mostly watching the characters in the game and only a sometimes participating in the game. I got my copy for free and I do recommend the free version to people of all ages. It's fun and cute and a decent use of about 4 hours...but that's it. There is a replay-ability in that those few choice you do have impact the storyline in a tree manner, resulting in alternate storylines, but I don't really feel very compeled to try again after the first time because the plot and the characters are so very unimpressive (and the main protagonist is a pathetic person). 

Well still playing really...

Race The Sun which I picked up for free on Steam awhile ago and recently made it the max level so I have unlocked all the goodies and power ups. 

A nice twitch maze game of sorts you fly a solar powered aircraft towards the setting sun picking up speed boots, jump boots, and special collision portals to save you along the way. I have made it level 6 so far and from the achievements listed it looks like I can if I every get good enough make to level 9.

The world changes every day so you can't memorize it.

There is also an apocalypse mode which is way harder and a labyrinth mode where you don't run out of sun but it is full of narrow paths to navigate that are unlocks.

But it is great in 5 to 10 minute does of playtime.

Dark souls 1 (Steam): Oh cool. I killed some guys. I'm kind of a badass. YEAH! High five. Whoa, is that a dragoOOOOHGODWHYYYY?!?!? IT BURRNNNNSS!!  10/10

Bloodborne (PS4) : Neat! Another game from FromSofOHWHATTHE[big bad swear word]HOWDIDTHATGUYKILLMESOFASTTHATSNOTEVENPOSSIBLE!!!  10/10

Dark Souls 3 (PS4): Nice! After all that other stuff I think I'm getting pretty good at this Dark Souls stuff. What's this Ashes of AriaOHGODDAMNITIHATEYOUFROMSOFT! 10/10

• Like 1

Skyrim on PS4. Exactly the same as it was on PC, but with slightly worse graphics (my PC was awesome before it fried...). I haven't tried any of the mods yet, as I'm going for achievements now (almost had all of them on steam... and they are the same achievements for the PS4).

Probably the best exclusively single player game out there right now, is skyrim. They could have certainly done better, but I'll still give it a 10/10. Much better than Fallout 4, unfortunately. They were smart to not release the PS4 version until after fallout 4 ran it's course (never would have bought fallout 4 if skyrim had been as it is now for the PS4).

• 4 weeks later...

Tried the free to play option on Pinball Arcade. It is actually a really sweet emulator of commercial tables.

I broke down and got the season with The Addams Family, Cyclone, and Earthshaker as it was on sale for the holiday and those 3 are tables I happily dropped many a quarter into in my younger days.

Wargame: Red Dragon -

On sale on steam 70% off

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251060/

This is one of my favorite RTS games of all time.  Mid 80's early 90's Nato vs. Warsaw Pact (Plus Asian counterparts, and now Scandinavian, Yugoslavian and Israeli)  

2045119-679868_20130628_001.jpg

For me, this game did for Team Yankee what Dawn of War did for Warhammer 40k. Wow that's cool. Oh there's a miniatures game?  Damn, that terrain is cool!

Also, now every time I fly, the terrain just looks like a big Wargame map...

wargame_airland_battle-38.jpg

WargameALBtxtscr_002-large.jpg

• Like 2

Been playing all sorts of things since the Cyber Monday sale.

The Red Solstice - Diablo-like interface for a space-marine game.  In the single-player you manage a squad of 4 marines trying to reclaim a base on partially-terraformed Mars fighting again bugs.  Pacing is good and rewards tactical play, not zerging.  Supports co-op multiplayer as well but I have not gotten to do that yet.

Satellite Reign - Cyberpunk role-playing.  The interface is simple enough and the premise is good to start out but I have not gotten far into it.  You've got (near as I can tell) a party of four with four archetypes.  It appears possible to use one archetype multiple times although I have not done that.

Stellaris and Red Dragon as well.

• Like 1

Skyrim (updated version) - never finished the first one as got distracted with other games.  Coming back to try and enjoying it again.

LoL - too many hours on this one as I have played since beta and have all characters and probably a few hundred dollars of skins

Hearthstone - enjoy a quick game now and then.  Good simple stuff

Warframe - my current time sink.  Free to play but you will need to spend a little money if you want to get anywhere.  You can get plat discount codes (25/50/75% off) at times that will cut any costs you do spend down.  Nothing like playing a space ninja.  I play PC, but also on XBOX and I think PS4.

Warframe - my current time sink.  Free to play but you will need to spend a little money if you want to get anywhere.  You can get plat discount codes (25/50/75% off) at times that will cut any costs you do spend down.  Nothing like playing a space ninja.  I play PC, but also on XBOX and I think PS4.

Yeah, on PS4. It can fun, and is more fun with a group that has mics. Definitely pay-to-play. Pretty normal prices as far as pay-to-play goes. You can actually enjoy and play without paying anything, it can be done, but it's definitely set up so playing with out paying is very difficult.

Game is okay. I enjoyed on ps4, but it runs into the same issues most online PS4 games have, especially free ones, just that not all the players are there to make it fun for other players too....

Let it Die (PS4): 5/5 (much of this rating is probably nostalgia, not actual content of the game)

Okay, so this is a very strangely presented, very normal old school hack and slash RPG designed as if you were playing in a quarter arcade. It's free to download, but if you want more "quarters" you have to buy them (at about 50 cents each).

Ignore the plot, it's basically them explaining copyright aspect of the game, and is downright confusing at times. Long tutorial too. I think they call Quarters "Death metal" or something, but I remember them as quarters. Some quests also give quarters as rewards, but it isn't enough to be considered a consistent option.

Game is about you being compelled to get to the top of the tower, while hacking your way though multiple levels of baddies. Game has a modern/steampunk/zombie tech level, but really plays like an old fantasy dungeon crawl in many respects. 3rd person perspective for the game. No dialogue, no magic, very limited tactical options, just hack and slash.

Game has some quirky features, which I like, starting with the ability to have multiple "lives". Each Life is a physical body stored in a freezer when you aren't using it. They each have their own levels and gear.

So you'll die eventually, the then game pauses and presents you two choices: You can ditch this dead body and grab one of your extra lives from the freezer, or you can put a quarter in and get full health instantly. And that is pretty much all the Pay to play does.

Now, if you go to another life from the freezer, the life you left doesn't go away, it roams as a zombie with all your gear. You, or other players, then have to kill it, in order for it to return to the freezer (doesn't matter who kills it, you get your body back if someone kills it). This is mostly a fun dynamic, but it does mean that even the low level areas could have really tough dead PCs roaming it.

Basically, if you want to wrecklessly dungeoncrawl, pay to play is the answer. If you want to be more cautious, you can play without paying and you have 3 lives with which to do so. I haven't paid anything yet.

Starting out, you can't buy any gear in town (called the Waiting Room). Just punches until you rob gear off the dead. Eventually you will find blueprints, which let you take them to a very hilter-looking merchant who will research them (requires crafting components to research), and then you can just buy them from him with normal currency (I've been calling them gold, but I think they are officially "Death Coins").

You can also sneak up on frogs and grab them, eat them, or throw them at enemies....Potions too, you basically can eat or throw animals and potions. I've accidentally drank sleeping potions - on the PS4 it's the same button, just pushed differently. So I just stand there, I move a little, as wobbly sleep walk, but I can't do anything else until the duration expires. Very silly fun.

• 1 month later...

Been playing through Darksiders again since I was able to pick it up for $4 on steam. Fantastic game. The beginning sequence is always a ton of fun and very cinematic.

Darksiders is an amazing game. It's like everything wrong with Zelda got fixed & made for grown ups. Darksiders 2 I'm having trouble getting into, though. Not sure why.

Darksiders is an amazing game. It's like everything wrong with Zelda got fixed & made for grown ups. Darksiders 2 I'm having trouble getting into, though. Not sure why.

I had the same problem sadly. maybe I burnt myself out on the games after spending so much time on 1. I may try to come back to it in the near future to see if I feel better about it.

I tried the beta for Nioh on the ps4 as I not only hate myself enough to play a dark souls clone but one made by Team Ninja (the guys that made ninja gaiden for the PlayStation). After dying to the same boss 32 times & giving up in a rage I have to say...LOVE IT! My only complaint is its mission based & not open world. The combat rocks. The mechanics are fluid & feel pretty natural & the maps & monsters are well designed. Overall I'm excited to pick it up next month.

Resident evil 7 is also making some waves & the reviews all say it's great. Did anyone pick it up & have any critique?

So there are 2 games I've been playing pretty consistently recently:

Caves of Qud - It's a roguelike RPG with very simple graphics, but deep gameplay. Currently in Early Access but constantly seeing improvements, it's worth buying on sale if you like post-apocalyptic RPGs. It has a fun feel and a lot of replayability. But if you need more of a pitch, here's this:

Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT PLANTS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT ANIMALS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT BUGS. Kill a bear and EAT IT, just EAT AN ENTIRE BEAR. KILL EVERYTHING. Descend into the DEPTHS OF THE WORLD and retrieve ANCIENT TECHNOLOGICAL ARTIFACTS. KNIFE-FIGHT a GIANT DRILL ROBOT and WIN. Be a COOL WASTELAND KNIGHT. Be a TWO-FISTED COWBOY. Be a HOMICIDAL NINJA TURTLE with an AXE and a SHOTGUN. SPONTANEOUSLY BURST INTO FLAMES. Get into a GUNFIGHT with a HYENA-MONSTER and accidentally anger a HERD OF MAJESTIC HULKING DEMON HORSES with your crossfire. Fly into the air like a BEAUTIFUL EAGLE and then SWORD-FIGHT a GIANT DRAGONFLY. MIND CONTROL a TWO-HEADED BOAR and MAKE IT WEAR CHAIN MAIL and KILL YOUR ENEMIES. Encounter a LEGENDARY PLANT with an INTIMIDATING SKULL MASK and the ability to THROW FIERY DEATH FROM ITS HANDS. CONTRACT HORRIFYING DISEASES. Go to THE DEATHLANDS and discover that THE DEATHLANDS are called THE DEATHLANDS because they will KILL YOU DEAD. HACK OFF A ROBOT’S HEAD AND EAT IT. Get into a SLEDGEHAMMER DUEL with a ‘ROIDED-OUT SUPERCANNIBAL. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE that you BREAK A BOX OF CRAYONS attempting to figure out what it is. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY GIFTED that you can make an ACID GRENADE out of a PLASTIC TREE and a FOLDING CHAIR. Build your own FLAMETHROWER. Build your own LASER GUN. Build your own HANDHELD NUCLEAR BOMB and BLOW YOURSELF UP WITH IT. Collect MAGMA in a CANTEEN. Pour MAGMA into a pool of ACID to see what happens. DRINK MAGMA. TELEPATHICALLY LOCATE an enemy and HATE IT TO DEATH with your TERRIFYING BRAIN SORCERY. Have your LEGS CUT OFF and then REGROW YOUR LEGS and pick up your previous legs and EAT YOUR OWN LEGS. Encounter your EVIL TWIN and then summon six of your own GOOD TWINS to fight your evil twin’s SIX EVIL TWIN TWINS in a FOURTEEN-WAY PSYCHIC LASER DEATH RAVE and then BURN TO DEATH when all of the combined PYROKINETIC MIND FIRE from all of the TIME CLONES causes the ENTIRE MAP TO COMBUST AND MELT.

The other game I've been playing is probably of more interest to the group here: Warhammer 40k: Sanctus Reach. It's a pretty good implementation of the tabletop rules into a PC format. While it only has 2 armies currently (Space Wolves and Orks), they are well-done. I haven't played 40k since 3rd edition, so I honestly don't know if it faithfully reproduces the tabletop game, but I know it really feels like a tabletop game. And while I'm no huge fan of Space Vikings, I do love Space Marines in general and love the feeling when my Terminators shrug off round after round of gretchin blunderbuss shot.

It also lets you design and field your own army from a list of possibilities, which I always loved about the tabletop game.

• Like 1