OFCC 40K FAQ Discussion Thread

evil_bryan

Couple questions:

What will the cut off of an edition change be?  I noticed a lot of people concerned about their current list plans being dashed with smaller points - an edition change is far far more potentially affecting.

Any set idea on how long the rounds will be?  Assuming 7ed, 2k seems like best served by 3 hour rounds.  

Any specific list restrictions?  I know this always causes problems and knashing of teeth but I think a lot of issues get solved by being absolutely transparent about what isn't allowed and not open to interpretation.  I am asking less because I think people want to WAAC (because it doesn't appear to matter at all how much you win) and more because many people play the same lists whether its a tournament or whatever because it is just what they own or enjoy.  I personally have a hard time spending any time on an army I can't also take to tournaments, I just don't hobby to the same amount as others so perfer mult-purpose lists (or I borrow them which may just be the case).

Are people playing in the event still tied to a club or sponsor?  Had not seen whether this was addressed, but before new teams had to be vouched for and/or invited and teammembers were vouched for by their captains and clubs.  Not opposed to this being less exclusive than the past, more curious since I didn't see this covered.

Couple suggestions:

Handicaps.  If someone wants to bring a 'harder' list would allowance on condition of a handicap be an option?  Whether its lower points, extra bonus rules for opponents or modified win conditions? I mean if record means nothing then this seems like a good way to be a bit more flexible with what people are looking to bring while still adhering to the spirit of the event.  Example is last year we had a theme of two armies clashing, each with their iconic LOW.  So I wasn't playing a stormsurge to win, was more theme.  Had I been required to handicap I would have gladly done so (and I did to some degree in list building FYI), so just a thought.

Reasons to track records other than matchups.  Not sure here but something fun and in the spirit of the event without it being personal or club focused. Dunno if this would be some sort of campain-ish element or faction awards or something.  Dunno, I know this is a sticking point for some but to me it almost feels like playing texas holdem without money on the line.  Just like holdem I don't play 40k events to win, but it still detracts from the experience in some preverse way if there's nothing on the line.  Just a thought, won't change my view or attendance of OFCC either way.

• Like 2

There are very few single models or even formations that are so powerful that you can't tone them down by proper choice of upgrades/options or what you use in the rest of the army. The hard part is figuring out what everyone else thinks is "appropriate" power level and trying to match that, since everyone has a different idea of where the game should be and what constitutes a "tournament list."

• Like 2

There are very few single models or even formations that are so powerful that you can't tone them down by proper choice of upgrades/options or what you use in the rest of the army. The hard part is figuring out what everyone else thinks is "appropriate" power level and trying to match that, since everyone has a different idea of where the game should be and what constitutes a "tournament list."

Sure, and I think this is our annual discussion/problem. That being said, I think it is pretty easy to make a weak or less than efficient list and bring that. Just think of the stuff that a lot of people complain about and skip it. Although, I'm fairly sure someone will complain about my DW list, I'm confident it fits the bill.

• Like 1

Sure, and I think this is our annual discussion/problem. That being said, I think it is pretty easy to make a weak or less than efficient list and bring that. Just think of the stuff that a lot of people complain about and skip it. Although, I'm fairly sure someone will complain about my DW list, I'm confident it fits the bill.

Yeah. Jeesh. Deathwatch. So over powered. I mean, you have an ARMY of Sternguard and a Land Raider. How can you even show your face at OFCC with that list!?

>Looks over at Deathwatch army for OFCC<

What!?!? Don't judge me!

• Like 1

I doubt the edition will be out by then but i would assume we are playing the current edition no matter what.

As for lists, you're going to want to ply something less powerful than a common tournament list.

5ed, 6ed and 7ed all came out late June early July.  I even attended the first 5ed OFCC and it was 4 weeks after it released. AoS was a June release IIRC.  Although not confirmed its a pretty safe bet new edition is coming this year.  I guess you can deal with it if and when it happens but it doesn't hurt to at least talk it through or make people aware of the potential.

As for lists, you're going to want to ply something less powerful than a common tournament list. 

What does that even mean nowadays?  There's some obvious deathstar filth and the like, but outside of that it gets murkier and debatable.    

And do we even care since round 1 the 'tournament' lists will presumably play each other and winning is only affecting matchups?  I guess that is kind of what I am getting at.  It seems like there's a pretty good plan to allow people to bring what they want - but then there's this nebulous 'some stuff will not be allowed' thing that everyone assumes is obvious but isn't.

5ed, 6ed and 7ed all came out late June early July.  I even attended the first 5ed OFCC and it was 4 weeks after it released. AoS was a June release IIRC.  Although not confirmed its a pretty safe bet new edition is coming this year.  I guess you can deal with it if and when it happens but it doesn't hurt to at least talk it through or make people aware of the potential.

What does that even mean nowadays?  There's some obvious deathstar filth and the like, but outside of that it gets murkier and debatable.    

And do we even care since round 1 the 'tournament' lists will presumably play each other and winning is only affecting matchups?  I guess that is kind of what I am getting at.  It seems like there's a pretty good plan to allow people to bring what they want - but then there's this nebulous 'some stuff will not be allowed' thing that everyone assumes is obvious but isn't.

7th was May and 6th was June. Even if it came out today, I doubt we would change the event at this point since OFCC has always been about a big lead time.

As with every year, list decisions have always been murky. Stay away from anything people complain about is the way I look at it. ;)

• Like 1

I keep hearing this, and it really frustrates me.  Why do people continually assume if you are playing a tournament (or "hard") list, it will result in a bad game?  And why is it also assumed if you play a "soft" list, it will result in a good game?

I don't care what kind of list you are playing, I want to play games that will be competitive, because those will be fun.  If my army is way overpowered or underpowered compared to yours, it will not be a fun game.  It has no bearing on whether it is a "hard" or "soft" list.

And even more than lists, it really comes down to you and your opponent.  One of my favorite games in the last three years (and one I talk about a lot), I got tabled in 30 min - basically, we had not business playing each other.  However, my opponent was awesome, we laughed at how easily land raiders die, and I had a great game - even though my opponent had a "hard" list and I had a "soft".

Please stop trying to base fun games around what list you are playing or what army you are playing, and start basing fun games around being the kind of opponent anybody would love to play, no matter the army or list.

• Like 3

I keep hearing this, and it really frustrates me.  Why do people continually assume if you are playing a tournament (or "hard") list, it will result in a bad game?  And why is it also assumed if you play a "soft" list, it will result in a good game?

I don't care what kind of list you are playing, I want to play games that will be competitive, because those will be fun.  If my army is way overpowered or underpowered compared to yours, it will not be a fun game.  It has no bearing on whether it is a "hard" or "soft" list.

And even more than lists, it really comes down to you and your opponent.  One of my favorite games in the last three years (and one I talk about a lot), I got tabled in 30 min - basically, we had not business playing each other.  However, my opponent was awesome, we laughed at how easily land raiders die, and I had a great game - even though my opponent had a "hard" list and I had a "soft".

Please stop trying to base fun games around what list you are playing or what army you are playing, and start basing fun games around being the kind of opponent anybody would love to play, no matter the army or list.

Here's the thing though. If you are looking for competitive games, OFCC's Team Event is really not the event for you. There are countless other events that focus on competitive games of 40k. Those are the events where you go to play competitive games of 40k (repetition intentional). OFCC's Team Event is about Beer and Pretzels type 40k where you get together to roll dice and just have fun. If you bring a Barkstar and your opponent brought a single CAD battleforce army, no amount of joviality/free drinks/handies is going to make their complete inability to do anything to you fun. The Spirit of OFCC is something a lot different.

And yes, some people can make an experience fun no matter what by distracting you from how unfun the actual game is. They are great people to play with. The thing is that they are making it fun DESPITE the fact you got tabled in 30 minutes. Think how much more fun it would have been if that same great guy to play a game with had had a similarly powered list and you had a close, tough game that lasted a reasonable amount of time?

Personally, I don't really give a crap if you bring a hard list and decide to curb stomp me to feel like you're having a good time, because I'll just go drink for the other 2 hours. I don't think that's what OFCC is about though (well, the drinking part is...).

• Like 5

I had to back away for a bit, and take a few deep breaths, because at the end of the day, this is all just a game.

First, please don't bring up the Spirit of the OFCC.  I was at the first OFCC at the armory that Raindog mentions.  It was this experience that led me to create and run the first OFCC 40k.  And attend just about every OFCC 40k since (missing only due to illness).  I understand the Spirit of the OFCC, what made (and makes) it great, and what makes people want to come back.

Second, and I can't stress this enough, I'm not recommending bringing some ultra-soft Smurf list to fight a Barkstar (I am assuming that is a Thunderwolf Deathstar list?).  I'm saying bring what you enjoy playing, and you can find opponents to give you good, fun, COMPETITIVE games at OFCC.  Because whether it's beer & pretzels or not, this is a game that is still about victor and victim.

Please don't mistake competitive for WAAC (it seems this is a common misconception) - I can be competitive running a single CAD, no allies or detachments, fluff-puppy of a list.  I still want to win, and will employ strategy and tactics to try and ensure that.  That is what makes me competitive, and what brings me back to OFCC.

And while this may be a beer & pretzels weekend for a lot of people, wheat causes migraines (so no pretzels) and I don't drink (so no beer) - so what would I get out of it? (That is meant to be tongue in cheek!)

• Like 4

This too is tongue in cheek.i get it, I really do. I love competitive play and lists. I just don't think you'll find that the majority of players in the team event want to play truly competitive lists.and maybe it's a terminology thing. I'm talking about the kind of lists you see at the top tables at a competitive event like LVO. Those are going to wipe the floor with most not optimized lists without blinking.

Also, bark star is not really about thunderwolves.

• Like 2