Rate the Last Movie You Saw

10 hours ago, Brick Bungalow said:

I wonder if anyone else has the experience of reading a bad movie review and agreeing with everything but the conclusion? In other words everything that people didn't like about this movie was everything I did like. 

I see a lot of people talking about Bladerunner 2049, how it was long and slow. I kept thinking the same thing while I watched the movie... and I loved it, 9/10, one of the best movies I've seen in recent memory.

• Like 5

1920: The influences from Western horror films such as The Exorcist are clear, but it's a very good execution of those tropes and aesthetics. Has some moments that match The Exorcist for creepiness. Good acting, absolutely gorgeous sets, costumes, and cinematography, and an ending that I found very satisfying. It is in Hindi*, but I found it worth dealing with the subtitles for.

*Mostly. Every now and then, there will be a word or even a sentence in English, and it's always kind of jarring when it happens.

• Like 1

The Vault: I don't know why this one seems to have been received so poorly. I thought it was a pretty good mashup of heist flick and ghost movie. Maybe they were expecting more from James Franco because he got top billing even tho he really just has a supporting role?

30 Days of Night: OK, I knew going into this that there was no way any live action portrayal could match Ben Templesmith's art in the original, but it didn't have to be that bad. Weak writing, mediocre acting, terrible fight choreography, and bad special effects, but none of it the right kind of bad to be B-movie fun.

8 hours ago, Blustorm said:

Valerian - 6/10 - Good story, great visual FX, excellent pacing. I just wish Besson would have picked ANY other two actors on the planet for the leads. Horrible acting (deadpan much?) and zero chemistry. With better performances, I think it could have rivaled Avatar, IMHO.

tumblr_mwzszinQc61rzik3go1_400.gif

• Haha 2

A few of the last movies I have seen...

Last Jedi - 7/10 ... was alright - but it didn't leave me with Hope for the future of the franchise.  Visually it was really great.

Shape of Water - 10/10 ... I don't give many 10's... but this was damn close to perfect for me.  Great story, good acting and casting.  Fun Sci-Fi fantasy.  

Blade Runner 2049 - 9/10 ... perfect movie for me ... so I am biased.  Excellent extension of the franchise IMO ... I couldn't find really anything to dislike.

Valerian - 7/10 ... much of what others have said... great visuals, good story - poor acting and casting choices.

-d

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Blustorm said:

Valerian - 6/10 - Good story, great visual FX, excellent pacing. I just wish Besson would have picked ANY other two actors on the planet for the leads. Horrible acting (deadpan much?) and zero chemistry. With better performances, I think it could have rivaled Avatar, IMHO.

I don't see rivaling Avatar as that much of an achievement unless you are talking about visuals.  Even then...meh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Yarbicus said:

I don't see rivaling Avatar as that much of an achievement unless you are talking about visuals.  Even then...meh.

Oh, please don't take that as an endorsement of Avatar being the best sci-fi movie ever made. I do think it is the one of the most successful (i.e. profitable) space opera movies developed for main stream audiences in the last 10 years. However, I don't think any of the four sequels Cameron has planned will come anywhere close to matching the success of the first one.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, WestRider said:

Batman & Robin: Not nearly as bad as I'd been led to believe. Only Robin is really terrible. The rest is all just B-movie cheesy. Think of it more as an update of the Adam West stuff rather than a follow-on to the Burton flicks, and you're probably somewhere in the right ballpark.

I will doubt your taste in movies, forevermore. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2