Rate the Last Movie You Saw

12 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

The Last Jedi 

Second watch. Possibly third and a half. 

It doesn't hold up well under subsequent rewatches, though I enjoyed it in theaters.

A lot of things are even more OTT, or feel like Disney catering to the fans. Snoke, especially, feels like the peoples voice, only to have his soap box removed. 

Mark was too Sushi Girl to be Skywalker, but I know I'm Oregon Jaded about the EU, still.

I tried to rewatch it and got through the first 5-10 mins and turned it off. Bloody awful and even worse (Didn't think it was possible) than watching it in the theatre. Such a shame a classic genre has taken a turn for the worse. I decided to throw on Rogue One and watched the whole thing and loved it (Now watched that about 5 times since the theatre) and the has solidified itself as one of my favorite SWU films now just behind Empire Strikes back. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Watched the first 20, or so, minutes of the Live-action version of Full Metal Alchemist (Netflix Subs). Terrible. 1/5. Very bad acting (if it can be called acting), plot is almost non-existant, with a clear target audience of people that already know what is supposed to be being portrayed in plot, and lots of action that just doesn't make any sense. None of the actors seem to have any ability to portray emotion.

I've watched both series, and this was not worth watching. Sad, really, since the show definitely has enough material to draw from to make a good film. 

If you haven't seen the tv series (either the original full metal alchemist or, the remake, full metal alchemist brotherhood), definitely worth watching. 

Catatonia: Another odd one to try to rate. There's a very strong story in here, but it's hampered by the low budget, and some directorial choices that seem odd for film. IMDB says it was only the director's second film, and I really wonder if he had experience with direction for stage performances before that. There were a lot of bits that felt like they would have worked better in a stage production, and a vibe that reminded me of some "enhanced" productions I saw in college that were essentially filmed stage performances, but specifically written to be filmed, and using that to do stuff that couldn't be done just on stage, like fades and scene jumps and characters appearing in multiple places at one time. It was certainly an interesting watch.

I should note that it's also a pretty heavy flick, specifically with some very disturbing sexual violence.

Captain America: The First Avenger - (5/5 Rocketeers)

After a brief trip out of the country it’s back to the MCU rewatch

Still one of my favorite MCU movies.  One of the biggest surprises was that they got him into the costume in a believable way.  Wish there had been more time with the Howling Commandos.  Evans just nails Cap as a character every time he’s on screen.    It’s hard not to root for him.  

Wife says - I really like the characters.  Wish the Agent Carter series had lasted longer.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, shmitty said:

Captain America: The First Avenger - (5/5 Rocketeers)

After a brief trip out of the country it’s back to the MCU rewatch

Still one of my favorite MCU movies.  One of the biggest surprises was that they got him into the costume in a believable way.  Wish there had been more time with the Howling Commandos.  Evans just nails Cap as a character every time he’s on screen.    It’s hard not to root for him.  

Wife says - I really like the characters.  Wish the Agent Carter series had lasted longer.  

This and Ant Man are the two where I really wish there was more time with the main character and their team. A Captain America and the Howling Commandos flick would have been so great. And yeah, I wish Agent Carter had gone on longer, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Avengers - (5/5 Quinjets)

This movie seemed impossible when it was first announced.  But it worked.  I’m hit and miss with Whedon as a director, but this was a good job by him of balancing fan service, banter, and big enough stakes to matter.  The movie works largely as Loki makes a compelling enough villain to carry the show. 

Wife says - love the banter and how they paired up the different characters.  

Oh, and Ruffalo fits the MCU so much better as Banner than Norton

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Iron Man 3 - (4/5 Trevors)

The movie that kicked off phase 2 of the MCU.  Really nice to move past origin stories for a bit.  The PTSD/anxiety cost of being a hero seems to be the theme.  It also sets up most of Stark’s motivations in the later movies he appears in.  Good casting overall and it reminded me that I need to watch Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang again sometime   

Wife says - It’s nice that they don’t keep rehashing the same thing.  I like that they kept putting him up against unique challenges.

I know some didn’t care for it, but I can’t see how else they could have brought the Mandarin to the screen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thor: The Dark World - (2.5/5 Realms)

Meh?   It’s a fine movie I guess, but mostly completely forgettable.  The Loki/Thor relationship is awesome as always, but really is just so much better than anything else going on.  The main plot just sorta feels tacked on.  Definite low point of the MCU.

Wife says - it’s a bad sign when the costumes and scenery are the best part.  Oh and Darcy, she still loves Darcy.  

Maybe directors from GoT aren’t the best choice for Marvel movies.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shmitty said:

Thor: The Dark World - (2.5/5 Realms)

Meh?   It’s a fine movie I guess, but mostly completely forgettable.  The Loki/Thor relationship is awesome as always, but really is just so much better than anything else going on.  The main plot just sorta feels tacked on.  Definite low point of the MCU.

Wife says - it’s a bad sign when the costumes and scenery are the best part.  Oh and Darcy, she still loves Darcy.  

Maybe directors from GoT aren’t the best choice for Marvel movies.  

I should re-watch it to be sure, but my theory is that it fell down because the other two Thor movies were primarily  Protagonist vs. Self stories, so it didn't matter so much if the external conflicts didn't hold up. TDW doesn't really have much in the way of internal conflict, so the weak external conflict is a much bigger problem.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WestRider said:

I should re-watch it to be sure, but my theory is that it fell down because the other two Thor movies were primarily  Protagonist vs. Self stories, so it didn't matter so much if the external conflicts didn't hold up. TDW doesn't really have much in the way of internal conflict, so the weak external conflict is a much bigger problem.

I kept asking myself “what was the movie trying to be?”  Phase 2+ in the MCU the movies usually had some archetype other than just super hero story.  (IM3 = PTSD study, Winter Soldier = political thriller, Ant-Man = heist).  Thor 2 doesn’t seem to do that except for maybe going for some of the Game of Thrones style gravity....   it doesn’t work.   

Anyways, I’m stuck home with the flu so there are more movies in the queue.  

• Like 2

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - (5/5 Falcons)

I love this movie and it really holds up to multiple viewings.  As good as the first Cap was a capturing the era he was born in, this is just an amazing modern-era Cap story.  Biggest surprise was that the directors, the Russo bros, had almost no movie experience before this   Their primary work had been comedies like Community!  (Which is a favorite of ours)

Wife says - Really like it, one of my favorites.  Fun to see Cap as a fugitive.  

“On your left”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Guardians of the Galaxy - (5/5 Dick messages)

I really thought this was going to be awful when if first came out.  Talk about Marvel scraping the bottom of the barrel.  Uh, well I was wrong.  GotG openend up new creative space for the MCU and showed that you could make an entertaining Space Opera with characters no one had ever heard of.  

One of the big premises involved using a former pro-wrestler as comic relief.  Should have known from The Princess Bride that it would be comedy gold. 

Wife says - I am Groot 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Avengers: Age of Ultron - (4/5 Maximoffs)

This was a lot better than I remembered it being.  The characters actions made more sense when watched more closely to their own movies.   You could see why Tony made Ultron, etc.   It still at times felt more like a string of stitched together moments than a cohesive story though.  

Wife says - Sad that Black Widow and Hulk didn’t get together.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Rampage!* Fun flick. I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about a tie-in video game. Seems like that could be a blast.** Anyhow, the movie itself is a bit slow at the start, but once it gets going, it's almost exactly what I want in a giant monster flick. I would have preferred it if the earlier parts had included more with the other two monsters, even if it was just them in the wild. Maybe it's just me, but I care less about the human interest aspect in this kind of movie, and more about the monster interest. Also, I kind of wish I could see the AU where they took it in a different direction and The Rock got exposed to the mutagen. Finally, I didn't see him credited, and I haven't looked it up, but the resemblance was so strong that I'm pretty sure George was played by Ron Perlman.

*I know the title doesn't actually have an exclamation point, but it totally should.
**Yes, I know. jk

• Thanks 1