fluger Descends into WarmaHordes

fluger

Well, I've been much more casual with gaming for a while now, and trying to keep up with the 40k competitive scene was just too much for the limited gaming time I have.  

I had bought a smidge of Khador back at the outset of Mk2, and a buddy of mine gave me some more and so I started playing.  

Been enjoying the game a lot and so I've been doing more WarmaHordes events at WarPorch and decided I needed some more terrain for it.  All my terrain is geared towards 40k and lots of it doesn't work at all. 

Oh well!  Time to start crackin'!

Ages ago, WestRider gave me a Citadel Battle Mat which is basically a 6x4 mat of static grass.  Actually works well for WarmaHordes and never did for 40k.  I figured I'd build up some terrain that would fit such a pastoral setting.

I figured I wanted a farm house, a water feature, some walls, and some small copses.  

First step:  The farm

kHWMdId.jpg

Got this at Hobby Lobby for $4.  Definitely not table top worthy, but a good base.  I also bought some woodland scenics trees with the 40% off daily coupon.  Did the $14 bag which is kinda janky, but should be fine.

I watched some tutorials on how to make stone walls and started emulating the process.

Yr73Oea.jpg

That was my first attempt and it went...ok...

FJexED9.jpg

I quickly found out that by making such hard molds, taking it apart ended up breaking the walls.  So I went with a suggestion from one of the videos and pinned the forms to a foam board for my second go around.

Z5sNe6r.jpg

As well, started working on sprucing up the farm house.  I stole an idea of using card cut into strips and cut up to simulate shingles. 

Zmp3p2S.jpg

uDlsbU4.jpg

After getting the roof done I scored the wood to make it look rougher as well as added a few bits to the door to make it look more interesting.

MPFCbqP.jpg

rQUlik0.jpg

XDAFKbl.jpg

OK, back to the walls.

Here they are after curing and then adding a few extra bits to fill them out and make them look better.

1kWTwDc.jpg

vQgO7kF.jpg

E68wmBk.jpg

I was looking for some plastic sheets and ended up heading to KelTech Plastics in Tacoma.  They gave me some scraps, which was great because that was all I needed.  Great people.

tTX4yh1.jpg

Cut some pieces to size.

G3v9oaB.jpg

I also made some tiny bases (2x2) as rubble to put between the walls in order to fulfill SteamRoller terrain requirements.  

jOYchSm.jpg

I had some Woodland Scenics Realistic Water left over and I plan on using it on this base.

Used some DAS clay to give the trees more substantial bases as they are just going to be sitting on the base in order to move them for gameplay.  

m3EIyPR.jpg

9GWa1Ph.jpg

Now switched back to the walls.

Primed them.  

vJlQpqb.jpg

Overbrushed with gray and then picked out a few rocks to make them tan.

qY21oNo.jpg

Added Moss

zxo3OGl.jpg

So that's where I am now.  I primed the house as well, so either that or the copses are next.

• Like 10

Finished up the trees (maybe) and got work done on the pond.  Just need to wait for it to dry and then add water effects and let it sit for 24-48 hours.

1Fm6nhc.jpg

QMNgPCJ.jpg

kOTK5Do.jpg

kSkn9Vw.jpg

eMnIJud.jpg

8j7Ipz1.jpg

kXLhRv7.jpg

XT7YsPQ.jpg

ivYhfJg.jpg

IQhYJny.jpg

As for some other stuff to do to the trees.  The value pack of trees from Woodland Scenics is, well, a value, but it also is fairly mono-chrome and I'm trying to figure out a safe way to add highlights to the foliage without breaking the trees or making them look weird.  As well, the bases of the trees are just slightly a different brown than the main bases.  Doesn't really show up unless I point it out, but its bugging me.  Not sure how to fix it at this stage or if its worth it.  

Anyway, almost done with my Khador in Summer Board.  

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...