Burk

OFCC annoucement

After 11 years, the OFCC will be undergoing a change this year.  The OFCC 40k and WFB events will be combined into a single weekend this year, moving to a new venue, and expanding the event into a 4 day weekend.  The premier OFCC's will still be held on the Saturday and Sunday, but with the additions of Thursday/Friday gaming events. 

The events are still TBD, but you can count on Nova style opens for 40k and WFB, as well as X-Wing, Malifaux, and possibly Bloodbowl.  Any system that there is enough interest in can be run if there are volunteers to facilitate. 

Here is what you need to know. 

Dates: September 25-28 2014

Room reservations: 109/119 per night (1 queen/2 queen) - Pricing only good till 8/27/14.

• Space is limited.  We only have 15 room nights at this rate for the friday/saturday.  So book early.  If you dont get a room at this lcoation, there are many other hotels around.  
  • Rate is good until block sells out or August 27th, 2014
  • Parking in on-site garage is extra, so inquire at time of booking as street parking is limited

How to book:

Your OFCC Head of Gaming (HOG) for the 2014 season will be:

Joel (BigTal) - 40k

Eric (Raindog) - WFB

Josh (Obscure Reference) - Malifaux

The HOG's will have posts going up in the next few months to start the team building process/event specific info etc.

Welcome to the 2014 OFCC season.  We look foward to seeing you all again.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask or PM me.

Burk

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE:  Tentative Schedule

Thursday events (starts at noon):

X-wing individual tournament

Star Trek Attack Wing tournament (still looking for confirmation of TO, if interested PM)

Infinity tournament

Open gaming ($5 fee if not registered for another event)

Friday Events (starts at 9am)

X-wing TEAM tournament (1 rebel, 1 imperial per team)

Malifaux tournament

Infinity tournament

WFB open

40k open

Bloodbowl (depending on interest)

Malifaux - Masters of Ordo

Open gaming ($5 fee if not registered for another event)

Friday evening social and pub quiz 9PM

Saturday

OFCC 40k

OFCC WFB

Malifaux -  "Story Encounter" (daytime)

Malifaux - "Are U Hardcore" (nighttime): cost is $5, if not in the Story encounter event.  If in 

Sunday

OFCC 40k

OFCC WFB

Malifaux - "Story Encounter"

Costs - OFCC 40k/WFB - $75 (20% discount for Ordo Fanaticus Champions Reaver level and above)

Malifaux Story Encounter - $60 (discount for Ordo Fanaticus Champions Reaver level and above)

Malifaux Hardcore - free if entered in Story Encounter, $5 open play fee if not.

Thursday events - $15 each (20% discount for Ordo Fanaticus Champions Reaver level and above)

Friday events - $20 each (20% discount for Ordo Fanaticus Champions Reaver level and above)

Champ levels can be found here.  Join Ordo Fanaticus as a Reaver level champion will recoup any champ dues with an entry to the OFCC and to a friday event.

Ticket info can be found: here

More info to come as it is finalized...

Can the senate share why the decision was made?

To combine the events?

We reached capacity with both events which required a change in venue. When we were shopping for larger venues, it became clear that finding a single venue for both events made sense financially and logistically. By hosting a single event, we could grow and expand. As we develop the schedule, it will be come clear that participants will have the opportunity to play both 40K and Fantasy during the long weekend. It is true the team events will run simultaneously, and require players to choose one or another. This is one of the reason we wanted to get the announcement out a early as possible.

As I've said a number of Senators individually, I think this ideas is brilliant for a number of reasons: 

1) Economically, one weekend where most of the players core events don't cross over, combining makes great sense. Plus, more space is great for the club's and show's growth.

2) Promotionally, there will be no confusion about the event. OFCC is now THE big event for Warhammer (and honestly, wargaming) in the region (another reason for more space)

3) For players, we get a chance to do more than just one thing in the weekend. The Friday gaming in particular lets folks play in multiple tournaments (much as some 40k players did in the 40k Open on the Friday before 40k OFCC) or try something new out while warming up for the big show on Saturday. Smaller games like Malifaux, Warmachine, and X-Wing will finally have a chance to get some exposure as part of OFCC. 

4) For companies, there's new reasons to promote all of OFCC - the side games happening on Friday are a great opportunity to expose new audiences to your different products and to collect a whole lot of very enthusiastic wargamers all in one place. 

5) Timing wise, it's way better - after the summer so kids are back in school, no longer competing with any big conventions elsewhere in the country, but early enough in the year that the con season isn't entirely over. Perfect.

Honestly if there are any real downsides, IMO they pale in comparison to the upsides.

You sir, have good points.

5) Timing wise, it's way better - after the summer so kids are back in school, no longer competing with any big conventions elsewhere in the country, but early enough in the year that the con season isn't entirely over. Perfect.

Except this one. The new timing being good or bad is on a player by player basis. Kids back is school? How is that good? Seems that makes it harder for Dad to shove the whole thing off on Mom (or whichever way it goes). What if the player is in school? Oh look, me! I probably will not be able to skip class for two days AND not have a weekend to catch up. What about Teachers? The event is no longer in their summer off.

Anyway, don't assume that if the timing is good for you it is good for everyone, unfortunately I know there are a good number of people the timing is much worse for.

At this point I can't say that I'll be coming unless there are more double queen rooms made available, and the room rate is opened up for Thursday arrivals and Monday departures (ie a four night stay). Sad to say, but that's the state of it right now. I really wanted to defend my last place from 40K 2013, and reach for Marshall's award at the same time!