What books are you reading or have recently read?

Raak

Fortune's Pawn, by Rachel Bach. Very engaging MilSF/Space Opera. A talented merc signs on as a security officer with a trader whose ship is rumoured to be cursed due to how often they get in trouble, because she's been told this will provide a big boost to her ambitions of joining the Devastators, the God-King's personal bodyguard and most elite power-armoured Unit in known space. Small-scale, light on the science, but good characters. She actually mentions in an afterward that she likes 40K, and there are a couple of noticeable influences from there (the aforementioned God-King, and also potential random time distortion from FTL travel).

It's the first in a trilogy, and I'm waiting for the other two to arrive. Currently reading The Science of Discworld, and it's good, but every time I pick it up, I'm disappointed that it's not the next one in the trilogy ;)

• 3 weeks later...

The rest of the Fortune's Pawn trilogy was also really enjoyable. I felt like the romance arc fell pretty flat, but I tend to be really picky about romance arcs, especially in prose, so someone with less ridiculous standards in that area would probably enjoy them even more.

I also read the first half or so of Hieroglyph. It's a short story collection that grew out of a project Neal Stephenson started. I didn't really care for it, but I think that was mostly because of the gap between my expectations and the actual stories. It was presented as hopeful hard sci-fi, a counter-point to dystopian and apocalyptic fiction. The fact that those were the most optimistic stories they could come up with was really depressing to me. Most of them were good stories, but they weren't what I'd call hopeful.

• 2 months later...

Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie. A very dense read, kind of hard to get into, but very interesting. The viewpoint character is an AI who controls thousands of drone bodies or Ancillaries. The action also takes place over two tracks, one twenty or so years before the other that provides background for what's happening in the "main" narrative. Finally, the viewpoint character's culture/language disregards gender, and only uses a single pronoun regardless, which gets a bit odd at times, but highlights things in a very interesting way. Highly recommended to anyone who liked The Left Hand of Darkness.

The Stars My Destination - Alfred Bester

Andozane had commented how much he liked this book in a thread here a while back and I was intrigued so I picked it up. The original title, Tiger! Tiger!, is much more fitting of the book's savage protagonist, Gully Foyle. He seethes with raw power on every page and is so different from the typical lead character that he really sets the book apart from anything else I've read. It has aged incredibly well, you would never guess it was written in 1956! It is, for it's size (250 some-odd pages) one of the best science fiction novels out there and if you are a fan of the genre I cannot recommend it enough.

• Like 2

Finally finished the Eye of the World series. I have owned the last book since it was released, but just couldn't find the heart to read it. Went on vacation to the parent's house and decided to read the last three books while I was there. Mr. Sanderson had a monumental task in trying to finish the work started by Jordan. I don't envy him. I think he succeeded more than he failed, though there were some painful parts to read through. But there were also some excellent parts as well. I couldn't help but wonder most of the time as I was reading, how Jordan would have done it. Which details did Sanderson add in, and which ones were left by Jordan?

I think my biggest complaint though is that the epilogue was not long enough. There were so many unanswered questions. Here you had this long list of characters that you'd spent years getting to know, and now the story was done, and other than if they were alive or not, you knew nothing else. It was unsatisfying.

I'm glad I finally finished it though. It has been my favorite series since college. Whenever I do find time to read, I have picked up the Eye of the World more times than not and started the adventure all over again. I will always highly recommend the Jordan novels. The Sanderson ones are okay.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Ghost Fleet (by PW Singer and August Cole)… it sounded like a good techie war (near future) book.  Things started off good for my tastes - but by half way the logic for reasoning and tactics by the major powers in the war - really started to be irritatingly dumb.  Billed as a pentagon insider writes about a future possible war.  Supposedly with some sorta of factual background about things… but really it started to get kinda BLAH.  The book jumps around quite a bit between players in the story.  Sometimes spending a couple pages on someone whom just ends up dead lol.  It's wasn't unfun throughout.  But in the end I just powered through the last 20% or so just to be done with it.  Looking back I kinda felt like it was just not that smart … it used a lot of tech stuff - and descriptions and all that.  It had good background information and connections to real stuff.  But the actual story and driving forces got kinda silly to me.  Or very simplistic. 

6.5-7/10

-d

• Like 1

Ancillary Sword. As a sequel, it was able to work from the worldbuilding laid down in Ancillary Justice, and spend more time on characterization and plot. If you liked the first one, you'll probably like this one. Myself, I'm really looking forward to the third book.

I have this in my cue… I think by both the first and second.  I am debating on what to read next.  Currently reading BioMega (manga) … but maybe I will try the first one next.

-d

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Shepard's Crown. I took my time with it, because it was the last time I was going to get to read a new Pratchett for the first time. Mostly really good, the only downside was this kid, Geoffrey, who would have been fine if he'd had his own book, but here, he felt like he was derailing Tiffany's story. Despite those issues, together with Raising Steam, it does an excellent job of...not wrapping up, but leaving the Discworld at a decent stopping place. You know life is going to go on, but after those two, there's nothing specific and big hanging around unresolved.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Pym, by Mat Johnson. It's a weird book, a heck of a trip. A sequel to, and satire on, Poe's Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym, as filtered through the experiences of a Black American, and riffing heavily on Poe's use of Whiteness and Blackness in the environment of his tale. Also manages to touch on water shortages, colonialism, terrorism, Thomas Kinkade, and Little Debbie snack cakes. Somehow, it all works, and ends up being considerably more coherent and enjoyable than Poe's original.

• Like 1

Read The Towers of the Sunset, the sequel to the one I posted before. This one solved the issues with sloppy editing, but the main character changed from that book to this one, and the new character isn't as good as the first one. 4/5 again.

Anyway, picked up the next two books, I'm looking forward to a perfect read, one of these days. The guy has potential.

I really like the Saga of Recluse books, but haven't seen anyone else who has read them.  I started reading them ~8 years ago when I read the first 4-5 in a row over a couple of months and got burned out on them.  Since then I paced myself more and am currently about half way through the ninth book.  

I'm not a huge fan of how the books jump around chronologically and between characters but I really like the world that they take place in.