Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Saw the new Jack Ryan movie (Shadow Agent?).  I liked it.  Pacing was very good.  Didn't feel rushed at all, but there was some tension.

I also took in the new Robocop.  Wasn't as good as the old one, but a nice popcorn muncher and entertaining.  I'd say a matinee.

Ride-Along.  Wow, so horribly predictable.  I was hostage to a situation though, and so that's the only reason I watched it.

Lego Movie.  Was cute.  I didn't like the ending, but overall I'd say it was a good kid movie.

Also, I saw Gravity a while back, and forgot to say anything about it.  For the most part, the whole "problem because of physics" issues that people were discussing were entirely minor outside of one, which is the only thing I had an issue with in the entire movie.  Otherwise, it was almost entirely a white knuckle fest.  My fingers hurt at the end of the movie from gripping the seat so dang much.

• Like 1

Thor: The Dark World: very solid meh 6/10 maybe 7 because Natalie slapped Chris twice :D  I'm usually a sucker for these films but this .... had no pop for me, it was good, I'll watch it several times, but ...no pizzazz, no razzle dazzle

Enders game: 6-7/10 WAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaay to rushed, I would have gleefully sat through 20-40 more minutes of battle school and commanders school scenes.

• Like 1

Out of the Furnace- 2/10.

The first half was meandering and pointless, the catalyst was boring, the revenge story was completely linear and obstacle free. The characters were trite and their development was ham-fisted. Everything from the conversations to the "action" were uninteresting. 

One of those films where everyone involved in it, probably looked at the final product and said, "Well, we technically made a movie." Then everyone collected paychecks and went home.

2 Guns - 7/10, Interesting movie, well paced, 2 great actors. Got me confused at one point. Thankfully my date straightened me out and got me on the right page. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1272878/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Escape Plan - 9/10, Good movie! Nothing like two old men beating each other up ;) Yes some of it was predictable, but it was an enjoyable movie. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1211956/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Ice Soldiers - 8/10, Interesting movie, parts where you're asking WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!? One of the funnier parts for me was a box of dynamite going off in the back of the truck and there's anything left of the truck or the two guys inside of it... Wouldn't they have been nearly destroyed? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3104304/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Long Ranger - 9/10, Crazy movie. As usual Johnny Depp steals the show and everyone does an amazing job. I got a kick out of the ending and LR paying homage to the original by yelling "Hi ho Silver!" "Don't ever do that again..." LOL http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1210819/?ref_=nv_sr_3

• Like 1

Stalingrad - 5 out of 10 for most people. 9 out of 10 for me, though. The plot was ok. The action and tension was ok. The sets were amazing, however. Lots of cool equipment and such. It was really awe inspiring seeing overhead views of the city of Stalingrad in ruins.

It did come off as one long Soviet propaganda film.

Stalingrad is my main point of interest in WWII, so this movie was pretty much awesome for me. I saw it in Imax at the Lloyd Center. Went to the 10 o'clock showing and me and my friends were the only people there. I don't now how much longer it will be there with that sort of attendance.

If you like WWII movies, it is a spectacle. But the substance is a bit lacking.

saw 300 : Rise of Empire over the weekend - as with the last movie - lots of fighting - limbs chopped off - show mo style with cool lighting.  If you liked the first 300 - then you should enjoy this one as well.  For me it was a fun movie - by with little or few surprises.  8/10

Pacific Rim: 7/10 better than I thought it would be.

Catching Fire: 8/10? its a well done movie...has me wanting to see the next one..thus a high rating

The Muppets - 8/10 great flick...not the newest one though...had me tearing up at parts...love the muppets

Lone Ranger - 7/10 surprised me. Was a good popcorn flick. Not sure what the bad hype was all about.

Catching fire: 7/10.

Last one was 7/10 for lack of originality. This one had originality, but was lacking in other areas. Entire movie had an unclear overall plot. Yeah, we had a repeat battle royale for the second half of the movie, then we had the ongoing dispute between the female protagonist and the setting, and then we also had the revolution of the districts. If they had stuck with even two of these, it would have made for a complete movie. As is, this one is a middle movie, a movie that can't stand on it's own as a good film. The acting was fine, as was the dialogue, but the overall film lacked completeness. It very much felt like they were trying to build a plot for another movie, rather than a plot for the movie presently being watched. I don't regret watching it, but they could have done a much better job in lots of ways. It probably follows the book, but as a person that hasn't read the books, the film was lacking.

Catching fire: 7/10.

Last one was 7/10 for lack of originality. This one had originality, but was lacking in other areas. Entire movie had an unclear overall plot. Yeah, we had a repeat battle royale for the second half of the movie, then we had the ongoing dispute between the female protagonist and the setting, and then we also had the revolution of the districts. If they had stuck with even two of these, it would have made for a complete movie. As is, this one is a middle movie, a movie that can't stand on it's own as a good film. The acting was fine, as was the dialogue, but the overall film lacked completeness. It very much felt like they were trying to build a plot for another movie, rather than a plot for the movie presently being watched. I don't regret watching it, but they could have done a much better job in lots of ways. It probably follows the book, but as a person that hasn't read the books, the film was lacking.

Maybe because it is book 2 of a trilogy and the third movie is out late this year (or early next)

Maybe because it is book 2 of a trilogy and the third movie is out late this year (or early next)

Certainly, but the rating is based on the movie I watched, not the movie I may watch in the future. Perhaps I will revisit this rating when the sequel is released. 

I liked catching fire, but there were a lot of questions I had that only people who read the books could answer. For instance, the movie made it seem like every 25th hunger games, they pit champions of previous games against each other. Since there are 12 districts, that would mean all champions but 1 are killed every 25 years. But apparently they just do something special every 25 years, but it's different every time. You just have to read the book to know.

I am still curious as to how they managed to get exactly 2 champions from every district without rigging the games. The odds are insurmountable. Also, why were there only 2 champions that looked older than their early to mid 20s. How young were these people when they won? At least a few had to win when they were toddlers at the oldest which is pretty impressive.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't over-analyze a book written for young adults.

I liked catching fire, but there were a lot of questions I had that only people who read the books could answer. For instance, the movie made it seem like every 25th hunger games, they pit champions of previous games against each other. Since there are 12 districts, that would mean all champions but 1 are killed every 25 years. But apparently they just do something special every 25 years, but it's different every time. You just have to read the book to know.

I am still curious as to how they managed to get exactly 2 champions from every district without rigging the games. The odds are insurmountable. Also, why were there only 2 champions that looked older than their early to mid 20s. How young were these people when they won? At least a few had to win when they were toddlers at the oldest which is pretty impressive.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't over-analyze a book written for young adults.

They do a quarter quell every 25 years, but not just champs vs champs.  IIRC, one was 4 tributes from each district, and the other was people voting on the participants instead of random.  The champs playing is implied was a farce to kill of Katniss Everdeen :) as she became a rallying point for the revolution when she defied the capital (ie faking suicide pact with the berries in the first movie/book)

They did not get two from each district.  There are a total of 75 champs to choose from, not all are still alive, but there are still enough to choose from,  ex. district 12 had 3 living champs...2 went.  where districts 1 and 2, had many more, but only 2 went from each.

Right, that's my point. There are answers, they just aren't in the movie. It undermines the movie as a stand-alone piece. I enjoyed it, but I'm glad that I have a younger sister to fill in some fairly large logistical gaps.

actually it is implied.  when haymitch is talking with petra and katniss about the upcoming games.  he says they will be coaches now.....if they knew they were going in, then they would not be coaches.

300: Rise of an Empire - If you liked "300" then I bet you will like this. Fighting and more fighting with a few fights sprinkled in just to mix it up. Themistokles and Artemisia have a notable scene somewhere in the middle of the film reminiscent of an alley-cat fight complete with "Whoa, they're not fighting" moment. For anyone that does not already know, Eva Green's rack surpasses anything previously seen in this realm. 7/10 - Highly recommended for fans of movies full of all the stuff your parents did not want you to see at the movies when you were a kid.

• Like 4