What books are you reading or have recently read?

Raak

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about 2/3 through the audio book version of Willful Child by Steven Erikson, the narrator absolutely nailed it and I'm constantly cracking up laughing at the shenanigans. Think captain-Kirk era star trek but the federation isn't so benevolent and the captain basically takes the ship and his crew on a joy ride. Hilarity ensues. 10/10.

Not really a book as the thread is about, but I've been reading Vampire: the Dark Ages (RPG) and some of supplements.

Although much is fiction, there are many factual concepts within which I really didn't know much about. It makes me aware how lacking my Dark Ages knowledge actually is.

• 1 month later...

finished "The Aeronaut's Windlass"… great book with a steampunkish - fantasy mix.  I am really looking forward to the continuation of the series.  

Starting "Ancillary Justice"… about ¼ way in so far - (reading and listening)… so far it's very good - I am really liking it.

-d

• Like 1

While watching the (Scifi) show, my wife and I are listening to the audio books for "The Expanse" series by S A Corey (we're well into the second book).   The show mixes events from across the series into it's first season, so it's interesting to compare and contrast.

The first book in the series is called Leviathan Wakes.  

The book series(which I've already completed once) is excellent, and really worth the read/listen.  

• Like 2

I started readying Leviathan Wakes… but stopped because I saw the show was coming out (best scifi on… currently IMO).  I have been listening to most books lately… so I can work on hobby stuff (paint…assemble .. etc)  My last 3 books have been Audio.  But I had already started Ancillary Justice on my kindle … before I started listening to it.

-d

• Like 1

I started readying Leviathan Wakes… but stopped because I saw the show was coming out (best scifi on… currently IMO).  I have been listening to most books lately… so I can work on hobby stuff (paint…assemble .. etc)  My last 3 books have been Audio.  But I had already started Ancillary Justice on my kindle … before I started listening to it.

-d

Glad to hear it! I can hobby all day and listen to audio books.    

There is this thing that happens in the first book...  The show feels like it is building to it.  I really liked the punch that is delivered so well in the book.  I'm torn on what to advise...

Reading the books first has not ruined the show so far.

I didn't want to be reading the book as the show was on ... Watching the first 4 online a month ago ... I'll probably listen to the books after the first season is over.

Sometimes if I know the story / I slip when watching the show with my wife - and she gets irritated (with my misplaced soiler lol). So trying to avoid that lol.

Glad it will be a cool read - I'm looking forward to listening to them this summer.

• Like 1

The Peripheral, William Gibson: It's Gibson. If you liked his previous trilogy, you'll probably like this one, too. Very slow build, but worth it once it finally gets to the point where the action picks up and you have some idea of what the heck is going on.

House of Leaves, Mark Z. Danielewski. Hemingway, Bukowski, and a Classics Professor attempt to collaborate on a Lovecraftian horror story. They don't mesh anywhere near as well as might be desired.

• Like 1

While watching the (Scifi) show, my wife and I are listening to the audio books for "The Expanse" series by S A Corey (we're well into the second book).   The show mixes events from across the series into it's first season, so it's interesting to compare and contrast.

The first book in the series is called Leviathan Wakes.  

The book series(which I've already completed once) is excellent, and really worth the read/listen.

The Expanse show has been great, but the books are so very, very worth it. It's the best science fiction I've read in at least a decade.

• Like 2

The Peripheral, William Gibson: It's Gibson. If you liked his previous trilogy, you'll probably like this one, too. Very slow build, but worth it once it finally gets to the point where the action picks up and you have some idea of what the heck is going on.

Wacky I just read this last month.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Shadowed Sun, by N.K. Jemisin. Easily as good as The Killing Moon, possibly better. Jemisin has a really cool world here, and she's a great writer, and I really hope she gets around to doing more with this setting.

Chimera, by Mira Grant. Grant wraps up her Parasitology trilogy with her usual skill and style. Even more than a great Epidemic Thriller, this was one of the best stories in ages about what Family really means, and the power of both genetic ties and those of choice.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the comic series The Boys by Garth Ennis yesterday.

Fun read. 72 issues, full arc so it actually has an ending. It's dark are violent for the sheer spectacle of it but that doesn't take too much away from it. Nice concept. Most superheroes are corporate sponsored, spoiled rotten frat boys with serious mental issues. The titular Boys are a 5 man, CIA funded watchdog group designed to monitor and control superheroes, by any means necessary. 7/10 would recommend to someone who's OK with gore for gore's sake and understands that all women aren't horrible. It's a bit of a shame really. The story and concept are really fun, the characters have depth and the world is a great look at what superpowers would look like in reality. The only draw is everything is turned up to eleven for the sake of being edgy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Meat by Michael Bray. Free in iBooks. Man was that a great short story. Vampires at there finest. Second vampire book I actually enjoyed. I tend to hate vampires as antagonists.

Just a simple psychological horror story of entrapment.

Characters are good, though one issue I had the was count. It is never stated. This gives away nothing. The constant theme of how fear is handled was bit redundant but a solid 4/5

I forgot to post here, but I've been reading a bunch of the Horus Heresy books. Turns out my library can get them. Been going through them kind of at random, as they come in. Flight of the Eisenstein was really good, Prospero burns was good up until the last section, where it kind of fell apart. Fulgrim and Mechanicum were pretty much 'meh'. Horus Rising is good so far, we'll have to see if Abnett can stick the landing this time.

• Like 1