What books are you reading or have recently read?

Raak

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Deep Black Sea.

Cool science but [big bad swear word]ty character and character relations makes it 3/5. It had campy sex scenes everywhere. Sequel seems like it moves away from that but I just don't want to read another trailer trash book.

On a reading binge, and really looking for good science horror or creature horror books. Definitely enjoy a good at sea book. But not much for aliens or supernatural.

On a reading binge, and really looking for good science horror or creature horror books. Definitely enjoy a good at sea book. But not much for aliens or supernatural.

Check out Mira Grant. Feed or Parasite, those are the start of her two trilogies. The first is a look at what the world might be like 20 years after the zombie apocalypse, the second starts out like a  zombie apocalypse thing and then gets creepier. Both have about as solid a scientific grounding as you can get for that sort of thing, and the Newsflesh ones actually have bibliographies with the research in the back.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Thanks I enjoyed feed, but not enough to want to read more of hers.

I am kind burnt out on zombies, having read at least 50 books from the genre. Day by day 1 + 2. Probably being my fav.

• Like 1

Fight Club

I feel about this like I feel about Ender's Game, if I would have read it in High School, I would have enjoyed it a lot more.  There are a few aspects that I enjoyed more than the movie, but overall, I really feel the book sucked.  I honestly feel like I had to force myself to read it, because I did!  It took me nearly 6 months to get through it.  If I enjoy a novel, I'll get through it in a matter of days, and this was no novel, no reason I shouldn't have been able to read it in less than a weeks time, were it not for having to force myself to finish it, mostly to say "yeah, I read it.  It sucked."  

• Like 2

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Never could finish it. It was even harder to follow the flow.

Enders game still remains to be one of my favorite books. Probably second best book.

Malcolm x autobiography to this day remains to be my favorite book. Having gone through 6 copies and read it a doesn't times

Never could finish it. It was even harder to follow the flow.

Enders game still remains to be one of my favorite books. Probably second best book.

Malcolm x autobiography to this day remains to be my favorite book. Having gone through 6 copies and read it a doesn't times

Ender's Game is my all time favorite.

I just need to stop and read the prequels :/

I've lost so much passion to read...

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Ender's Game is my all time favorite.

I just need to stop and read the prequels :/

I've lost so much passion to read...

They are ok. I think Enders game is great and all his other books are medicore. Also he is a terrible human being so that does taint it for me.

• Like 4

They are ok. I think Enders game is great and all his other books are medicore. Also he is a terrible human being so that does taint it for me.

I will generally agree with this with one caveat.  If you have not read "Lost Boys", give it a look.  It's a psychological horror book that really impressed me for being "in the old school" and not relying on the modern jump-scare.  I'll admit, however, that this may be because it hit really close to home for me.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

If I understand correctly, you're saying because he doesn't think like you, you have great disgust for him.

Sounds like circular reasoning

Yeah um no. A person who thinks all gay men are pediphiles is not a good person especially when they write public commentary arguing such.

There is no link to homosexuality and pediphiles.

That is why I think he is a disgusting person. Much like Rush Limbaugh.

• Like 3

ROC reasons. 

Awesome! Thanks so much for keeping politically charged discussions in the RoC. Restraint like what you've showed here really helps make Ordo a more inclusive and welcoming comm...

Yeah um no. A person who thinks all gay men are pediphiles is not a good person especially when they write public commentary arguing such.

There is no link to homosexuality and pediphiles.

That is why I think he is a disgusting person. Much like Rush Limbaugh.

:mellow:

• Like 1

Horus Rising actually held together pretty well. Probably at least in part because Abnett didn't have to give it a solid conclusion. Wrap-up like that is often an issue in his books, but since this was basically a prelude, it was unnecessary here.

Ended up getting two in a row somehow, so I'm on to False Gods now. Good so far.

Also, in both of them, Abaddon keeps kind of reminding me of Drax from the GotG movie. I can totally see him doing the "Nothing goes over my head. I am too quick. I will catch it." bit.

• 1 month later...

A friend lent me three books.  Extraordinary popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, The Broom of the System, and The Court of the Air.  Not being familiar with any of them, I shuffled them and grabbed one at random to begin.  

The Court of the Air it was.  I'm about half way through, currently.  Some of it feels lazy.  Other aspects, I'm really interested in knowing more about the society or the designs or what have you.  Peculiar dilemma, to be sure.  I am enjoying it, though.   

• 2 months later...

Starship Eternal - M.R. Forbes

This is a solid military/sci-fi actioner that rolls like a Saturday afternoon matinee. It's not too shallow, not too deep and if you're looking for something that's great for killing time in small chunks, this is your book.

There are several more books in the War Eternal series so if you like this one, more of the same awaits you.

Reading Team Yankee by Harold Coyle.  This is the novel that inspired the back story for the table top game and a number of the scenarios in the rule book.  

Enjoying it so far.  I was introduced to "The Third World War" by Sir John Hackett when I was a kid.  Team Yankee's author was inspired by sections of that book.  

• 1 month later...

Finished with the Gaunt's Ghosts book "Only In Death."  Love this series, fun reads.  Looking forward to the end string of books.

Almost done with "Reflections on the Art of Living - A Joseph Campbell Companion."  Basically excerpts from his lectures and past writings.  Not bad thus far, enjoyable perspectives.