Race to LVO - Death Guard

evil_bryan

After I was committed to attending the Las Vegas Open, I was waffling back and forth on what to play.

I decided that Death Guard would be pretty straight forward, allow me to use the new Traitor Legion book, and pretty easy to build a list for the 40K Friendly. Also, many of these models were painted or partially painted so I would have an easy time.

Here is the list I sent off for approval:

SONS OF MORTARION - DEATH GUARD VECTORIUM

Plague Colony (Core)
7 Plague Marines (2 Meltaguns, Champion has Melta Bombs and a Power Axe) - 208 points
7 Plague Marines (2 Meltaguns, Champion has Melta Bombs and a Power Axe) - 208 points
7 Plague Marines (2 Plasmaguns, Champion has Melta Bombs and a Power Axe) - 218 points
7 Plague Marines (2 Plasmaguns, Champion has Melta Bombs and a Power Axe) - 218 points
7 Plague Marines (2 Flamers, Champion has Melta Bombs and a Power Axe) - 198 points
Chaos Lord (Mark of Nurgle, Sigil of Corruption, Palanquin of Nurgle, Plaguebringer) - 180 points

Lord of the Legion (Command)
Daemon Prince (Power Armor, Daemon of Nurgle, Mastery Level 3, Spell Familiar, Discipline of Nurgle) - 270 points

Spawn (Auxiliary)
2 Chaos Spawn (Mark of Nurgle) - 72 points

Total points - 1998

My approval was quick to come, so it was time to get this army ready. :)

The bulk of this army came from a trade and mostly consists of the metal Death Guard models. I had about 30 or so models from the trade, so my path was clear.
  • Inspect existing model to determine needs
  • Buy and build the remaining Death Guard models
  • Build a Nurgle Lord
  • Start and/or finishing painting models
  • Unify basing with the 3 models I have ready to go (Nurgle Prince and 2 Nurgle Spawn)

My easy path to success was quickly derailed at step 1. While inspecting the existing models, I noticed mold lines on the metal models, which has been primed and based coated over. There are just a few things in this world that I cannot abide, but things like mold lines and vegetarian bacon are on that list!

Time to update the list:

• Clean up existing models
  • Build a Nurgle Lord
  • Unify basing with the 3 models I have ready to go (Nurgle Prince and 2 Nurgle Spawn)
With tools in hand, I started working on the existing models. If you have never needed to clean up a model that already had paint on it, it can be a bit tricky. Sometimes you can simply address the problem area and re-prime / re-paint as needed. Other times, the condition of the existing paint determines a more aggressive approach. I am sure you can guess what was the case here. :) Yep, due to a horrible primer and poorly bonded base coat, it was time to update the task list again.
  • Strip existing models
  • Build a Nurgle Lord
If you need to both strip paint and clean up models, you should alway strip them first. Since these were metal models, I decided to take an aggressive approach....lacquer thinner! It makes quick work of the paint but can be a pain in the ass to work with. If you want to try it, make sure to get the low VOC stuff and wear gloves. At this point, you should mentally cut to a montage of me stripping paint and cleaning up models. :) During my own mental montage (which was actually days of work), I thought "Wouldn't it be cool to do Sector Imperialis bases for this project too?" Time to revisit the task list.

• Strip existing models
  • Buy Sector Imperialis bases
  • Build a Nurgle Lord
  • Paint the bases
In order to outline my exact place on this project, I think I will break out the Buy and Build step further.
    • 2 Flamers (built)
    • 6 Plasma (3 built)
    • 6 Melta
    • 7 Champions
    • 28 Bolters (21 built)
The last few models I need for this project are coming from a completed eBay auction. It was supposed to arrive yesterday but was delayed due to weather. Time for one last update to the task list:
  • Strip existing models
  • Buy Sector Imperialis bases
  • Wait for the snow in Portland to stop screwing me
    • 2 Flamers (built)
    • 6 Plasma (3 built)
    • 6 Melta
    • 7 Champions
    • 28 Bolters (21 built)
  • Build a Nurgle Lord
  • Paint the bases
I hope to add pictures to future post as I try and to cross things off my task list faster than I can add them back on it. :)

• Like 4

Looks like I am due for an update, and this time I will have pictures!

I am happy to report after my last snow delayed package arrived, I was able to finish construction on all troop models.

It is time for a big update to the task list:

• Strip existing models
  • Buy Sector Imperialis bases
  • Wait for the snow in Portland to stop screwing me
    • 2 Flamers (built)
    • 6 Plasma (built)
    • Melta (built)
    • 7 Champions (built)
    • 28 Bolters (built)
  • Build a Nurgle Lord
  • Paint the bases

Here are the 49 models ready to go:

med_gallery_1078_191_365330.jpg

When I finished up the 49 models last night around 1:00 AM, I had a little more gas in the tank. According to the task list, it is time to solve the problem of the Nurgle Lord.

With this model, I decided to start with the base. My reasoning for this was that I had taken a palanquin and it was going to complicate the basing. Thankfully, a couple of years ago I received a used finecast Epidemius model in a trade deal and I was happy to repurpose the palanquin from the model. There are no basing specifications in the CSM codex for taking a palanquin, so I decided to use a 60mm (it is also what comes in the Epidemius box.)

My one final thought was making the palanquin an optional upgrade in case I wanted to run the lord without it. To that end, I used a 32mm based on top of the palanquin to mount the model to.

Here is what it looks like:

med_gallery_1078_191_215746.jpg

To keep the smaller base in place, I mounted a styrene rod in the center of the palanquin to friction fit the 32mm base on top.

Here is what it looks like with the base removed:

med_gallery_1078_191_119845.jpg

I think I will end this post now before I think too hard on anything else that should be added to the task list. :)

• Like 7

Are the arms and legs from the Maggoth Lord kit?

No, the legs were from the CSM Possessed sprue and the arms were a composite build from leftover Blight Kings arms and the reason this build took so long. I had nothing that I thought would work well for his arms, so I went into full Frankenstein mode.

The gun arm consists of 4 pieces, and the scythe arm was 5 pieces in total (not including shoulder pads.) I just cycled (and recycled) through the following stages - planning, cutting, shaping, filing, pinning, testing, and gluing until they turned out.

I am extremely happy that they turned out as well as they did, and I'm proud to say they were built without the use of any green stuff. :)

Here is a close up view of the arms:

gallery_1078_191_8072.jpg

• Like 6

Today was the day for priming!

med_gallery_1078_191_866604.jpg

Though I do expect you to finish, this is exactly the stage you often see for Ebay armies for players that got overwhelmed and quit.....

Way to go brian, they look awesome. 

Base coating action!

I decided on using a pair of colors for the base coat of these model. I figured those colors would work well together. I also wanted to save a step and buy the Citadel Air paints.

med_gallery_1078_191_12988.jpg

So I loaded up a pair of airbrushes, and went to work on the test model.

med_gallery_1078_191_115792.jpg

I was pretty happy with the results, so I decided to go balls deep and do them all!

med_gallery_1078_191_1567188.jpg

The picture is a little washed out, but they all have a mottled look of green and brown. This will work!

The next step is to seal them with varnish before moving forward. Without that step, the washes would tint and muddy up the base coat.

Well, I think I have had a good hobby day so far. Time to step away and do something else nerdy for a while. :)

• Like 6