World of Tanks - any players?

jesselowe

Bro G, have a mic on xbox? We can platoon up sometime and I'll walk you through it. Picking tanks is only part of it, but playstyle, tank lines, angling, camo, etc.

There's some good youtube videos for starters on WoT too.

As for my style: I love heavy tanks. The autoloaders have changed the meta some, but still like my heavies. These are the ones I keep in my garage as must keeps in my opinion.

US: T29

German: Tiger II and E75

Russian: KV-1, KV-1S, IS-3

I own others, but these suckers are very solid tanks for their tier. I am currently working towards the T110E5 T10 US Heavy myself.

You have to analyze your style (Glass cannon/autoloaders, Heavy brawler, Tank destroyer/sniper, artillery, scout, etc). I do own some artillery too, but it's just for fun in the off occasions.

Bro G, have a mic on xbox? We can platoon up sometime and I'll walk you through it. Picking tanks is only part of it, but playstyle, tank lines, angling, camo, etc.

There's some good youtube videos for starters on WoT too.

As for my style: I love heavy tanks. The autoloaders have changed the meta some, but still like my heavies. These are the ones I keep in my garage as must keeps in my opinion.

US: T29

German: Tiger II and E75

Russian: KV-1, KV-1S, IS-3

I own others, but these suckers are very solid tanks for their tier. I am currently working towards the T110E5 T10 US Heavy myself.

You have to analyze your style (Glass cannon/autoloaders, Heavy brawler, Tank destroyer/sniper, artillery, scout, etc). I do own some artillery too, but it's just for fun in the off occasions.

Are you playing the game on Xbox?..I thought it was PC only,heh.

Anyhow do any of you guys have a unit going or are in a unit now?..or interested in starting a unit?...its been years since I ran with OTG but I wouldn't mind at all getting some grouping action going if possible.I have TS3 and Mumble loaded but only hop on voice every month or so to check in with some gamer friends back east.Im also open to trying any other voice apps if needed.Feel free to PM me ingame ,toons name is rcnjack63

Also Bro G,if you want a good grinder to get credits with and don't want to spend any money,work up the line to get the Pz1c..its the most OP`d piece of gack in the game at T3,very forgiving and can take some hits and most of all its fast as heck!

Artillery is for the masochistic.  Once upon a time good artillery was a thing to be feared but after one too many matches against good artillery (and stupidly sitting in the open baiting it) artillery has been beaten to death with the nerf bat.  At this point, artillery beyond about tier IV is about watching the match while wasting a slot on the team.

Figuring out what your playstyle is will help you a whole lot but it can be hard to do before about tier VII.  Once you hit VII or VIII you actually see everything that tanks can do and can make informed choices.

Artillery is for the masochistic.  Once upon a time good artillery was a thing to be feared but after one too many matches against good artillery (and stupidly sitting in the open baiting it) artillery has been beaten to death with the nerf bat.  At this point, artillery beyond about tier IV is about watching the match while wasting a slot on the team.

That's too bad, artillery was an amazing experience in sound for me.  WoT did an amazing job with the sounds of a hit, miss and explosion.

jesus christ, how the hell do you figure anything out in this game??? the online stuff on the site is horrid. I have no idea how to get new tanks, or do anything with my crew...I'm stuck with crap tanks and there is no real explanation of gameplay. Hey look...a tank appeared out of thin air in the middle of a field???? who designed this pos?

Burk, WOT has a learning curve. BroG you're learning about the spotting mechanic.

If a tank on your team 'detects' another tank, their radio range has to be within your range to suddenly see it. Also camouflage plays a factor making it harder to detect some tanks that are behind bushes, using camo nets, and so on. Basically detecting is a comparison of your detect range and their camo rating. The spotting mechanic is how visibility works in this game. As I said, it's not call of duty where they're always there. Typically it's not that bad, but when you go around a corner don't be surprised when they suddenly get detected. Use buildings and such to pop out. A good example would be say I'm 190 yards from you, and your detect range is 200. You should see me...however if I have camo on which improves my 'hiding', against me only I've reduced your detect range for me personally to around 175 or so. This means you can't see me unless you got closer. Not many tanks go for heavy camo. TD's and Lights are usually the ones that go that route. Although end game, TD's are where I hear a lot of the meta has gone.

Also, to earn tanks you get Experience. There's 2 types of experience. TANK experience where you complete a match and get XX points to spend on that tank ONLY. And Free experience which is usually under 10% of the previous TANK experience. Free experience is nice as you can use it on other tanks. I tend to let it accumulate and try to use tank experience as much as possible except maybe to unlock a needed gun or something. That said, credits are needed too. The last part is, you can't unlock the next tank until you've unlocked the portion of the tank tree required to move forward. For example the M4 has a DERP gun in the tree, you don't have to learn it to move on, but the other paths you do. Those unlocks take experience.

Esperatus, On my KV line I went Derp all the way, KV-1 and KV-2 Derps are just fun (especially with a shell rammer). KV-1S I went with that silly over powered penetration gun. Russian gun accuracy is horrid so I don't try to snipe with them much, but brawling can be dangerous (like the KV-1S's armor is paper thin).

My favorite tanks are as follows (I like heavies and like turrets):

T5: KV-1 and PZ-IV (both with derps)

T6: KV-1S and Hummel arty

T7: T29 and GWPanther arty

T8: IS-3 and Tiger II

T9: E75

T10: Haven't decided yet, working towards T57 Heavy, but maybe the T110E5.

• Like 2

Burk, WOT has a learning curve. BroG you're learning about the spotting mechanic.

If a tank on your team 'detects' another tank, their radio range has to be within your range to suddenly see it. Also camouflage plays a factor making it harder to detect some tanks that are behind bushes, using camo nets, and so on. Basically detecting is a comparison of your detect range and their camo rating. The spotting mechanic is how visibility works in this game. As I said, it's not call of duty where they're always there. Typically it's not that bad, but when you go around a corner don't be surprised when they suddenly get detected. Use buildings and such to pop out. A good example would be say I'm 190 yards from you, and your detect range is 200. You should see me...however if I have camo on which improves my 'hiding', against me only I've reduced your detect range for me personally to around 175 or so. This means you can't see me unless you got closer. Not many tanks go for heavy camo. TD's and Lights are usually the ones that go that route. Although end game, TD's are where I hear a lot of the meta has gone.

Also, to earn tanks you get Experience. There's 2 types of experience. TANK experience where you complete a match and get XX points to spend on that tank ONLY. And Free experience which is usually under 10% of the previous TANK experience. Free experience is nice as you can use it on other tanks. I tend to let it accumulate and try to use tank experience as much as possible except maybe to unlock a needed gun or something. That said, credits are needed too. The last part is, you can't unlock the next tank until you've unlocked the portion of the tank tree required to move forward. For example the M4 has a DERP gun in the tree, you don't have to learn it to move on, but the other paths you do. Those unlocks take experience.

Esperatus, On my KV line I went Derp all the way, KV-1 and KV-2 Derps are just fun (especially with a shell rammer). KV-1S I went with that silly over powered penetration gun. Russian gun accuracy is horrid so I don't try to snipe with them much, but brawling can be dangerous (like the KV-1S's armor is paper thin).

My favorite tanks are as follows (I like heavies and like turrets):

T5: KV-1 and PZ-IV (both with derps)

T6: KV-1S and Hummel arty

T7: T29 and GWPanther arty

T8: IS-3 and Tiger II

T9: E75

T10: Haven't decided yet, working towards T57 Heavy, but maybe the T110E5.

I thought the only way to get free XP is to comvert using gold(irl money)..

Yeah I haven't purchased a new tank in a long time,sick of getting more garage slots and my barracks is constantly full anyway lol

They have improved the spotting mechanic since release to make it more realistic,its nice when it works but I still have a huge problem with the "Dissapearing Tank" syndrome..especially when it comes to the heavy tanks ...nothing worse than having a Tiger or KV disappear when im shooting at him at in the 150-200 meter range.

There also seems to be issues with tanks,even TDs being able to maintain stealth while on the move well within the spotting range...and I run camo net and have 2 crew on 100% camo training yet I still get jumped but tanks appearing right in the open in front of me then getting first shot.Im a total camper in my 38t spending a lot of time behind bushes in favorite spots and this has happened to me several times by mediums and TD`s even.

I certainly could be seeing some lag but sheese..the system in place when the game came out didn't have this problem,,though it had other issues like pretty much everyone could see each other most of the time,heh.

Fun game but very annoying at times.

?

Some TD's have very HIGH camo naturally. Add a crew with camo, netting, etc and you can almost be no top of some TD's...even Lights (who can move and maintain 100% camo). This is where extending your view range with binocs, crew skills, etc help combat that. Also, just because you can see a hill doesn't mean you're able to see what's there, even if spotted if it's outside actual view range. Just takes understanding of the spotting mechanic....but yes, not all tanks are created equal and some are frustratingly stronger than others!

I'm sorry, it is just dumb. I am sitting there watching a tank, about to take a shot at it, and then it disappears. So I shoot where it was, and maybe I get a hit, maybe not, but soon after I'm always dead. So apparently it didin't matter that I was stopped and behind a bush. Somehow they saw me just fine. magical sight mechanics are just annoying. All the time I get killed lying in wait, there's no red blip on my screen. Killed by another invisible tank. yay.

I agree it was jarring when it first happened to me, the now-you-see it now-you-don't, never mind it was perfect in my sights. I got used to it. I adjusted. I am not going to try to defend the game. Either you like it or you don't but I agree with Dark Tra1ner, who is an excellent player BTW.

What bothered me most was the WTF? moment of getting hit out of no where, but I understand it a little and have had it work in my advantage enough that I just accept it, move on, and pull another tank out of the garage. I REALLY enjoy the game.

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliment, and BroG part of it is also getting into a game that people have played for years too. This means they've got maxed crews, lots of credits to spend on equipment, etc. It doesn't break he game, but it definitely provides an advantage. Until you get some of the beat stick tanks you do end up getting punched a bunch (I remember the B1 and the M3 Lee....oh dear god no, the horrors!!!) :biggrin:

There are a number of factors at play.

Each tank has a unique crew assigned to drive it.  That crew gains experience as you drive the tank.  You, the player, also gain experience which you can devote to unlocking mechanical upgrades for the tank which you can then buy with the in-game currency (which I'll call silver from here on).  Once you have unlocked all the upgrades, whether you have applied them to the tank or not, your tank is "elited".

At this point you have options.  You can use the tank to amass experience which you can then convert to "free experience" (which can be spent on anything, not just the tank you are driving) or you can click a little flag in the research window which says something like "devote all experience to crew training".  You can only do this with elite tanks.

What that does is double (roughly if not exactly) the rate at which the crew gains experience with the tank.  If you take a closer look at the crew for your tank (should be along one side of the tank display when in the garage) by mousing over them or clicking on them you can see that they have a percentage for their main skill (command, drive, gunner, loader, radio).  When this hits 100% they begin to gain experience toward new skills...  You get to pick those skills and they can be things like Camo (bonus to camo rating when sitting still) or Fire Fighting or other things.  Some skills are general (Camo and Fire Fighting) and some are role-specific (Sixth Sense, etc.) so not ever crew member can get every skill.

A fully trained crew has 5 skills for each crew member right now if I recall correctly (at least in the PC version).

Some things that you can do...  When you buy a new tank, you can move your old crew to the new tank...  This is done under retraining.  When you retrain a crewman he loses some skill.  How much depends on how big the move is...  A driver from a light tank loses a little if he's move to drive a new type of light tank and a bit more if he is moved to drive a medium tank.  You can mitigate this loss by half using silver or you can spend real money and mitigate the loss completely by spending gold.  If you don't want to move a crew, you can buy improved crews when you buy your new tank.  There are check-boxes on the tank purchase menus that allow you to spend silver or gold for improved crews.

The cost of retraining a crew is large when dealing with low-level tanks.  Generally you will pay more for retraining than the tank costs (or you are ever going to earn in it) for tanks prior to about tier V.  At those levels I just buy a new (raw) crew and suck it up (because a 50% gunner blows chunks, to be honest).

There are also "premium" tanks which are different from "elite" tanks.  Premium tanks simply get an earnings bonus (in silver) when you play them.  They also have one other advantage which is that you can use them to train crews because a premium tank counts as any tank of its own weight class. (So let's take the Russian KV-5, which is a heavy...  Any crew from a Russian heavy tank can drive the KV-5 without retraining and without penalties.  I can take the crew from my IS-4, put them in my KV-5, get experience for them, earn extra silver and not have to pay the repair-and-reload for my tier-X tank.)

I strongly suggest that you look into the training videos on YouTube.  Although you may decide you still don't like the mechanic it will definitely explain the mechanic to you which will give you a better chance of using it to your advantage, not just suffering from it.

Depends on which elite type you are talking about.  Elite tanks you buy are cheaper to repair and offer higher credits output.  so they are used to get quicker cash then normal tanks.

Elite tanks that you have upgraded to elite (ie all modules bought), any XP on them can be converted to free XP.  this costs gold.

Depends on which elite type you are talking about.  Elite tanks you buy are cheaper to repair and offer higher credits output.  so they are used to get quicker cash then normal tanks.

Elite tanks that you have upgraded to elite (ie all modules bought), any XP on them can be converted to free XP.  this costs gold.

Burk didn't read my whole post...  Note that Premium tanks do have one other very important benefit that you're leaving out, Burk...  Look at the second-to-last paragraph of my post about training crews.

The rammer helps. I believe but do not know, the perk Brother in Arms crew skill helps, Adrenaline Rush:but only when @<=10% health, not so useful in one hit wonders, but can get a lot of work done in the right tank. If Brothers in Arms in fact increases reload, then improved ventilation would as well but not applicable with the Marder, just generally. You might have to adjust your play style to include displacement after a shot. As you get better playing higher tiers so too will your opponents. They will be able to hit you even when you're not spotted because they know the map, where you are likely to find concealment, and of course they can see your shots, if not you.Even when in the best possible position it is wise to have an exit strategy.

Something that people are leaving out (which is why I recommend looking at the videos) is that every time you shoot the cover values for every plant around you vanishes for a short time (i.e. blowback from the shot flattens all the vegetation which they don't actually display but do model) so you can be hidden just fine but as soon as you shoot you get lit up.

The rammer is your best bet for reload time.  Training that loader is another important thing but is not something you can do easily (see above)...  You would either have to fire the existing loader (loaders on some tanks) and hire a new one using silver (gets you 75%) or gold (gets you 100%).  A 100% loader is noticably faster than a 50% loader.  Brothers in Arms will also help your load times I believe and there is a Tank Commander skill which causes everyone to perform their job better but I forget the name of it.  The problem is that those bonuses are only worth 10% of the crew skill which pales in comparison to the rammer in the first place.

The key with the Marder is to snipe from half a map away.  I don't think that you can ever make it fast enough to deal with higher tier tanks unless you can stay hidden.  This relies on your allies to spot for you, but is much more effective if you have even halfway competent allies and a decent radio.

Also remember (again, from the tutorials) you don't want to be in the bush, you want to be behind it (differs from everything you see in war videos and movies)...  The way they model you only want to pull up enough that the bush goes transparent, not far enough that your barrel peeks out.  And if you can do it (relying on spotting) you don't even want to be that far forward.  If you're far enough behind the bush then your shots will not remove the concealment rating of the bush when you shoot and you will not be revealed.