OFCC 2017 - What to expect

Well just keep doing what you are doing. Clubs will be highlighted and showcased.

Think of this year as a recruiting year for any singles players that show up.

This actually rocks cuz our club keeps growing but not in multiples of four! I've had some major stress as a captain cuz I keep taking on the newbies and less for sure and having to scramble to fill sometimes... I'm looking forward to just signing up and showing up to play with no team

• Like 6

Yes, WHFB OFCC originally had teams of any size (though I think there was a minimum).  All members of a club (or group from a store) were on a team.  The 40K OFCC has had 4-man teams since the second year (not sure on the first, I remember there were 20 people, but not sure if they were split into 4-man teams), splitting clubs up to work with the unique matching system.

• Like 2

I had considered variable team sizes and was worried about measuring team performance. A small team would have a much better chance to perform well in certain categories than larger teams. I felt that larger team would naturally get penalized due to their size and how averages would work. Also, over the years it seems like teams within the same larger club had their own personality and that would be lost in a larger group.

• Like 1

As your campaign Czar's for 2017, Jeff and I are pleased to report that we have a stellar lineup for you this year.  I'll be posting more details in the coming days, but you can expect:

What happened to Flames of War?

Left off by mistake, or did I miss something in the event submission?

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2017 at 6:31 PM, Andrewgeddon said:

It was teams of 5 for Fantasy the last 3 years (that WHFB was a thing). I've only gone the last 4 years though, so it might have been different before then.

When we started the OFCC (used to be NWCC) back in '03 or whatever, it was 4 teams of 6.  The next year, we (foolishly, trustingly) let people bring however many because we were doing the matching system using an app that could manage arbitrary team sizes.  However the Evil Canadians rigged the system by putting their best players on one team, and hanging their newer players out to dry on a second team.  So in response, we (orkdork and I) changed the team to size 4, so that we (orkdork, bunto [our other brother], and myself) could make a team and beat the Evil Canadians.  We would have made it size 3 but that would have been too obvious, so we made it size 4 and rolled in Raindog to round out our team.  We crushed the Evil Canadians soundly, sending them crying back North to lick their wounds and complain about hidden ranking forums, matching systems they couldn't understand (because of the AI-based approach we used), and defeats they couldn't tolerate.  After seeing that a team size of 4 clearly led to the Best Results, we carried that forward until - and this is where my memory is a little hazy - I got a kid, or got divorced, or drunk, or all three, and quit playing Warhammer, and the Evil Canadians slowly emerged from under their Weeping Stones and started infiltrating the planning process.  They began of course by placing a mind control device in Raindog, and forcing him to rig the system so they could again win the tournament...

Anyway that's the history, and everything after the second sentence is complete b.s..

With Love,

Nathan

• Like 6