AoS Chaos Warriors of Slaanesh

scottshoemaker

So I thought I wanted to paint these guys with a purple tint.  I preshaded them then hit them with some Ghost Tint purple, then higlighted them with light grey and a very pale fleshtone, but I'm not digging them.  I'll try a pale fleshtone glaze later and see if it works, if it doesn't I'll airbush white over the exposed skin and try just a maiden flesh look.

marauders03.JPG

• Like 1

Learned a trick for non tinting washes.

I wanted to shade the recesses with a fleshy pink tone, but I didn't want the highlights to stain.  I first airbrushed the models with gloss varnish, then mixed up the shade, just added one drop of the pink to 5 drops flesh, and then 6 drops gloss.  The gloss of the wash and the glossed miniature repelled each other, allowing the wash to settle in the recesses while beading up off the high spots.

marauders04.JPGmarauders05.JPG

marauders06.JPG

Then I picked up this Mailifaux mini for my Daemon Prince:

marauders07.JPG

I cleaned up the black from the flesh airbrushing, did a base grey airbrush highlight, and hit that highlight with Badger Minitaire Magenta.

marauders08.JPG

marauders09.JPG

In either case, I'm still not happy with how the flesh turned out.  

I think I'll set these aside and work on the warriors.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I preshaded these guys, but I inverted the location of the shade so in a broad sense they are lighter on the bottom than on the top.  I figured this would present a more unnatural look to the minis:

chaoswarriors03.JPG

Then I used Badger Minitare Ghost Tint Magenta right over the top.  I ended up laying down about 3 layers of this.  The first layer looked pink, the send layer had a more lilac tint,  but the 3rd finally had the rich magenta I was after.  After it cured overnight I put on a layer of Future to seal it up, then I washed it with a 2:1 mix of Future/Vallejo Black Wash with a drop of Flow improver, being careful to not let the wash pool up.  By laying down a gloss seal first and mixing gloss with the wash it prevents the wash from tinting the color I put down first, so it flows into the recesses.  It also helps mitigate tide marks.  I had tested this earlier and was satisfied with the results, but I'm very happy with the ratio for these guys.  Much too shiny right now, but now I can work on the other metals by brush.

chaoswarriors04.JPG

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...