Rate the Last Movie You Saw

At least the Hunger Games made a little sense.  I read Battle Royale (the novel) and then saw the movie - still don't get why the hell they pit kids against each other.   The second Battle Royale was even lamer.

My understanding was always that the youth decided to rebel against the old folks....the old folks won and as punishment (or to show the youth that the adults make the rules) each year a random class was selected to take part in the Battle Royale. That'll teach them kids to get off all our lawns!!!

At least the Hunger Games made a little sense.  I read Battle Royale (the novel) and then saw the movie - still don't get why the hell they pit kids against each other.   The second Battle Royale was even lamer.

In the manga, the idea is that they deliberately put the kids in the lower achieving classes into the fights, with the logic being a method of "purifying" the japanese race from these weak elements. Much of anime is very prideful of their heritage, sometimes to a very hateful degree.

I will note that in the hunger games, the end where she bluffs the romeo and julliet ending would not fly in japanese manga. That sort of valuing life doesn't seem as present in anime and manga - they value it, but I rarely see japanese hostages  in japanese manga/anime taken as seriously as the hostages in american films.

Battle royale has a similar ending in principle, where the heroes fight against the system, but I recall it being achieved in a more destructive manner.

In general, the hunger games really does work hard for their non-R rating.

I will note that this, alike many, is another example of a pro-anarchy/anti-statism film, where the state is an oppressive and corrupt body that the individual must step up and deal with.

-Pax

I will note that in the hunger games, the end where she bluffs the romeo and julliet ending would not fly in japanese manga. That sort of valuing life doesn't seem as present in anime and manga - they value it, but I rarely see japanese hostages  in japanese manga/anime taken as seriously as the hostages in american films.

-Pax

if you read the books, it is clear it is not about life.  it is about control.  The gamesmakers didnt want to lose control, so they spared them specifically for the further ramifications to the whole society.

Schlock cinema review.

Creature with the Atom Brain: 6/10 : 1955 science zombie film. A gangster who was deported teams up with a german scientist to reanimate the dead with radiation and is out for revenge on those to put him away. Starring the Richard 'Governor of Hawaii' Denning. Some really painful 1950s honey you run in the kitchen and fix dinner this is man talk lines but fair acting and neat story.

I missed last weeks showing of This Island Earth for the kids school band concert as he is in the band. It was change in schedule in memoriam for Russell 'The Professor' Johnson. That one is actually a quality film and you should see it if you haven't happily it is one I have already seen. One of the all time classic sci-fi movies with one of the coolest looking monsters ever. And if you can track down the Raymond F. Jones short stories that the movie is based on as they are great fun as well.

Not enough pervy teachers with squirt guns at the end of Hunger Games for it to be considered the same ending. I've got my fingers crossed for the final 2 installments rectifying that mistake.

Again, the difference between american films and anime/manga. It's basically a good translation.

-Pax

Good Burger (1997)  10:10

Truly the most poignant and underrated cinema of our time, it perfectly encapsulates the duality and injustice of the great American fast food industry - how we both oppress and beat down the "burger artist" while simultaneously placing his life's work (Ed's Special Sauce) on a glorious and shining pedestal.  Watch with someone you love.

MV5BMTkwNDYxNTUzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzY5

• Like 2

Last schlock movie of the winter quarter

Beyond the Time Barrier : 7/10 (for a b movie) : The actual science is at least based in reality but they take it to extremes. Directed by Edward G Ulmer who was a predecessor to Roger Corman, He just cranked out the films 52 between 1930 and 1964. A bit slow moving, but with lines like 'What kind of female are you?' there is fun to be had. For better works by him see Detour or The Black Cat.

Then for home watching. I found a gem as recommended by a married couple in the class.

Rare Exports : 10/10 : Santa is real and it turns out you don't want him visiting for Christmas. Wonderful creepy Christmas fun from Finland. In the running with Gremlins for best Christmas movie ever.

Dragonball Evolution.

That's the live action american dragon ball movie they made. Maybe a 6/10, but mainly because I'm a huge fan of dragon ball. The movie is a really good job trying to make ~150 episodes of the original dragon ball TV series into a hour and a half movie, then transplanted into an american audience setting. So I think they did a good job with an impossible task, making for a very mediocre film. 

-Pax

I have to strongly disagree with you, Pax.  I wouldn't give that movie higher than a 3/10 and I love DB.  Honestly, I tell people to not waste their time with it.  So I don't think I'd even give it a 3 lol

I'm watching the Lego Movie right now, only 15 minutes into it, but holy crap.  I think any discussion of it belongs in RoC.  So much social commentary in it, like holy crap.  

I have to strongly disagree with you, Pax.  I wouldn't give that movie higher than a 3/10 and I love DB.  Honestly, I tell people to not waste their time with it.  So I don't think I'd even give it a 3 lol

I agree that it isn't really worth seeing as a DB fan, but I also don't think it's written for DB fans. If you tried to cram the 153 episodes of awesome content into a 80 minute film and marketed it to people that have never seen the show, it would be pretty much impossible. The fact that they created a coherent movie from that is a 5/10 or 6/10. I also think the casting, cgi and costumes really fit the campy-ness of the TV show, though they really failed miserably to capture the martial arts....

As a movie not based on the show, I agree 3/10 is pretty generous. They failed in many ways. They had too many main characters, too many unnecessary setting changes, entire sections that weren't needed for the plot, and so forth.

The 6 of 10 reflects the difficulty of what they tried to do and the resulting film. I do think the movie is a "D" if viewed as an attempt to make 153 episodes of a TV show into an 80 minute film not marketed to those who have seen the TV show.

-Pax

The Wolf of Wall Street.

I saw it at the Ziegfeld in NYC which probably added a few points to my relatively low enjoyment factor. As for the movie...meh. 6-7/10...maybe. Scorsese....Martin...buddy: It was great for the first hour but after that just how many boobs, bumps and bombshells can you substitute for a plot.

As for the fact that the storyline was based off of a real person who just happened to be cellmates w/ Tommy Chong in some federal prison when Chong convinced hm to try to get his story out there.

Finally got around to seeing Lilo and Stitch. Didn't watch it for years because it seemed like it was built on "wacky antics"-type humour, which I can't stand. 10/10, it was the best flick I've seen in ages. Great characterization, wonderful plot, solid humour (even the slapstick stuff), even the antagonists are sympathetic, just a wonderful movie.

• Like 2

Watched "The Good, The Bad, And The Weird" again last night. Blew me away again 9/10. It's foreign, it's subtitled, some of the Manchurian/Korean/Japanese cultural references I don't understand and it feels like they tried to push the badassery of one character a little too far in one scene. That's my only complaints and they're minor at that. Everything else is simply amazing! Lots of side factions fighting, racing, cheating and killing each other in search of a map. Complex story that's easy to follow, characters with depth (even the evil torturing psychopath is understandable and almost tragic). The end is freaking amazing, when I realized the secret behind the Finger Chopper.....totally worth watching. On Netflix now.

Do it,

You know you want to

;)