Rate the Last Movie You Saw

4 hours ago, PourSpelur said:

Couldn't disagree more. Love almost every trope they put in there and still hated the actual movie. It's like eating a  steak with chocolate sauce on a helicopter while trying to nap.

All good things but put together horribly. Mostly just boring though.

I tried to watch it but it seemed to be weirdness string together with no real purpose.

V/H/S 2: More just gory than actually scary, but the second segment (shot from a GoPro on a biker who gets zombified) was kind of cool. Also, it did have the best framing narrative of the three.

Inglorious Basterds: While I am 100% behind the message of this film, and it was very well made, I can't say it was an enjoyable watch. I think that what really killed it for me was that too much of it focused on the nazis, rather than those fighting them.

• Like 2

I love weirdness strung together with little purpose.

I love quiet, sweeping vistas.

I love stories where you can only see the edges, actors chewing scenery as oddballs, questions about the difference between surviving and living. Bad Batch had all of that and more. What it didn't have was a compelling story or anything happen. Real shame.

• Like 2

Blade Runner. There were a few minor things I could complain about but I think it would be petty considering the total scope and success of the project. Lots of subtle homages, returning characters, references to other sci fi franchises and the focus on anti climax that made the first movie great. 

I won't give any specific details until we have a spoiler-ready thread but I do recommend it without reservation. I will probably see it again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 10/6/2017 at 3:24 PM, andy said:

Sicario 10/10 -- I watched this to get a feel for Denis Villeneuve's style (he directed the new Blade Runner flick) and was absolutely blown away. Amazing film that covers drug wars covert-ops, the role of government vs. individual responsibility, the nature of evil, revenge... you know.. a fun romp. It's been more than  a week and I'm still thinking about it. Films don't get much better.

If you like his films, Prisoners is worth your time.

• Like 3

My Cousin Vinny: Another re-watch, but it's been at least 20 years since I last saw it. Still holds up amazingly well. I hadn't remembered that Ralph Macchio was in it. What's the Karate Kid doing letting those cops push him around like that? ;)

Also, now that Marisa Tomei is playing Aunt May, it got me thinking about Joe Pesci as Uncle Ben.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay I'm not into horror or gory violence movies but someone I work with was very adamant that "the purge" was something I needed to see she was extremely correct. 

The wife hates horror movies but based on the recommendation we tentatively rented the first one... as soon as it was over we were in the car back to the rental place for the second and third installments. 

This one goes to 11 on my scale. While it was marketed as a gory horror flick it is extremely well done and oozes near future dystopia masquerading as utopia built upon this one brutal night. Just crazy good. 

• Haha 1

On 10/16/2017 at 8:21 PM, VonVilkee said:

Okay I'm not into horror or gory violence movies but someone I work with was very adamant that "the purge" was something I needed to see she was extremely correct. 

The wife hates horror movies but based on the recommendation we tentatively rented the first one... as soon as it was over we were in the car back to the rental place for the second and third installments. 

This one goes to 11 on my scale. While it was marketed as a gory horror flick it is extremely well done and oozes near future dystopia masquerading as utopia built upon this one brutal night. Just crazy good. 

Rick and Morty did it better.

"Why don't we flash back to 3 weeks ago, when you were still alive!"

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Rick and Morty did it better.

"Why don't we flash back to 3 weeks ago, when you were still alive!"

Haven't seen the film (the purge), but Rick and Morty have some really good satires, and I very much enjoyed the Purge satire. I think the Inception satire for Rick and Morty is better than the actual film. 

14 hours ago, WestRider said:

The Babysitter: Pretty good. No real twists to speak of, but it uses the horror archetypes and tropes well, and has some good laughs.

Mostly, tho, I wish that the light comedy that the setup was pretending to be was an actual flick. I think that would have been a really fun flick.

Watched it last week with one of my daughters - fun laughs.  She wants to show it to her sister today

• Like 3

Life (2.75/5)

Near earth orbit sifi/thriller/horror.

Well budgeted and acted with good effects and actors we like.

I think someone saw this in the theatre and reviewed it similarly.  Being the nerd I am and associated with the 40k universe where xenos are regarded properly (kill it with fire!!!!), the mistakes made by the crew to drive the story were distracting.

By the end of the film I was rooting for the creature :)

If deadpool were aboard it would have been better ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Psilence said:

If deadpool were aboard it would have been better ;)

This was pretty much my review of The Amityville Horror ;)

Residue: Trying for Lovecraftian horror, doesn't quite pull it off, but there are some really good bits, and some good performances, and they did avoid the mistake of explaining too much, which messes up a lot of attempts at this sort of thing.

On 10/11/2017 at 8:35 AM, Brick Bungalow said:

Blade Runner. There were a few minor things I could complain about but I think it would be petty considering the total scope and success of the project. Lots of subtle homages, returning characters, references to other sci fi franchises and the focus on anti climax that made the first movie great. 

I won't give any specific details until we have a spoiler-ready thread but I do recommend it without reservation. I will probably see it again. 

Finally saw this...and I could not agree more.  There are some minor quibbles...but damn, this movie knocked it out of the park.

Soundtrack, Scenery, Shots, Acting(except for Gosling, he still just looks constipated in a few scenes)....everything.

Amazing film...gorgeous, beautiful, and it does not feel like it is long at all.  Though I do suggest seeing it somewhere with comfy seats...

Such a good movie!

• Like 3

My Little Pony: The Movie. Pretty good. They did an excellent job of making it not feel like just a longer episode, which is often an issue with movie spinoffs from TV shows. There were some bits with overused tropes that bugged me, but the kids it's aimed at won't have seen them as many times as I have, so it should work fine for them.

• Like 1

Re: Blade Runner 2049

And it's a real detective story too! Deckerd in the first one was focused on hunting down and killing the replicants. This one definitely deviated from that while staying very much true to the original.

I stress seeing this in a theater with a killer sound system or having it cranked way up. I cannot speak for 3d, and the 2d looked fantastic with all the model sets and other practical effects.

• Like 2

Thor: Ragnarok: Let me put it like this: I was making plans with friends to go see it again before I even left the theater. Best "one on many" fights since the Last Alliance flashbacks with Sauron in LotR, and better than Ang Lee's Hulk or The Amazing Spiderman at showing the raw power these people are throwing around. I'm gonna have Immigrant Song stuck in my head for weeks :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2