What books are you reading or have recently read?

Raak

10 hours ago, paxmiles said:

@WestRider You recommended those Dragonlance books, I think. Been reading the first one (chronicles 1). I don't hate it, but I'm pretty sure I've read it before and that's taking the thrill out of it's plot. Or maybe I read a sequel that sumarizes it, or something. Anyway, I'll try to get to the end and start the sequel, and if that one I haven't read, I'll probably like it. Weird that I really don't remember the book, but the reading is really, really familiar.

Pretty sure that wasn't me. I didn't really like most of the Dragonlance stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 10:51 AM, InfestedKerrigan said:

It was me and a couple others suggesting it.

My favorites were the War of Souls, and then various short story anthologies.

Finally noticed that you responded to me. Thanks. I think I get you and westrider and disruptive conduct mixed up (online, anyway). Maybe one other. Not sure why.

Let's see, got 4 of them at the library from the start of chronicles. For starters, I think I've read some of the first one before. I didn't get very far this time either. Not sure if the book was at fault, or if I was just already burnt out from reading other things and hadn't realized it, but with 4 weeks of check out from the library I barely got through the first book. Returned them before getting any late fees.

I might try again, later. It wasn't terrible, but I couldn't get into it.

Haven't been reading anything lately. I tend to go in bursts.

Tim Powers'  Alternate Routes: It feels like an action-y Fault Lines novel, with the requisite mythological weirdness combined with the living treating the dead badly. I enjoyed it (it is Tim Powers after all) but it isn't as good as the Fault Lines titles, Anubis Gates, or Declare. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've read 4 books since monday...Didn't do any reading today or yesterday, so really just monday and tuesday reading. Had that rare encounter at the Library where they had multiple complete series in stock.

So all books were Raymond E Feist and all in the same setting.

Demonwar Saga (2 books read)

Chaoswar Saga (2/3 books read)

Books were good, though kinda short. Last book in Chaoswar is pretty long compared to the others and is supposed to be the end of the setting's main protagonist.

"The Sorrows of Empire" - by Chalmers Johnson.

I had started this book back in the 90's... and put it down.  Recently I picked it back up with my audible app and listened straight through in less than a couple evenings.  Disturbingly accurate - and even though its dated to only Bush juniors presidency it felt fairly relevant.  

You get to thinking that it is kinda a pointless system to think a common person in this country really controls anything -  And the Empire that is the US is doomed to fail sooner rather than later.  History shows this to be true...  with the current administration things may be speeding along a bit faster than before.  Anyhow, very informative... thought provoking - if a bit depressing.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Becoming Nicole, by Amy Ellis Nutt

Basically a case study of a young trans woman growing up, and becoming part of a couple of the landmark court cases for trans rights. Particularly interesting because she has an identical twin brother who is cisgender. Much of it is more or less narrative, but there are also some chapters that provide information on the brain science and epigenetics of trans people, and the relevant legal issues. Pretty easy read, doesn't get bogged down in irrelevant technical details or jargon, but still plenty of solid content.

• 1 month later...

I just finished Old Man's War, by John Scalzi. I went into it expecting Ann Leckie, and got something closer to "Not-crazy Heinlein writes the novelization of the Starship Troopers movie" It took me a bit to change mental models 😄 During that process, I really didn't enjoy to book. Once I managed to reacclimatize,  I kind'a got into it. I'll read the next one, The Ghost Brigades... probably sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andy said:

I just finished Old Man's War, by John Scalzi. I went into it expecting Ann Leckie, and got something closer to "Not-crazy Heinlein writes the novelization of the Starship Troopers movie" It took me a bit to change mental models 😄 During that process, I really didn't enjoy to book. Once I managed to reacclimatize,  I kind'a got into it. I'll read the next one, The Ghost Brigades... probably sooner rather than later.

Yeah, Scalzi is definitely more in Heinlein's style. I kind of burnt out on his after a few, but I think that's mostly because they're so dense that reading a bunch in quick succession can get overwhelming. I should get back to them again sometime here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Old Earth... book 47.  I'm almost done with the Horus Heresy series and I love it.  I know some folks don't, but I love how things have been fleshed out.

This book gave some backstory for me:  why the Iron Hands chapter is a bunch o' jerks; what happened to Vulkan; Eldrad is a baller; etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cadia Stands

The Watchers of the Throne:  The Emperor's Legion

The Talon of Horus

The first two in order to "catch me up" so to speak.  The last one was excellent... I really like how the story fleshed out and gave backstory to the Black Legion (before they were the Black Legion).  For all the years of hearing things akin to "Failbaddon" it really gave me a better depth of what he was trying to do at the outset and why.  Really neat perspective.

• Like 1

Finished the Enduring Flame series by Mercedes Lackey (3 books, all with "pheonix" in their title)

For starters, there are no pheonixs in this series at all. I think it's just a catchy name.

Reads as two books released as 3. 

Series isn't bad, but it isn't notably good either. Was a quick read. I was fortunate to have all three at the library at the same time.

I will note that this is explores the neutral good antagonist vs a neutral good protagonist. May be the first books I have read in a long while that tried this.

Collegium Chronicles series by Mercedes Lackey (5 books).

Very much enjoyed this quick series (less than a week to read). Been reading this author lately, like the author's way of writing. Good fantasy books.

That said, this author doesn't structure their books the way other authors seem to, with regards to the fantasy setting - The books often don't end at a point of closure, nor at a cliffhanger. Hard to describe, but it throws me off. It's not bad, just different. I feel like she ends her books when the player characters have to go home, but then writes the book without explaining which ones are player characters. Just different.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get every book in a long series (The Imager Portfolio) at the library at once. L.E. Modesitt jr. So far, I'm 4 books in. Starts with Imager. First 3 books cover one character in one setting. 4th book (Scholar) is a fresh character and similar setting, with further books adding to it.

I like the books. Well written fantasy where the only real magic that wizards do is to create copies of things they've already seen - so their fantasy setting is more about science in regards to a setting where wizards are basically 3d printers.

I will note though, author writes with "traditional christian values" being heavily in the setting. Pretty sure the author is Mormon (I recall a conversation with another reader who criticized the author on this point, so I feel it's worth repeating to other would-be readers). I filter pretty well and am able to enjoy this author, but if you are looking for a more modern take on social justice issues, this is not that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imager_Portfolio

• 2 weeks later...

The Emperor's Gift by ADB (my fav Black Library writer, I think.  Dunno.  Close call)

If you like the Space Wolves, you'll like this book.  If you read the Ravenor series, you will have an *AHA!* moment I bet.

I enjoyed the book.  What's the greater good (not the Tau version) worth to folks?  How much will folks sacrifice?  Makes ya think...

On 9/19/2019 at 11:33 PM, dalmer said:

The Emperor's Gift by ADB (my fav Black Library writer, I think.  Dunno.  Close call)

If you like the Space Wolves, you'll like this book.  If you read the Ravenor series, you will have an *AHA!* moment I bet.

I enjoyed the book.  What's the greater good (not the Tau version) worth to folks?  How much will folks sacrifice?  Makes ya think...

Good book,

Reminds me of swinging glow bats on Lowca.

And you went master powers... Lol!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tired of not finding books I want to read at the library, I decided to read Harry Potter (book 1) for the second time. Nostalgia, I guess. Haven't read it in about 20yrs. In 7th or 8th  grade, our librarian got some copies directly from the UK, so I read that first one before the craze and quite a long while ago.

Started earlier today, I've read half in the last 2 hours. First book is pretty short compared to the others, though it was a normal size book for a 7th or 8th grader's novel.

Honestly, this first book isn't very good, as I read it now. It just progresses at a quick pace and that allows it to glaze over it's many failings. Kinda like a thriller in that respect. It bombards the readers with lots of fantasy ideas and has very little on-topic substance. On the other hand, this approach is perfect in laying the groundwork for a sequel, as it offers lots of potential to later build into an epic fantasy setting. So as a stand alone, while it being a quick read may make it read-able, it's not really worth reading. But as a the first in a series, I think the author did a good job.

Though the protagonist, Harry Potter, is just scum. It's a story about a 1%er who always has everything go well for him and barely has to make any decisions. Yes, he has "backstory" sadness, but it's not really part of the book - in the book, everything always gets better. Problems around him tend to get resolved by his friends, who flock to him either because of his unearned income, his prophetic birth, or because of his many powerful allies inherited through his conveniently decreased parents. If presented with a fork in his path, he always chooses the easiest path with the nicest people in it. He's like one of those Harem anime male protagonists.....dunno, I think it mainly bugs me because of the hype around this series. He's not that uncommon for a fantasy protagonist.

Wow, talk about a tinted view and reading.  It's a book about a 12-year-old with all the well-informed and considered decisions you would expect from one.  You've ignored all the people who hate him for his history, all of Slytherin, Snape and others and you forget that even if he's liked by people in Gryffindor he still gets [big bad swear word] from them as well.  This only gets worse and worse the farther you get into the series as well.

The first book is actually well edited and tightly written.  It gives you the details you need to understand why and when things happen and very little more.  That includes introducing you to the Dursleys, a large part of the backstory sadness that you are blowing off, and detailing a bit of how the houses work although you are supposed to know that because it was written initially for a British audience.  After that all the scenes are actually either plot or character development, which is something you cannot say about later books (by book 5 she was being very loosely edited and there is a lot of dark, useless crap in that book).

Finally, the series is not strictly about Harry.  It's an ensemble story which includes his friends and that is intentional.  It's written in his viewpoint but he is not the sole protagonist.

• Like 1