Rate the Last Movie You Saw

The ABCs of Death: A very ambitious horror anthology, with 26 directors each assigned a letter, and then told to make a short film about a word starting with that letter and death. Unfortunately, there are a lot more misses than hits. B, D, H, and Q were the only ones I really liked. Most of the rest were just gross, lots of weird sexual and scatalogical stuff, plus some just plain WTF.

The Scribbler: Speaking of WTF. Just plain bat%@$# insane. It is theoretically about people with various mental illnesses, being set in a halfway house for them to transition back to the "regular" world. The characters bear about as much relationship to actual mentally ill people as might be expected from a horror flick, but if you think of it instead as some sort of possession or something, there's actually a pretty interesting murder mystery in there. It's weird and a lot of it doesn't make all that much sense, but in parts, it manages to hit something Real, something that actually makes it work.

• Like 1

Dallas Buyers Club tells a really interesting story that stands on its own. The two leads lost a dramatic amount of weight for their roles which is impressive but kind a movie cliche at this point. It's good that they did considering the story context. I thought the film did a good job of avoiding simplistic moral judgments even though the main character does not. It will resonate, maybe too closely with anyone who has ever had a dispute with a hospital about a sick relative. It motivated me to do some independent research on the subject matter. Good movie. 

• Like 2

The Creature Below: The description and pic on Hulu made it seem like a Creature Feature sort of flick, which led to me expecting something pretty different from the Lovecraftian* horror flick they were going for. Pretty sure I would have liked it quite a bit more if I'd been expecting what it actually was rather than something different.

*Seriously, there are a couple of lines that are literally quoted out of The Call of Cthulhu.

Years ago, I heard an anecdote, said to be originally from a cop, about a bank robber who was caught counting the money on a bench in a park around the corner. When asked how stupid the guy could be, the cop said something along the lines of "Well, we don't usually catch the smart ones."

On a related topic, I just rewatched National Treasure. Every time something goes wrong for them in that flick, it's because they (metaphorically) stopped to count the money right around the corner.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WestRider said:

Years ago, I heard an anecdote, said to be originally from a cop, about a bank robber who was caught counting the money on a bench in a park around the corner. When asked how stupid the guy could be, the cop said something along the lines of "Well, we don't usually catch the smart ones."

On a related topic, I just rewatched National Treasure. Every time something goes wrong for them in that flick, it's because they (metaphorically) stopped to count the money right around the corner.

The majority of the problems on Star Trek Discovery would be resolved with security cameras in sick bay and the brig. -_-;

• Like 2

Altar (2017): Surprisingly good for found footage. The POV character's reasons for carrying the camera around the whole time actually make sense, and the performances in general are really solid. The weakest part is the intro, unfortunately, but if you power through that (or just skip it, it's really not important to the rest of the flick), it's one of the better found footage horror flicks I've seen.

Hateful 8

6/8 mean bastards hung

In this delightful mix of "Clue" and "Cannibal the Musical" we follow renowned bounty hunter travelling through a snow storm on his way to collect on a head in Wyoming when he runs into some unexpected, if not unfamiliar, guests in what amounts to being a typical QT movie. 

Staring Sam Jackson as "Angry Black Man"

Walton Goggins as "Goofy Costar runnin show"

Tim Roth as "Creepy Brit"

And introducing Bruce Dern as "Grandpa"

• Like 1

Black Panther - it’s a Marvel movie so by now you should kinda know what you’re gonna get.  

It was fun, well designed, and well acted.  The antagonist had a stronger arc and motivation than most of the Marvel movies, which is nice.  

Fits well into the MCU and explored some real world themes at the same.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, shmitty said:

The antagonist had a stronger arc and motivation than most of the Marvel movies, which is nice.

Also saw Black Panther last night, really enjoyed it.  It is the Marvel MCU Formula, but they did expand it a bit with the above....the villain actually has solid motivation, and you commiserate with him.

Really enjoyed it, Wakanda looked awesome, the costumes were great, the tech amazing...they nailed it.

Will definitely see again!

• Thanks 1

I just got out from seeing Black Panther as well. In addition to the above, I noticed that there were a lot of parallels with the Thor movies. Not entirely unexpected, really, since both are about a prince dealing with the death of his father and becoming a king. Further, as a tribute to the quality of the actors and crew Marvel has put together, I'd note that, even with the sound cut out for the last 15 minutes or so, the ending was still not only understandable, but even compelling, purely through body language, facial expression, and cinematography.

Finally, as a serious Bucky fan, I was totally squeeing during the post credits scene.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WestRider said:

Hide contents

Finally, as a serious Bucky fan, I was totally squeeing during the post credits scene.

In regards to your post credits scene comment...

Several people in the audience squeeled when he showed up too, to which a few of my friends I was with laughed at (as they are African American), "Look the white people are excited to see another white main character!" :) :) :)

It was pretty hilarious, cuz I think it was very true.

Also, in other Credits Scene hopes...Shuri (sp?) sure looks good to be setup to replace Iron Man!  Make it so!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, andozane said:

In regards to your post credits scene comment...

Hide contents

Several people in the audience squeeled when he showed up too, to which a few of my friends I was with laughed at (as they are African American), "Look the white people are excited to see another white main character!" :) :) :)

It was pretty hilarious, cuz I think it was very true.

Also, in other Credits Scene hopes...Shuri (sp?) sure looks good to be setup to replace Iron Man!  Make it so!

I can understand that. I wouldn't have reacted that way for anyone but Bucky, but it is kind of amusing, even so. I certainly didn't react like that to Klaue or Ross.

Shuri basically having Riri Williams's role folded into hers would be awesome.

• Like 1

Lake Eerie: Not as good, and there is some particularly bad acting, but I liked the main character, and there were some references/Easter eggs that were amusing (particularly the Egyptologist and mystic whose initials happen to be HPL). I wouldn't spend money on it, but if you want a cheesy horror movie to kill some time and have Hulu, you could do far worse. Also, Lance Henriksen is in it, and I've never seen him turn in a bad performance.

The Amityville Terror: The best of the Amityville-related movies I've seen.

The post editor tried to restore that review. Unfortunately, what I saw tonight was Amityville Exorcism, likely the worst movie to try to cash in on the name, and, when I looked it up afterward, listed by at least one reviewer as the worst movie of 2017. The best parts barely managed to scrape "B-movie fun" territory. I basically finished watching it out of some car crash-type inability to look away. There is true horror here, and it's that this movie was actually completed and distributed.

Back when I was in middle school, the son of one of my teachers (I think he was a freshman in high school at that point) and a couple of his friends did a literally zero-budget Day of the Dead homage for a film class project. It may just be the haze of recollection, but I think their special effects and acting might have actually been better.

The woman playing the daughter looked more like she should have been cast as the mom. The only believable acting was the dad's drunkenness. Altho that might not have been acting. I know if I realized I'd gotten roped into something like this, I'd want to spend as much of the time involved as drunk as possible.

• Haha 1

The Snare: Not nearly as bad as most of the reviews would indicate. That said, I can understand why it gets so many bad reviews. It's got a ludicrously narrow target audience, with too much gore and other grossout stuff for the slow burn thriller crowd, and too much silent tension for the splatter crowd. As someone who loves slow burn thrillers, and has little problem with almost any level of gore and grossness, it worked for me, but most people seem to fall into at most one of those camps, so I couldn't recommend it to a general audience.

• Like 1

The Rift: Dark Side of the Moon. Not too bad, but it's also not as deep and thought-provoking as it thinks it is. The attempts to draw out the reveal feel really clumsy, and the actual reveal itself isn't worth as much as they think. Probably would have been really good cut down to like an hour and used as an episode of some Twilight Zone-type show, but it doesn't really hold together as a 90 minute film. The music is fantastic, tho, and I really might have to pick up the soundtrack.

Sweet Home: There are a few tweaks, but really, it's more or less a by the numbers home invasion thriller. Solidly done, perfectly serviceable, but not really a standout in any regard. Certainly worth your time if you like that sort of thing.

Annihilation 8.5/10
Loved it.  It is a "thinking" sci fi, like Arrival, 2001, or the director's earlier Ex Machina, with a little more action and intensity.  The acting was particularly great.  Natalie Portman did a great job and Tessa Thompson proved that herself with role that is the exact opposite of her character in Thor.
My favorite thing about it is that it doesn't sound like any other movie I have ever watched.  Even the guns have a different tone than typical Hollywood movies.  The soundtrack is little more a single acoustic guitar.
Of course, this will likely be one of those great movies that almost no one sees.
  • Like 1