9th Age Tournament at Dice Age Games - April 22nd

Hello all! I will be hosting a 1 day, 3 round 9th Age Tournament on April 22nd at Dice Age Games in Vancouver, WA. 4,500 points, $10 buy in that goes towards prize support. Tournament packet can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7QrGDmlZ09eNEFPWm9vOHVBRXM/view

12 spots total, all spots are currently claimed. However, we there is a waiting list, should we have people unable to make it.

Cheers!

Attending:

1. Zeev
  2. valourunbound
  3. TheBeninator
  4. Diap2012
  5. smashthedean
  6. Axiem
  7. Tim
  8. David M
  9. Pecksata
  10. Scipiano
  11. Sherbert

Waiting List:

* = Tentative

• Like 2

Am I missing something with all of these three hour rounds? Seems to limit participation quite a bit for travelers.

Absolutely not trying to sound flippant, but how so? I don't understand how round length impacts out-of-town participation?

Ideally there would be an hour for lunch, and some more time for registration / awards / clean up, but we're limited by the store's hours. If enough people think they could finish their game in 2 hour 45 minute rounds, we could look at shortening them to allow for more lunch time.

Absolutely not trying to sound flippant, but how so? I don't understand how round length impacts out-of-town participation?

Ideally there would be an hour for lunch, and some more time for registration / awards / clean up, but we're limited by the store's hours. If enough people think they could finish their game in 2 hour 45 minute rounds, we could look at shortening them to allow for more lunch time.

That all makes sense, but it's almost a 3 hour drive to Vancouver from Seattle which would turn this 11 hour tournament into a 17ish hour one. I'm curious because the recent Bellingham tournament also had three hour rounds which made the event an overly long IMO as well. Just wondering if I'm missing something as WHFB events have had mostly 2 hour rounds the whole time I've played and I haven't found 9th Age to need more time even at 4500 pts.

Bryan Butler here... I am so down for this :p.

Awesome man, will be good to see you again! :)

That all makes sense, but it's almost a 3 hour drive to Vancouver from Seattle which would turn this 11 hour tournament into a 17ish hour one. I'm curious because the recent Bellingham tournament also had three hour rounds which made the event an overly long IMO as well. Just wondering if I'm missing something as WHFB events have had mostly 2 hour rounds the whole time I've played and I haven't found 9th Age to need more time even at 4500 pts.

My tournament experience for both WHFB and 9th Age has just been at OFCC, where 3 hour rounds were prevalent, so mostly what I am basing things off of. Time could probably be trimmed a little, but 2 hours is not enough time for a round, IMO. 2.5 is doable, 2.75 more likely, but I don't know if that's going to be any more enticing for out of towers, as any extra time would probably just be tacked on to lunch / bookeeping time, rather than an earlier stopping time.

• Like 1

Yeah, I hear you there. I'm not suggesting that you change things, but more trying to wrap my head around something that seems strange to me. I guess it makes sense that these events would have three hour rounds if that's how the OFCC peeps do it.

I don't agree that two hours is not enough time, but that's definitely a community thing. It's definitely more frantic and people need to understand rule interactions well, but still doable. Again, not looking to stir anything up as I was just curious about the reasoning which seems sound to me. Good luck with the event!

I would be down for shaving 15 mins off each round to boost the lunch to an hour. That way we are not restricted to Subway :D

I am in as well of course. I think I can talk my roommate into it, but he does not have an army. Anyone have high elves they can loan him (that is what he played in 8th ed)? Otherwise he will prob just play my dwarves.

If anyone is considering this tournament, but getting a hotel would be a deal breaker, I am offering up my guest bedroom to any takers. I live in SE Portland, about a 20 min drive from the venue. If you are allergic to cats, this is not the house for you.

On 2/28/2017 at 0:38 AM, TheBeninator said:

I would be down for shaving 15 mins off each round to boost the lunch to an hour. That way we are not restricted to Subway :D

I am in as well of course. I think I can talk my roommate into it, but he does not have an army. Anyone have high elves they can loan him (that is what he played in 8th ed)? Otherwise he will prob just play my dwarves.

If anyone is considering this tournament, but getting a hotel would be a deal breaker, I am offering up my guest bedroom to any takers. I live in SE Portland, about a 20 min drive from the venue. If you are allergic to cats, this is not the house for you.

I have plenty (250+models)of high elves (5th,6th ed) if your roommate doesn't mind building a list with my leftovers and unpainted/assembled. I can slap some glue on ones he wants to use if needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pecksata said:

I'm in with my high elves. Would like a few practice games though since I haven't played since 7th. Anyone down for a game this Sunday? (Portland/Vancouver)

Excellent, I'll add you to the list! Sadly I'm unavailable this weekend and possibly the next couple weekends (yay birthdays / baby showers), but there is a group of us that usually meets at Dice Age in Vancouver, Saturday mornings, including Beninator and valourunboud. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Excellent, I'll add you to the list! Sadly I'm unavailable this weekend and possibly the next couple weekends (yay birthdays / baby showers), but there is a group of us that usually meets at Dice Age in Vancouver, Saturday mornings, including Beninator and valourunboud. 

Busy next 2 saturdays as well but think I should be able to head up to Vancouver (I live in Gresham) on the 25th

• 2 weeks later...