Rate the Last Movie You Saw

The Host (2006 Korean film, not the 2013 American one): Another that was presented as a horror film, but I just found to be sad mostly. Good flick, tho, just (IMO) miscategorized. The monster is pretty cool (kind of a mix of fish, crocodile, frog, and who knows what else), and Go Ah-sung is really good as Park Hyun-seo, a little girl who gets captured by it. Also features Bae Doo-na, better known in the US as Doona Bae, from Sense8.

• Like 1

The Darkest Dawn: Found footage post-apoc thing. Aliens invade earth, killing everyone they can find. The survivors actually manage to consistently be worse to each other. Give it a try if you thought Lord of the Flies was a fun time. Maybe a cross between that and Bushwick would be a better comparison.

• Like 1

Wifey poo and I watched "Wind River" last night.  Not a bad flick, if a bit predictable.  6 or 7/10

We enjoyed the aspects of "life on the Rez" and how its really a different world a lot of the time.

Side note / rant:  I'm tired of Hollywood doing cinematic terminal ballistics.  If a human is struck with a round they don't fly backwards from the impacts.  Physics (on both ends) still applies.  I get it from a "hey, we need the audience to get a visual representation of what occurs" but people start believing that stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dalmer said:

Side note / rant:  I'm tired of Hollywood doing cinematic terminal ballistics.  If a human is struck with a round they don't fly backwards from the impacts.  Physics (on both ends) still applies.  I get it from a "hey, we need the audience to get a visual representation of what occurs" but people start believing that stuff.

I often wonder if you got enough people believeing the same thing, if it would become real. And, likewise, which things became real for this reason, in my lifetime.

Howard the Duck (1986)

3/5.

I think when they released this one, it's target audience simply didn't exist. Strange film, but it really isn't anything unusual compared to modern anime, Marvel and CGI films. It was good. Campy, corny, but watchable and the films grows on you as it progresses - didn't really like it at the start and loved it at the end.

Despite adult sexual themes in portions, there's no blood or realistic violence (very cartoony violence in places).

If you watch it, watch the side characters when they get captured. They keep getting trapped in easily escapable situations where they usually choose to remain trapped for unclear reasons. I had fun with this one.

And the stop-motion "final boss form" at the end is amazing - they did a really good job both in syncing the stop motion to the live action and in just making a really cool stop-motion creature. 

Watched it because it's one of the first films set in the Marvel universe, with the 1944 captain america being the first and this being the second. It's also on wikipedia's list of worst films of all time.

Not worth owning, but I did like this one.

Inquisitor (1996)

2/5

GW live action short film about an inquisitor and some dark angels just barely surviving against chaos. Worth seeing as a fan of 40k just for the costumes and setting, otherwise it's really bad. Streaming this guy is found on youtube.

Incredibles 2: Very fun flick. A worthy successor to the original.

XXX: State of the Union: Archetypal action film. Ridiculous plot, cool gear, badass actors.

Get Smart: Also fun. Doesn't always manage to stay on the rails, but it's a really solid cast, and it does a great job of capturing Smart's classic clumsy but somehow still effective work.

• Like 2

Ant-Man and Wasp. 

At first, before I saw the movie, I thought this IP was going to be lame. Instead, it is everything DC movies fail to understand about comic book movies: They need to be funny and fun. I saw the movie as a rental, and now own it. The sum is greater than it parts.

The sequel is better than the first in every way. I laughed harder. The fight scenes were better. The story was more imaginative. 

It is a win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Transformers, Last Knight or some nonsense. To be honest, I didn't actually finish the movie. I couldn't take it anymore with a full hour left. I don't know who the hell writes or directs these POS's, but sweet jesus, someone get them out of the film industry! They have completely ruined the IP. Just a total waste of time and I can't believe they got Anthony Hopkins to be in it. Boggles the mind.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

Transformers, Last Knight or some nonsense. To be honest, I didn't actually finish the movie. I couldn't take it anymore with a full hour left. I don't know who the hell writes or directs these POS's, but sweet jesus, someone get them out of the film industry! They have completely ruined the IP. Just a total waste of time and I can't believe they got Anthony Hopkins to be in it. Boggles the mind.

Maybe?

Unknown.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

Lol, that's my favorite Transformers so far, but I really didn't like the others....I don't think I'm in their target audience, and you probably are, so definitely a failure for them.

I like knights, dragons, and magic. The robots and the nazi-like america military I don't really appeciate. Would be cool if the next transformers ditches the robots....or the evil military. I'd like to see them in a good setting, like the old cartoon was, not this dystopian setting. 

15 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Would be cool if the next transformers ditches the robots....or the evil military. I'd like to see them in a good setting, like the old cartoon was, not this dystopian setting. 

Agreed...

Less of the re-write to the whole story and back to the "purity" of the Autobots and their mission

Hotel Transylvania 3.

7.5 of 10 monsters.  My young sons and I are fans of the franchise.  This one is cute and funny in most of the same ways as the first two.

Pretty epic battle at the end, but not in a normal battle sort of way 😉

I’ll probably own it eventually for kids/grandkids.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Revenge of the Pink Panther (on hulu)

2/5

Watched this last when I was a kid. Wow. This was more my Dad's kind of movie anyway (he likes Three Stooges), but I do recall it being better than it was. Aside from being very, very dated, there's also near constant anti-asian racism. And then the whole thing is a British film about French police. Lots of race based visual gags. There's also quite a bit of anti-trans stuff in the plot.

This is exactly the kind of film that political correctness is snuffing out. I don't think it was a very good movie to begin with, but this one has really not aged well. At this stage, I don't even think it's appropriate for children (no swearing and it's comical violence, but it has a lot of things that are very offensive in the modern context and your kids should not be repeating). 

7 hours ago, WarlordGhrom said:

Have you seen Nic Cage's list of films?  How about John Travolta (Battlefield Earth anyone).  Most do not have standards when it comes to a big paycheck or needing a new movie.

Nic Cage's movies are consistent enough that I'm fairly certain he has pretty strict standards. They just aren't what the rest of us would consider high standards.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WestRider said:

Nic Cage's movies are consistent enough that I'm fairly certain he has pretty strict standards. They just aren't what the rest of us would consider high standards.

If I'm thinking of the correct actor, which is big if, I do like that guy in film. He fills his role well. Plays a good hired killer, business man, or hmm...I think may be the only roles I've seen him in. Holds a fake hollywood gun as if it has weight, yeah, good actor.

I did see battlefield earth, though I didn't know he was in it. That one had cool costumes and a neat setting, but too much of a hollywood plot archetype and a crappy end. Granted, haven't seen it since it was in the theatres, so I really only vaguely remember it.

John Travolta is good too, but he's more of a physical actor. If his character doesn't speak much he's got the body language, but not much of a speaking actor. Grease was good. Face Off I enjoy when it was new. And I really liked that Phenomeon film, though that's one of those films that you only need to see once. Oh, Pulp Fiction too, I think. 

Dunno, I don't recall either of these guys in any really big movies where their role made the film, but they not bad actors either. Strong side characters in big films, and sold main characters mediocre films.