Rate the Last Movie You Saw

The Bad Batch: I think this one suffered from being badly marketed. Everything I've seen about it tries to make it seem like some sort of Mad Max Meets Texas Chainsaw Massacre thing or something like that. Honestly, I had no interest in watching it from any of the promo stuff, but decided to give it a try when I saw the cast, with folks like Jason Momoa, Keanu Reeves, and Jim Carrey in there. Horror/thriller/action. But it's actually much more just weird/atmospheric/trippy. Lots of long silent shots of people wandering around a desert and stuff. Let me put it like this: At one point, the main character takes some acid, and it doesn't really change the overall feel of the movie. I really liked it, but it's definitely a very specific thing, and if that's not what you're looking for, you're not going to like it. Good soundtrack, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Black Ghosts, aka Trans Somnium: IDEK.

OK, so there's a dark-haired woman who wanders around a lot calling out the name "Lucy". There are also some bits where she (or maybe another dark-haired woman, I couldn't really tell) wanders around and mashes up bowls of cottage cheese in silence. Then there's some blonde woman. At some point, there's some chanting and roaring, and then the titular black ghosts show up. They look kind of like they wanted to be from a Hellraiser movie, but ended up more something like a cheap black metal video, or something from one of the much older Dr. Who series. That goes on for a while, and then the credits roll. Also, at various points, there's some apparently gay stuff between the dark-haired and blonde women. I have no idea what any of it was about, or what the plot was supposed to be or anything.

17 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I agree, The Wall is much better. Although, I'm surprised you don't own DSotM already.

While it isn't actually a Pink Floyd soundtrack, the song that plays over the opening credits does sound a lot like their style. That was one of the reasons I looked up the soundtrack in the first place.

Primal: Feels like it was kind of low budget in some ways, but there's a lot of enthusiasm in it that makes it pretty good anyhow. In particular, the woman whose character gets turned into the vampire-ish monster was obviously having a blast with her part. Probably going to watch it again at some point.

Iron Man - (5/5 Arc Reactors)

The wife and I decided to rewatch our way through the MCU in anticipation of Infinity War next month.  

The first Iron Man still holds up really well.   The casting is great and it’s fun seeing random hints at the universe they were building (ie Coulson and the SHIELD Agents).  Good mix of humor and action.  

Wife says - She loves the Tony Stark character as a starting point and pretty much every scene with Pepper.  She frequently quotes the movie at me “waiting on you now”

Establishes the general theme of Marvel movies just being Fun.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Incredible Hulk - (3/5 Smashes)

This isn’t necessarily a bad movie, it just really isn’t any fun.  And seriously, Liv Tyler’s voice is really annoying.  The last time I watched this it was in a version that mixed it with Iron Man 2 and Thor as they all happen silmultaneously.  That was better than watching it alone.  Ross was good though, glad they brought him back at least.  

Wife says - I was kinda bored.  Not as entertaining as the rest of the Marvel shows. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jumanji recent not 1995. This is an amazing sequel! It gets a ten in my book, jumanji goes video game for a new generation. Funny, action packed, message,  and heart all comes together again. If all universe re exploration was this good I'd have no movie complaints. 

Also Jack Black playing a self absorbed 16 year old girl, now trapped in a middle aged man's body hilarious!

• Like 2

Iron Man 2 - (4/5 War Machines)

I actually like this movie more now than after my original viewing.  It fits better as a chapter in Starks story than as a stand-alone movie.  It helps to watch it right after Iron Man.  Always felt it would have been stronger if it had opened up with a scene of Iron Man “privatizing world piece”.   Otherwise it continues to have the Marvel mix of humor, action, and fun.  

Wife says - I especially like the part where Black Widow kicks some ass in the hallway. 

Oh and wow is Don Cheadle so much better than Terrence Howard.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, shmitty said:

The Incredible Hulk - (3/5 Smashes)

This isn’t necessarily a bad movie, it just really isn’t any fun.  And seriously, Liv Tyler’s voice is really annoying.  The last time I watched this it was in a version that mixed it with Iron Man 2 and Thor as they all happen silmultaneously.  That was better than watching it alone.  Ross was good though, glad they brought him back at least.  

Wife says - I was kinda bored.  Not as entertaining as the rest of the Marvel shows. 

One of the areas where the Ang Lee Hulk film really does beat the actual Marvel one is the casting for the Rosses. William Hurt is good, but for my money, he can't top Sam Elliot, and Jennifer Connelly did way better than Liv Tyler.

I've been watching through the Subspecies film series lately. They're not great, but I find them interesting because they fit so perfectly on the line of evolution from the Hammer Dracula flicks to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Anders Hove's Radu is also a very entertaining moustache-twirler type of villain. I do wish they'd been able to stick with Laura Tate for Michelle, as I liked her better than Denice Duff, who replaced her in the later films, but it wasn't too bad as recastings go. Also of note is that the fourth (or fifth, depending on whether or not you count The Vampire Journals as part of the series proper) was apparently released as both Subspecies 4: Bloodstorm and Subspecies: Awakening. As with some other flicks, this caused me some confusion, mostly thanks to Hulu's tendency to go with the less common title in these cases.

Nails: For the most part, a pretty good ghost flick. They did a very good job of managing the buildup, and keeping a variety of possibilities open for what might actually be happening. The end kind of gets away from them and goes off the rails, tho.

Aftershock: Good lord that was depressing. I need to start being more careful about doing some research on flicks Eli Roth was involved in before I watch them. Don't get me wrong: he makes good stuff. It just tends to be heavier than what I really want to watch most of the time.

• Thanks 1

BladeRunner 2049 - 9/10 - never seen #1 and it kept us moving not realizing there's a back story.

BladeRunner - 9/10 - No wonder it's a cult classic, funny watching it weeks later

Coco - ?/10 - DVD was bad :(

Boss Baby - 7/10 - Hated the premise: there's only so much love for one kid. Almost turned it off... pretty good by the end.

• Like 2

Thor - (4.5/5 Meow-meows)

I like the Thor movies although I don’t think I noticed how green screen heavy all the Asgard stuff is until this viewing.  The Thor/Loki dynamics are always great and this movie does a good job of building the base for them to grow on.  It’s actually a funny movie too, mostly based on all the fish out of water jokes.  

Wife says - I like it. I kept thinking how the one SHIELD Agent ends up working for Hydra.  And Darcy is the best.  

“We drank, we fought, we made our ancestors proud”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John Wick: Chapter 2 - watched it again last night.  Damn I love this movie.  John Woo would be proud and honored at the homage to his craft of gun-fu.

Ghostrider:  Spirit of Vengeance - why do I hate myself so much that I stayed up late to watch this.  Maybe it was the lure of Nick Cage and Idris Elba (and Christopher Lambert of Highlander fame) all on the screen at one time.  Maybe I was delusional based off the late hours, or maybe I was just to lazy to get my ass off the couch and upstairs to bed.  No matter the reason I suffered through this monstrosity that even if it had sharks I don't think Shane could suffer to watch it.  And how did it even get 4.5 starts out of 10?  I think even GI Joe: Retribution is better than this movie.

For reference

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4425200/?ref_=nv_sr_1

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1071875/?ref_=nv_sr_4

• Like 6

Battle Drone: Solid action flick, certainly worth your time if you just want to watch some cool fight scenes between a bunch of mercs and robots. It wants to be Terminator, but it's actually Kill Command. That's not actually bad, there's some solid action in here and such, and it entertained, but there's a reason I didn't hear about it until it hit Netflix. It's also one of those where you can totally tell who they wanted to cast, but couldn't afford. There's a dude who should have been Bruce Willis, another who should have been Jeremy Renner, and a woman who should have been Scarlett Johansson.

The Fog (2005): Not as bad as the reviews would have it, but not great, either. Not much in the way of jump scares or anything, but does a decent job of setting up a creepy atmosphere. Decent for a casual watch.

• Like 1

Final Justicey 7: the League Within

2/5

I see no value in rewatching this one. Steppen Wolf not playing their greatest hits sucked, but can't win them all. They clearly put a lot of money into Apokalypse.  

Overall, this is the worst fan remake of Final Fantasy 7 I've played. Cloud showing up for truth and Justice, and to save the civilians and prevent the events of Civil War from happening leaves us quoting Brad, "What's in the [big bad swear word]ing BOX?!"

• Haha 1

The Gingerdead Man: Basically a Child's Play knockoff with a gingerbread man instead of a doll. I find the concept of an animate, homicidal gingerbread man more plausible than a small town family bakery with that much space available ;) Like most of what I've seen from Full Moon, it's cheap and cheesy and sleazy and stupid and a fun flick if you like the schlocky stuff.

• Like 1

The Last Jedi 

Second watch. Possibly third and a half. 

It doesn't hold up well under subsequent rewatches, though I enjoyed it in theaters.

A lot of things are even more OTT, or feel like Disney catering to the fans. Snoke, especially, feels like the peoples voice, only to have his soap box removed. 

Mark was too Sushi Girl to be Skywalker, but I know I'm Oregon Jaded about the EU, still.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1