Yarbicus

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Batman & Robin: Not nearly as bad as I'd been led to believe. Only Robin is really terrible. The rest is all just B-movie cheesy. Think of it more as an update of the Adam West stuff rather than a follow-on to the Burton flicks, and you're probably somewhere in the right ballpark.

15 minutes ago, WestRider said:

Batman & Robin: Not nearly as bad as I'd been led to believe. Only Robin is really terrible. The rest is all just B-movie cheesy. Think of it more as an update of the Adam West stuff rather than a follow-on to the Burton flicks, and you're probably somewhere in the right ballpark.

I will doubt your taste in movies, forevermore. 

The ABCs of Death: A very ambitious horror anthology, with 26 directors each assigned a letter, and then told to make a short film about a word starting with that letter and death. Unfortunately, there are a lot more misses than hits. B, D, H, and Q were the only ones I really liked. Most of the rest were just gross, lots of weird sexual and scatalogical stuff, plus some just plain WTF.

The Scribbler: Speaking of WTF. Just plain bat%@$# insane. It is theoretically about people with various mental illnesses, being set in a halfway house for them to transition back to the "regular" world. The characters bear about as much relationship to actual mentally ill people as might be expected from a horror flick, but if you think of it instead as some sort of possession or something, there's actually a pretty interesting murder mystery in there. It's weird and a lot of it doesn't make all that much sense, but in parts, it manages to hit something Real, something that actually makes it work.

Dallas Buyers Club tells a really interesting story that stands on its own. The two leads lost a dramatic amount of weight for their roles which is impressive but kind a movie cliche at this point. It's good that they did considering the story context. I thought the film did a good job of avoiding simplistic moral judgments even though the main character does not. It will resonate, maybe too closely with anyone who has ever had a dispute with a hospital about a sick relative. It motivated me to do some independent research on the subject matter. Good movie. 

The Creature Below: The description and pic on Hulu made it seem like a Creature Feature sort of flick, which led to me expecting something pretty different from the Lovecraftian* horror flick they were going for. Pretty sure I would have liked it quite a bit more if I'd been expecting what it actually was rather than something different.

*Seriously, there are a couple of lines that are literally quoted out of The Call of Cthulhu.

Years ago, I heard an anecdote, said to be originally from a cop, about a bank robber who was caught counting the money on a bench in a park around the corner. When asked how stupid the guy could be, the cop said something along the lines of "Well, we don't usually catch the smart ones."

On a related topic, I just rewatched National Treasure. Every time something goes wrong for them in that flick, it's because they (metaphorically) stopped to count the money right around the corner.

2 hours ago, WestRider said:

Years ago, I heard an anecdote, said to be originally from a cop, about a bank robber who was caught counting the money on a bench in a park around the corner. When asked how stupid the guy could be, the cop said something along the lines of "Well, we don't usually catch the smart ones."

On a related topic, I just rewatched National Treasure. Every time something goes wrong for them in that flick, it's because they (metaphorically) stopped to count the money right around the corner.

The majority of the problems on Star Trek Discovery would be resolved with security cameras in sick bay and the brig. -_-;

Altar (2017): Surprisingly good for found footage. The POV character's reasons for carrying the camera around the whole time actually make sense, and the performances in general are really solid. The weakest part is the intro, unfortunately, but if you power through that (or just skip it, it's really not important to the rest of the flick), it's one of the better found footage horror flicks I've seen.

Hateful 8

6/8 mean bastards hung

In this delightful mix of "Clue" and "Cannibal the Musical" we follow renowned bounty hunter travelling through a snow storm on his way to collect on a head in Wyoming when he runs into some unexpected, if not unfamiliar, guests in what amounts to being a typical QT movie. 

Staring Sam Jackson as "Angry Black Man"

Walton Goggins as "Goofy Costar runnin show"

Tim Roth as "Creepy Brit"

And introducing Bruce Dern as "Grandpa"

Black Panther - it’s a Marvel movie so by now you should kinda know what you’re gonna get.  

It was fun, well designed, and well acted.  The antagonist had a stronger arc and motivation than most of the Marvel movies, which is nice.  

Fits well into the MCU and explored some real world themes at the same.

12 hours ago, shmitty said:

The antagonist had a stronger arc and motivation than most of the Marvel movies, which is nice.

Also saw Black Panther last night, really enjoyed it.  It is the Marvel MCU Formula, but they did expand it a bit with the above....the villain actually has solid motivation, and you commiserate with him.

Really enjoyed it, Wakanda looked awesome, the costumes were great, the tech amazing...they nailed it.

Will definitely see again!

I just got out from seeing Black Panther as well. In addition to the above, I noticed that there were a lot of parallels with the Thor movies. Not entirely unexpected, really, since both are about a prince dealing with the death of his father and becoming a king. Further, as a tribute to the quality of the actors and crew Marvel has put together, I'd note that, even with the sound cut out for the last 15 minutes or so, the ending was still not only understandable, but even compelling, purely through body language, facial expression, and cinematography.

Finally, as a serious Bucky fan, I was totally squeeing during the post credits scene.

3 hours ago, WestRider said:

Hide contents

Finally, as a serious Bucky fan, I was totally squeeing during the post credits scene.

In regards to your post credits scene comment...

Several people in the audience squeeled when he showed up too, to which a few of my friends I was with laughed at (as they are African American), "Look the white people are excited to see another white main character!" :) :) :)

It was pretty hilarious, cuz I think it was very true.

Also, in other Credits Scene hopes...Shuri (sp?) sure looks good to be setup to replace Iron Man!  Make it so!

1 minute ago, andozane said:

In regards to your post credits scene comment...

Hide contents

Several people in the audience squeeled when he showed up too, to which a few of my friends I was with laughed at (as they are African American), "Look the white people are excited to see another white main character!" :) :) :)

It was pretty hilarious, cuz I think it was very true.

Also, in other Credits Scene hopes...Shuri (sp?) sure looks good to be setup to replace Iron Man!  Make it so!

I can understand that. I wouldn't have reacted that way for anyone but Bucky, but it is kind of amusing, even so. I certainly didn't react like that to Klaue or Ross.

Shuri basically having Riri Williams's role folded into hers would be awesome.