Annihilation 6: Fist Full of Annihilation - March 4, 2017

AgentP

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question on terminology.  Since it actually is possible to scorea Maelstrom point on the opponents turn, do you play to the end of the GAME turn in which 7 is acheived?  Or if you're going second, are you just kind of our of luck?

The first player to accumulate 7 set points wins the match. The game ends at the conclusion of either the turn where a player reaches 7 set points, or the end of turn 6, whichever comes first. If, at the end of turn six neither player has accumulated 7 set points (because they tied all six turns), or they both reach 7 points at the conclusion of turn 6, then both players are credited with a tie for the match.

It's 7 set points, not 7 maelstrom points. So, if, for instance, you win turn 1 (3 maelstrom vs 2 maelstrom), turn 2 (2 maelstrom vs 0 maelstrom), and turn 3 (2 maelstrom vs 0 maelstrom), you have 6 points from winning sets, not 7 points. You would play turn 4 and if you tied or won the number of maelstrom points that turn, you would win. Otherwise, another turn would play.

• Like 1

OK so at the end of the game turn is when its counted.  That makes sense.

You score tactical objective points as normal, ie at the end of each player turn. 

Then compare the totals at the end of the game turn.

Not to be persnickity, but I could see someone reading your post that you only see to score at the end of the game turn. Its player turn. I don't know that fulfilling an objective would be scored out of player turn.

You score tactical objective points as normal, ie at the end of each player turn. 

Then compare the totals at the end of the game turn.

Not to be persnickity, but I could see someone reading your post that you only see to score at the end of the game turn. Its player turn. I don't know that fulfilling an objective would be scored out of player turn.

there are some maelstroms that can be scored out of your turn.  I think Kingslayer or whatever its called is an example?  I'd have to look at them but I got the answer.  You COMPARE the game points at the end of the game turn.

Me-You

1 - 1 

2 -2 

2- -0

0- 2

0 - 2

So at end of round 5 game turn, you won because at end of game turn 5 you have 7 to my 5.

Yes, you compare match points at the end of each game turn.

This is all on the site:

Maelstrom Victory Points
This tournament uses a modified version of Maelstrom that has worked well for us in the past. It helps to think of it like a tennis match, ie. game-set-match.

You score tactical objective points as normal, ie at the end of each player turn. At the end of each GAME TURN you total who got the most tactical objective points for that turn. You only count points achieved that game turn, you do not carry over from previous game turns. (So unlike typical Maelstrom games, you don’t keep a running tally for the entire game). Whoever achieved the most tactical objective points won that turn. A win gets 2 set points. A tie gets each player 1 set point.

EXAMPLE: Susan achieves all three of her Maelstrom cards in turn 1, yielding her 3 Maelstrom points. Bob achieves only one his cards, but it’s a card that awards d3 maelstrom points. The tournament rules say d3 cards award a flat 2. So Susan wins GAME TURN 1, and is credited with 2 set points for her win.

The first player to accumulate 7 set points wins the match. The game ends at the conclusion of either the turn where a player reaches 7 set points, or the end of turn 6, whichever comes first. If, at the end of turn six neither player has accumulated 7 set points (because they tied all six turns), or they both reach 7 points at the conclusion of turn 6, then both players are credited with a tie for the match.

Winning the match is worth 6 battle points. A tie on the match is 3 battle points. In addition, you get one battle point for each of the four secondary objectives in the match. For a maximum possible 10 battle points each round.

It does now say that.  Cool.  Just wanted to make sure i understood.  i think i went to this before and also Fluger did it before and I seem to recall them dealing with it differently so I am just making sure as my memory isn't the greatest on that.

I think the first two may have handled it differently, but the last couple have done it like this.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2017 at 8:22 AM, AbusePuppy said:

To the best of my knowledge, the only maelstrom objective card you can score when it's not your turn is Recon- none of the others in the base deck (or the Supremacy deck) allow doing so, and I certainly don't recall any of the race-specific ones that let you do so.

There are a number from the Legions book: Pain is for the Weak, from the Death Guard, scores at the end of any Phase that you make 7+FNP Rolls. Thousand Sons have one that triggers at the end of your Opponent's Turn if you stopped a Power with DtW. World Eaters have a similar one, but it triggers immediately on passing the DtW roll. Alpha Legion have one to get a point immediately when one of their Cultie units is wiped. I think there are some in Angels of Death as well.

I kind of wish they'd come out with a pack that had the same backing as the generic CSM Deck, and just had the 1-6 for the various Legions or something. A similar one for the Loyalist Chapters would be nice, too.