Still tinkering with list concepts, but for GG league (it has to be ITC legal), thinking something like this:

DA (Consecrators) Battle Demi-Company

Company Master (TDA, Shroud of Heroes, CF)

Tactical Squad (5, ML)

-Razorback (Las/TL Plas)

Tactical Squad (5, ML)

-Razorback (Las/TL Plas)

Tactical Squad (5, HB)

-Razorback (TL Las)

Assault Squad (5, Jump Packs)

Devastor Squad (5, 4x MM)

Dreadnought Squadron (3, 3x TL Las + ML)

IK Oathsworn Detachment 

Paladin (Icarus Autocannon)

SM (Ultramarines) Suppression Force

Whirlwind Squadron (2)

Land Speeder Squadron (2, 2x dual heavy bolters)

Total 1850pts

Basic concepts: Company master deep strikes with the assault squad, who function mostly as a body guard, since the demi-company can't take any terminator squads. Demi-company makes entire detachment objective secured and BS 3 in overwatch (includes the dreads for overwatch, but not the transports). Not decided on heavy weapon selections, but will likely be some combination of those weapons (with plasma cannons being a waste of BS 3 overwatch). Paladin is general purpose, but covers the otherwise lack of AA nicely, without actually having to devote a unit. I'm a big fan of including barrage in every army, so the suppression force is mainly for that - it really isn't a huge point investment, and I do think that having the option for unlimited range on the whirlwinds will pan out in some games. Speeders are always useful, plus the DA ones cost more (+5pts). I went dual heavy bolters speeders because I expect to be jinking in most situations, so being able to hit while snapping is what I'll need. As for weak points, it's meant as an all comers list, so it's weak to very specialized armies. Otherwise, this army is mostly slow and doesn't have any psychic solutions, other than killing the enemy psykers. 

My first thought too!

Pax: The Pax Imperialis is the name, in-universe, for the Imperial Truth.

I could switch it, but then thread title wouldn't really make sense with regard to my posts. I would have done "imperium," but I thought it was too close to "emporium" which again, skews the topic. 

Though if I do ever get my act together enough to start a trade thread like Pretre's, I should probably title it Pax Emporia

• 2 weeks later...

Still tinkering without actually fielding anything. Mainly, I'm painting and trying to stay motivated.

Anyway, an interesting list concept:

DA Lion's Blade (3 subdetachments, totalling at 1,410pts)

Battle Demi-Company (530pts)

(bare minimum, plus 1 command squad)

Hammer of Caliban (665pts)

LRR, 3 vindicators and a techmarine 

Inner Circle (215pts)

Azrael

Ultramarines Allied Detachment (195pts)

Chronus (Hunter)

Tactical Squad (5)

List totals at 1,605pts, leaving 245pts for fleshing out units. Could easily drop the command squad (90pts) and use assault marines there, depends if I need the points. 

The general idea is that the Command Squad, chaplain/company master, azrael, and techmarine load up into that Land Raider. Makes for one big target, but one they have to deal with. Basically, infantry protect the tanks, land raider protects the vindicators, contents of land raider function for counter charges. Main goal of the list is just one or two turns firing that Vindicator apocalyptic blast with ignores cover (which gains tank hunters and monster hunter from the formation). List viability rests highly on the durability of the land raider and the opponent's inability to destroy it or just stay out of range.

Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Okay, so looks like that Imperial Knight on indefinite suspension. Ordered a very large Tallarn lot on ebay (120, or so, unpainted metal tallarn guardsmen....), which should arrive sometime after christmas. Given the ITC's 3 detachment limit (and, frankly, it being tough to field more than 3 detachments in non-apocalypse games), it means the imperial knights will not be a realised faction. 

So I'll have Tallarn, Consecrators, and Ultramarines. That should make for a good mix of weapons, units, and solutions to things. Plus it solves the question of what to do with my unfinished baneblade (make it Tallarn...).

• 3 weeks later...

Messing around with concepts. Okay DW Banner (20pts) or Chapter banner (25pts) grants +1 attack to the unit. Eziekel adds another +1 attack to DA within 6". No indication that they don't stack, so should be very easy to make a Regular/DW command squad with 5 swings each, 6 on the charge. Not sure how practical such a unit would be, but that is a lot of swings. Was thinking about bringing Eziekel anyway, if only because I think tzeentch is going to be more common in the future so I really need some psykers...Also, since I'm working on Khorne Daemonkin, might be fun to sport some daemonic summoning, despite the herectical applications. Costs are pretty minimal for SM, DW command with banner and 5x LC terminators is 220pts, while the PA command is 115pts with banner and 5x BP+CCW marines.

Main thing is that Eziekel, despite having the DW rule, cannot actually deep strike on his own, so has to rely on a transport for his command squad. 

I was going to ask if you were utilizing the Fall of Cadia in your thoughts, but then I remembered DA still have their own book.

Yeah....

Okay, not sure if it's going to happen, but casual list for 40k today at GG:

DA "Consecrators" CAD (1,215pts)

HQ Eziekel

Elites Command Squad (5, 5 chapter banner)

Troops Tactical Squad (5, Plasma Gun)

-Dedicated Razorback (Heavy bolter)

Troops Tactical Squad (5, Melta Gun)

-Razorback (Heavy Bolter)

Heavy Support LR Achilles

LoW Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer

AM "Tallarn" Allied Detachment (484pts) 

HQ Psyker (Level 2)

Troops Platoon

-Command Squad (5, 4x melta guns, 1x plasma pistol)

-Infantry Squad (10, Sniper Rifle, Heavy Bolter)

-Infantry Squad (10, Sniper Rifle, Heavy Bolter)

-Heavy Weapons Squad (3, Lascannons)

-Heavy Weapons Squad (3, Lascannons)

-Heavy Weapons Squad (3, Autocannons)

Assassin Detachment (150pts)

-Vindicare Assassin

Grand Total 1849pts. Should be ITC legal. Most of this army is WYSIWYG (not everything, several unfinished models in mix), every infantry model is metal or at least partially metal...

Actually, it would be a great use of your IK, Marines, and Guardsman in a single formation, and take your DA as a second formation.

Think I mentioned it, no more IK. Adding the Tallarn pushed my imperials beyond the 3 detachment limit for ITC, so I put that project on indefinite hold. Actually looking to sell/trade that codex, if someone needs a current IK codex. 

• 1 month later...

Really having issues with motivation lately.

Okay, 1850pt list for tonight (GG league), in progress. I've started, but not finished, a pair of AM Destroyer Tank Hunters (Forge World rules, homemade because FW doesn't sell them and I couldn't find any for trade/ebay) - so getting those on the table and tested is really the priority with tonight's list.

DA CAD 

(Undecided, but based on the cost of the other two detachments, this detachment will cost 1,115pts...)

AM Allied Detachment (Total Detachment cost 530pts)

HQ Primaris Psyker (Force Stave, Pistol, Level 2) 75pts

Troops Veteran Squad (10, Plasma Pistol, Melta Gun) 85pts

-Taurox 50pts

Heavy Destroyer Tank Hunter Squadron (2) 320pts

SM (Ultramarines) Allied Detachment (Total Detachment Cost 205pts)

HQ Chronus 50pts

-Hunter 70pts

Troops Tactical Squad (5, 1x Missile Launcher) 85pts

1850pts, complete list. More about fielding units that are WYSIWYG, getting out of the house, and testing some fun units. Like most of my armies, it's really light on anti-horde, and really heavy on anti-tank...

DA CAD 

(Total Detachment Cost 1,108pts)

HQ Company Commander (TDA, Chainfist, Shroud, SB) 145pts

HQ Librarian (TDA, Force Sword, SB, Level 2) 115pts

Elites DW Terminators (5, TH/SS, Cyclone) 275pts

Troops Scouts (5, HB) 63pts

Troops Tactical (5, Flamer, Fist) 100pts

-Razorback (HB) 55pts

LoW Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer 355pts

AM Allied Detachment (Total Detachment cost 530pts)

HQ Primaris Psyker (Force Stave, Pistol, Level 2) 75pts

Troops Veteran Squad (10, Plasma Pistol, Melta Gun) 85pts

-Taurox 50pts

Heavy Destroyer Tank Hunter Squadron (2) 320pts

SM (Ultramarines) Allied Detachment (Total Detachment Cost 205pts)

HQ Chronus 50pts

-Hunter 70pts

Troops Tactical Squad (5, 1x Missile Launcher) 85pts

Total is 1842pts. Warlord is the DA Company Commander. I have 4 psychic dice no special formation rules to remember (other than that ultramarine thing).

Ugh, I knew mine was a lacking list going into it, but I got wasted pretty decisively. Opponent had eldar, with 17 D weapons and two large blobs of scatterlaser jetbikes. Plus he had some formation, that allowed him additional shooting phases with his D weapon units. No tanks and no flyers, so most of my offensive was wasted. I killed 3 wraithguard all game, though I did concede prematurely (opponent was timid - he didn't seem to be aware that he could have wiped me by turn 2 without real effort or losses).

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm....was painting while watching TV and before I knew it, I had a new paint scheme that I liked for my marines. Sort of a Khorne Daemonkin + Ultramarines paint theme. I call them "Smiling Skulls" Space Marines.

WP_20170308_10_37_18_Pro.thumb.jpg.e08660ade38ea7d1020aa77448e34a29.jpg

WP_20170308_10_37_37_Pro.thumb.jpg.c414d55b50f0ca5d6dc2fde6e1870307.jpg

WP_20170308_10_37_25_Pro.thumb.jpg.5512ccd411bcc0381a5b3e6b305bfc61.jpg

Color seems a bit off in the photos, model is slightly brighter blue and slightly deeper red. Probably the lighting. Anyway, this was the test model. Certainly imperfect, but I'm somewhat opposed to perfection so it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, looks like I'm ditching the DA and the Ultramarines in my army, for these "Smiling Skulls" Space Marines (still ultramarine rules). I'll have these models double as my CSM portion of the Khorne Daemonkin.

5 hours ago, WestRider said:

I like it! :D

I might have to fool around and make something similar for the Nurgle symbol, since he's supposed to be all jovial and stuff.

Thanks.

I realized later that painting them mostly red is basically the paint scheme for my old Exorcists. So my marines have gone from Red, to green (DA), to black (Consecrators DA), and back to Red. I think I really like red as a color for marines....lol

The Consecrators were nice, but their chapter logo (sort of a winged chalice with a burning candle) was really hard to paint. So most models were incomplete, which really bugged me. This one is super simple to paint. I'm using a reversed paint scheme for my Librarians, so blue bodies and red heads (yeah, my Shining Skulls will have some librarians in the mix).

Was comparing books, can't believe I overlooked that SM terminators are base 175pts - no wonder my DA are struggling. We're paying more for terminators that have less formation access, and formations really are the way 40k is playing these days. And the other end is that I really don't use the DA bikes, which is the DA strong point in the current meta. Codex doesn't really fit my play style, at least, it doesn't fit due to the current meta. 

Got a box of Plastic GW Savage Orcs (box of 20), which I'm going to use as bloodletters (red skinned orcs with molten weapons and glowing green eyes). Painting them and the Bloodthirster now, pics when I get them presentable. Even with my loyalists, I intend to summon daemons (or at least, attempt to summon them). 

Anyway, presently trying to figure out a good mix of Astra Militarum (Tallarn) and Space Marines (Smiling Skulls) for the GG league. Suggestions welcome, especially with regards to formations, as I really don't use them much.

I really need to start planning these ahead more. Another "Just get it on the table" 1850pt list for tonight's GG league. Not sure if the double CAD is ITC legal, but I'll accept that it might not be and go anyway (I have to leave very soon). 

AM CAD

CCS (ML with flakk, PP, Astropath) 125pts

Primaris Psyker (Level 2) 75pts

Primaris Psyker (Level 2) 75pts

Bullgryns (3, Slab Shields) 145pts

Ratlings (3) 30pts

Ratlings (3) 30pts

Platoon 231pts

-PCS (4x grenade Launchers, PP)

-Infantry Squad 1 (Lascannon, PG, Bolter)

-Infantry Squad 2 (Lascannon, MG, Laspistol)

Platoon 306pts

-PCS (4x grenade Launchers, PP)

-Infantry Squad 1 (Lascannon, PG, Bolter)

-Infantry Squad 2 (Lascannon, MG, Laspistol)

-Heavy Weapon Squad (3 Autocannons) 

Sentinel (HF+HK) 45

Sentinel (HF+HK) 45

SM (Ultramarines) CAD

Librarian (Level 2) 90pts

Librarian (Level 2, TDA, Warlord) 115pts

Venerable Dreadnought (MM+ML) 135pts

Tactical Squad (10, MM, PG) 165pts

-Rhino 35pts

Tactical Squad (10, MM, PG) 165pts

-Rhino 35pts

Whirlwind 65pts