Anyone Playing Malifaux?

Fixxer

I just got a few crews (Zipp & The Dreamer) and have been furiously painting them. These are some awesome models and extremely gratifying to paint up, lots of detail and character for sure. 

Just wondering if there are any folks in the Vancouver/PDX area that would like to get together and play. I have read the rules but still havent had a chance to get a game in with anyone. 

Anyway, whats the community like, is it dead already? or maybe in need of a resurgence? 

Cheers. 

I just got a few crews (Zipp & The Dreamer) and have been furiously painting them. These are some awesome models and extremely gratifying to paint up, lots of detail and character for sure. 

Just wondering if there are any folks in the Vancouver/PDX area that would like to get together and play. I have read the rules but still havent had a chance to get a game in with anyone. 

Anyway, whats the community like, is it dead already? or maybe in need of a resurgence? 

Cheers. 

Not that many players at GG on a regular basis, but there is a consistent presence on fridays. Usually about 4 players. There was a Malifaux tournament at GG a month or two ago, which was about the size of the 40k tournaments at GG. So the players exist, just not sure where they regularly play.

I haven't been playing lately, but if you want a practice game with someone that is shaky on the rules, I'm your guy. 

They're all playing Blood Bowl. You should be too.

Troll much, weav? I know you really want more players, but I think your recruitment method is a bit blunt....

Awesome Dkieft, thanks for the heads up about The Portland Game store, its not too far away and Tuesday nights are usually free. I'll go check that out in a week or two.

GG is a little bit of a commitment, but on a Friday night I could see myself going down there. The game isnt all that big so its really feasible to play on your kitchen table. Enough players own terrain or could use books or other random things to "count as". I prefer NOT playing at game stores honestly unless its a tournament or something. With that I can understand a lighter presence at the stores looking for pickup games.

As for Weav... LOL. GOOD ONE. I know the Ordo community well enough to take that with a grain of salt.  :cool:   And perhaps I'll check it out. Im pretty mad at GW though... 

• Like 2

Im very surprised at the lack of interest in this game in the Ordo Community. Wow.

I know Im late to the game but the new plastic models are fantastic, plenty of flavor, support from Wyrd, and a smaller more manageable table top game set. This game seems to be on the rise just not here with the Ordo crowd. 

Whats not to like? Am I missing something, What happened? 

Im very surprised at the lack of interest in this game in the Ordo Community. Wow.

I know Im late to the game but the new plastic models are fantastic, plenty of flavor, support from Wyrd, and a smaller more manageable table top game set. This game seems to be on the rise just not here with the Ordo crowd. 

I know a number of local Malifaux players have been turned off by the rise in mainly competitive play at a few area stores. That, combined with a growing Infinity community that has absorbed quite a few former Mal. players, has probably resulted in the dearth of interest that you mentioned. 

Myself, I played the game for a couple years, but with the change in editions, along with Wyrd's switch to new plastic minis (I prefer the older metal models), I really haven't had any interest lately. Bloodbowl and board games are pretty much my meat and potatoes for gaming these days.  :happy:

• Like 3

Well, for me the reasons are very petty.

Friday is the GG day for Malifaux. Friday is also the GG day for Pathfinder, 40k kill team, Ring of Gyges' Lord of the Rings, as well as just being friday night. If WOW or GG started doing Malifaux on another night, I'd certainly consider attending more often. 

The other petty issue is that I selected Leveticus for my leader. He's great and I love running his crews, but I'm paralyzed by my options. He's basically his own faction in terms of crew selection. 

@mirrur, excellent news, Im glad it has support up there. I find myself up in Seattle from time to time, been to some pretty great WHFB tournaments up there before that game died. Id come to an event up there with some prior planning. Where do you guys post information about events and tournaments? 

• 1 month later...

I really like this game. I need practice though! 

Anyone who is available in or around Vancouver and Portland please let me know. I have the Dreamer and crew fully painted and ready to roll. I also have unpainted Guild and Gremlin for loan if you are a new player or as another option. I can host or we could meet at a game store in the area. I signed up for Breaching the Faux in Bellevue in April and would really like to play through the scenarios prior and fine tune my strategies to quicken my pace of play. 

• Like 1

Had a good crowd playing at Guardian Games on Friday night, got a great game in against 10 Thunders. Looking to go to The Portland Game store on Tuesday for another.

Learned a lot in the match. I have never played against Shenlong before (havent played against most masters). I assumed he was a Melee powerhouse so I certainly tried to keep my distance. He was able to use Hans (outcast Merc) and Yin to completely nullify Teddy around one of the stashes leaving my weaker minions to have to deal with Shenlong and Sensi Yu.  Very well played.

I learned the value of initiative and cheating defenses to prevent early turn triggers that can take your enforcers out of the game. You cant cheat your fate later if you cant activate the way you want to, so you have to burn those good cards early on to nullify two very key activations from Hans and Yin. With DF being low on teddy it was sometimes not even cheatable, again, well played on my opponents part. Luckily my summoned dudes countered my loss of teddy and still kept me somewhat in the game. 

I am really enjoying the strategy and decisions this game forces you to make. I havent had this much fun with a game in years. The Dreamer is certainly a glass "summoning" cannon and I find myself completely overwhelmed when activating him. With a breadth of options on most Master and 3 AP to spend it can be a quagmire to decide which way to go about your plan. I just need more time with the game, a better understanding of what other models are trying to do. With so much variation, I'll be at it for a while. 

I have never painted more in my life either... 25 models in like a month.... Crazy. Check this game out if you havent or if you are looking for a change of pace on the tabletop, you wont be disappointed. :cool: 

• Like 3