Rate the Last Movie You Saw

7 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

All in all, I think they just tried to do too much...and way too big of a story line for the first film.

You're not the first person I've seen say that it should have been split into two movies.

A few entries with some point of interest from the schlock pit:

• Crocodile 2: Death Swamp. Not great, but quite a lot better than the first one. Despite some moments of truly terrible acting, they actually managed to do a pretty good job with pacing and atmosphere and keeping the tension up.
  • Black Water Vampire. Mostly by the numbers found footage, but there are a few points of note. It does have a couple of aspects of the vampire involved that I hadn't seen before, but they're only shown very briefly. Apparently it was the first found footage vampire flick, which is kind of cool from a historical perspective. And it's set in some fictional, non-specific town somewhere in WA, which I always find kind of cool.
  • Night Wolf, aka 13 Hours. Again, notable for some twists on the classic version of the monster. Even tho it's promoted as a werewolf movie, the monster is not really a werewolf, but there are similarities, and the nature of the transformation back and forth has some pretty cool differences from the usual that I'd never run across before.
  • Like 1

250px-The_Pentagon_Wars.jpg

The Pentagon Wars a 1998 comedic made-for-tv movie from HBO, that was based on the book of the same name, about the massive boondoggle that was the development of the Bradley Fighting Vehicle: A troop transport that can't carry troops, a reconnaissance vehicle that's too conspicuous to do reconnaissance, and a quasi-tank that has less armor than a snow-blower, but carries enough ammo to take out half of D.C. 

Ton of great actors, almost all of whom you've seen in a thousand other productions, so expect a lot of "where do I know that guy from?" as you watch. No a knee-slapping, funny ha-ha film... More of an absurdist satire of military-political culture... Like a cross between Office SpaceThe West Wing and JAG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Greatest Showman - 9/10 - Wow, that really did live up to all the hype! Very impressed.
Even more impressed was listening to the bonus content where we learned this took 7 years before the green light was given.
That's what I call sticking with a dream!

Anyone know the story w/Jenny Lind? Did PT get infatuated in her and she used him? Or some false promise from him? Seems bizarre to think, having met his wife and daughters, she'd turn around try to get him to sleep with her. Maybe I'm dense, but I never saw him making any moves on her... yet she's the one who pursues something even when he says hell no... Did I miss something?

HellBoy 2019 - WTF, that preview looks terrible. Go back to the old cast! PLEASE
At least Milla Jovovich is in it.

The Meg: Pretty good for a creature feature flick. Jason Statham is entertaining as usual, and actually has pretty good chemistry with Li Bingbing. The shark was really cool, too, and I kinda wish I'd seen it in the theatre, since it would have been great to see those effects larger than life on the big screen.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ish said:

I don’t think anyone has said that ever. There are several good movies that she is in, but I can’t think of any that are good because she is in them... 

I think she was good in the 5th Element and The Messenger. There's always somebody who could have done it better, but credit where it's due.

Then Resident Evil came out in 2002. It was merely okay, but ended up being the trap door to her being typecast in that roll ever since (including 5 sequels).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Munkie said:

I don't think anyone has said that this Century.

There was a time when that was a good thing but not since she's been making exclusively terrible movies for close to 2 decades.

Hm... I've liked the Resident Evils... but then again I don't play the games so I don't know how they're ruining the game

They’re not bad as far as action-horror romps go, I’m just saying that Jovovich doesn’t really bring any intrinsic value to the films. You could replace her with any of a dozen other actresses without changing the film in any meaningful way... 

You can’t take, say, Meg Ryan out of a Meg Ryan movie and have it remain the same movie. You can’t take Meryl Streep out of a Meryl Streep movie and keep it the same movie. Jovovich? Meh, not so much.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ish said:

They’re not bad as far as action-horror romps go, I’m just saying that Jovovich doesn’t really bring any intrinsic value to the films. You could replace her with any of a dozen other actresses without changing the film in any meaningful way... 

You can’t take, say, Meg Ryan out of a Meg Ryan movie and have it remain the same movie. You can’t take Meryl Streep out of a Meryl Streep movie and keep it the same movie. Jovovich? Meh, not so much.

Wow... uh... you take your moves WAY too seriously... for the most part (incoming rant) I'm a simple movie watcher.

Skyscraper - 8/10 - I knew this was a turn your brain off thriller
                    But my tech brain just can't stand the security issues with the movie.

A billionaire isn't going to invest that much and have security so weak that they ONLY use facial recognition. Too many people argue the security of Face Rec (hell my coworker's daughter outsmarts iPhone X's Facial Rec). No one would only go off just that. 2 step authentication at a minimum.

The security on the tablet would auto lock after seconds or a minute of no use of the tablet. OR the fact she closed up the tablet, locked right then and there.

Great turn off your brain and enjoy. I was pleased with it.

• Haha 1

Don't worry, I am fully cognizant of my capacity to be a truly obnoxious cinephile. I'm the sort of person that gets into flame wars with other nerds about the proper aspect ratio for On the Waterfront (1.85:1 or nothing!). On the other hand, I'm equally happy watching a pretentious, art house French la nouvelle vague navel gazer as I am watching a beer'n'popcorn, grindhouse B-Movie. 

Roger Ebert (peace be upon him) was the main influence on my philosophy for films. Roughly paraphrasing, Ebert used to say that "what matters isn't what a film is about, what matters is how the film is about it." This means that if a film-maker sets out to make an artsy-fartsy, gripping, emotional, character-driving, epic adaptation of a Dostoevsky classic, then he has an obligation to his audience to make the best damn artsy-fartsy film he can make. Similarly, if a film-maker sets out to make a action-adventure story about a giant radioactive lizards that eats Tokyo, then he owes us the best damn giant monster movie he can make.

This is why I can, simultaneously and unashamedly, love Henry V and Harry and the Hendersons; Why I can love Star Trek VI, but hate Star Trek V; Why I can respect directors as diverse as Akira Kurosawa and Roger Corman, Ed Wood and Clint Eastwood...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Megalodon: I felt like another giant shark movie after The Meg. Much lower budget (SyFy, I believe) and the effects aren't nearly as cool, but it still hit the spot. Also got me wanting to re-read The Abyss Surrounds Us and Into the Drowning Deep.

28 Days Later: Much, much better than the sequel was. For some reason, tho, I haven't like Cillian Murphy in any role I've seen him in other than the Scarecrow, and this was no exception.

Candyman: I needed something a little different after finishing ASoUE. I hadn't realized this was a Clive Barker flick, but it's definitely right in his style. Got that odd thing going that happens with so much of his stuff, where when you really start thinking about it, it starts to fall apart, but while you're in the middle of it, it works perfectly. Also some serious early 90s aesthetic there. Flashback city. Apparently Jordan Peele is working on a remake/sequel, which seems like it will probably be pretty awesome.

• Like 1

Super Mario Bros.: This is another where I can totally see both why it was such a flop and why it eventually became a cult classic. The plot ranges from nonsensical to non-existent, and a lot of the movie is cheesy and stupid, but the aesthetic is very cool, and pretty much unique, and Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo are really quite good in the title roles once it gets going.

• Haha 1