OFCC 40K FAQ Discussion Thread

evil_bryan

Not sure where is appropriate to put this, so I put it here a well. Sorry if that's wrong. I want to make sure it is read.

Alright everyone, I've been wanting to say something on this topic for a long while. I've been reading your posts, and the organizers' replies, and I have wanted to find out how to say this. This is serious time, which those of you that know me, is not a common thing.

My name is Sean Whelan, and I've been participating in OFCC for about 11 years, and have only missed one in that time. I joined a team my first year, and have captained Team Diversity for the other nine. I currently live in Ohio, attending to my doctorate, and despite that I have attended OFCC each year. I and my two teammates Kaoshin and Kyojin (Alex and Jeff) fly over 2000 miles each year, and spend a large sum of money, to attend this event. I am not going to list amounts, as it does not matter, and I am not saying this to imply that anyone should cater to our desires due to us coming so far each year. What I am saying is that what I've just told you SHOULD surprise you. Why on earth would three adults with bills, jobs, etc fly that far, to go to an event in Oregon, when we live a short drive from Adepticon? With that in mind, I am going to tell some stories about OFCC.

- My first year, I was given a spot on a team randomly at the last moment, lent about half an Ork army (Thanks Gravedigger!) and had the experience of my life. Even G-Money screaming out "I hate Fifth Edition!" and everyone laughing after his Raptors got gunned down by some of the new AP 3 boltguns that the THousand Sons carried (Remember when that was a big deal?).

- Other than the three core members of our team, there is usually a rotating fourth member, and everyone that has joined our team even for one year,has felt like family (Mausdeadalive, skkipper, Brother G), and does to this day.

- One year, there was this crazy mission where the models you killed got sent over to the game next to you as models for the guy fighting your teammate. I had a rough Ork list that year, and Jeff looked at me after a particularly brutal turn with a wounded puppy look and said "why are there so many blood angels over here?" I felt bad.... until three squads of his opponent's terminators walked on and gunned down three units.

- One year, we knew who our opposing team was ahead of time in the third round, and they were fellas we'd played before. We exchanged quality scotch before the games as teams, and toasted each other, and played with a nice buzz (except one fella who was so drunk I almost convinced him to sell me his army for a hundred bucks ;) )

- Two years running, we were competing for LAST PLACE overall with the Emperor's Massive Unit, the title changed hands twice!

- Last year was about the most ideal that an OFCC could ever be, and let me explain why. I played against folks I hadn't seen in years. I got to play against teams we'd played before, and see old friends. In one round, my opponent offered to buy me a beer, and when we got back Jeff and his opponent looked at us and said "What... you didn't get us any?" We shrugged. Five minuets later, we were deep in our games... and our beers had disappeared! We found them, in our teammate's guts. Threats, weeping and gnashing of teeth followed... then we bought more beer. And lastly, we played some friends of ours in the last round, and decided as a team to give them all four wins, and just throw out the mission, the format, and play a giant apocalypse game. It as amazing... it was hilarious, and it was silly. It was everything OFCC was supposed to be.

Why have I told you these stories? I suppose at this point I'd be considered a veteran of the event, and I've seen it under many different HOGs, many different types of missions.. (that mission that made you kill your own stuff or lose.. what? XD), and I loved it all. But something that has remained a constant source of excellence has been the team nature of the event. I am actually bringing one of our local guys with us this year. Yes, someone who has NEVER BEEN is flying TWO THOUSAND miles to play 40k for a weekend with bunch of people he's never met, all because of what he's heard of this event. The team nature, the fun, the smiles, the beer and good times. The elimination of the team portion has crushed him in a way. I saw him deflate. I know it's not 'eliminated' per se, but it has been DE-emphasized significantly. I know why, and I am not saying it's right or wrong. Bryan is amazing and he loves this club and this event. I don't know the new HOGs personally, but I don't think they hate OFCC either. I trust these guys. But, this is the first time ever I've thought 'If I had not already bought my plane tickets, I might not go this year." when I heard about the partial elimination of one of the defining factors of OFCC. Does the captain system work flawlessly? No. Does the team system work Flawlessly? No. But is it important? I feel that it is.

In the end everyone, remember that the guys that run this event get crapped on constantly by back seat administrators complaining about what they do wrong, but never offer how to do it better. While I disagree with how things are changing, I'm not surprised.

Take my thoughts for what you will, and I'll be coming regardless, with a first-timer from Ohio. All I ask is that we don't lose the magic of OFCC by turning it into just another 40k tourney. Just not having a Best General, emphasizing sportsmanship, lauding painting... those are not the things that make OFCC magical. The people are. Friendships are. Beer and shenanigans are. Playing apocalypse instead of the mission is. That is what makes OFCC magical. Just keep it magical guys, that's all I ask.

Thank you for your time.

• Like 8

Well said Xavier. I'm in a similar position. This will be the first time in (I think) 7 years that the Devlan Studs of the Bellingham Warhamsters won't be a presence at the 40K ofcc.

The combination of the inclusion of a 30K campaign and the de-emphasizing of the team structure has lead to our dissolution.

As for me, I'll be at the OFCC, but I have no idea what I'll be playing. The team structure has always motivated me to get my army painted and knock the rust off when it comes to playing. But without the "I don't want to let the boys down" motivation, I have no incentive to work on 40K. The game simply isn't good enough to interest me in participating without the camaraderie, grudge matches, and [big bad swear word] talking that lights my fire year after year.

The good news is y'all won't have to worry about your super badass mortar trophy residing in Washington another year :P

• Like 2