Tempting Kickstarters

dkieft

very true about the toxicity of resin... including the fumes.  Although you will get some smells from your filament printer as well.  There are ways to properly dispose of resin - Exposing it and then tossing the cured resin is safe (supposedly). Also, always handle with gloves or tongs until you've cured it.

Aside - (or back to the OP) filament printers can do pretty fantastic detail when dialed in - I have seen some pretty good prints on a filament printer. But I am not sure about a kickstarter for this kinda thing - there are lots of great options for FDM printers out there - with new and great ones coming everyday... without the false FOMO via a kickstarter campaign from an already existing company with capital.

• Like 1

Appreciate everyone's input, truly.

With respects to all the questions, I think I can summarize:  I'm retiring in one year.  I will have time to deep dive into stuff and tinker.  That being said, my kid (23, mind you) likes getting into things like this.  No idea what he has, what the possibilities are, etc.

I told him if the forum folks told me "that's amazing" then I'd move forward ha ha.  But seeing as how it's iffy at best PLUS my lack of general knowledge, it's one more thing that can wait until I can do the deep dive research and THEN commit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, dalmer said:

I told him if the forum folks told me "that's amazing" then I'd move forward ha ha.  But seeing as how it's iffy at best PLUS my lack of general knowledge, it's one more thing that can wait until I can do the deep dive research and THEN commit.

This is a pretty good opinion here. 3d printing is FAR from plug and play. I got LOTS of help from people getting my Ender 3 Neo v2 dialed in, now it prints amazing with 2 upgrades. That said, I wouldn't wager on a kickstarter 3d printer. Let others find the pain points. It's like buying a year 1 new car, just don't do it 😁

One additional piece about Filament fumes, PLA fumes aren't toxic. ABS or others can be if you use different filaments. Not as bad as resin, but can have issues too. PLA is your standard filament, in fact I use the PLA+ from eSun. Great stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The main thing with any printer is that's not an appliance or a shop tool.  Despite what anyone says, this tech is still in it's infancy.  With any printer purchase the primary question to one's self needs to be:

Is 3d Printing the hobby, or is the product the hobby?

If one want's to learn all about the machine, the tech, the process, then a fresh new untested printer is suitable.  There won't be a community for mutual support at the start, and who know about manufacturer support for both questions and replacements.  Be prepared to troubleshoot and become that community.  These are not bad things, part of the challenge of learning something this way can be extremely satisfying.

If the goal is to use the machine as a means to create, I would avoid an untested machine and look to the established manufacturers.  Elegoo, Prusa, Creality are the major players that come to mind.  Lots of community support, lots of parts availability, lots of product choice.

When I played paintball I bought an untested but very affordable marker, mainly to save 25%.  While it was adequate, there was no aftermarket support, the manufacturer was lousy on parts replacement, and  disappeared relatively quickly.  When I bought my next marker, I based my choice on the amount of easily available replacement parts and support articles in the magazines.  

Have him ask himself what his interest in 3d Printing really is and make the choice from that perspective, rather than the "Is this a good printer" question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2