Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

• 2 weeks later...

Jessica Jones, Season 2: I'd call it overall a side-grade from Season 1. There's no one with the same kind of intensity between them and Jess as Kilgrave had, but having the characters all so much more established let them get a lot deeper into everyone.

It gets depressing as hell by the end. Which, now I think of it, isn't exactly a surprise from a Marvel Netflix series. Still well done, but depressing.

• 4 weeks later...

Altered Carbon. 4/5.

I liked it, but I'm a sucker for vampire flicks. Took me about a third through to realize this was a sci-fi skinned vampire flick, but it is and I enjoyed it. 

13 hours ago, dalmer said:

I have never met Pretre and have only seen a photo on these forums.  But full disclosure:  I pretend that the character Gilfoyle is him.

Chappy is the Punisher and Fluger is Master Roshi, in my mind.

The Tick (New one on amazon). 5/5

Was released as 6 episodes, which I reviewed, before, but then they released an extra 6 episodes for the same season, so I guess I rated prematurely. So season 1 is 12 episodes, each about 24 minutes long. Amazon, the a-holes that they are becoming, seem to be unwilling to sell it on DVD, and streaming can be only obtained via their amazon prime. I have amazon prime, but though technical reason I can't access it, so I had to find "semi-legal" streams via google (who is definitely my conspirator in all this, if not the criminal mastermind).

Anyway, show is a solid 5/5 for Tick fans. They did a good job, and show is good enough to be on regular television.

On 9/13/2017 at 6:37 PM, paxmiles said:

The Tick (2017) 

Pilot episiode's been on Amazon Prime for a bit now, but they recently released another 5 episodes. I buy series on amazon prime, but I don't have a membership. This one, they released only for those with membership. Mistake, if you ask me. With a simple google search, I found free streams of the episodes within 12 hours of them being released on amazon prime. I'll still be buying the series, when they let me.

Anyway, If you watched the Tick before or read the comic books, this one is great. They keep the humor, while having a plot with continuity between episodes. 5/5 if you like the tick. Probably closer to 3/5 if you haven't been exposed already. If you didn't like it before, you won't like this either. 

I really hope this one continues.

My old review.

Highschool DxD 

26B / 38 DD

Main character looks like Yugi and Tristan had a love child. Heavy western mythology, and heavy breasts make up the majority of this Shonen anime. 

Regardless of teen boys being the target demographic, there are some fun arcs, modern animation without relying on a crap ton of freeze frames, making for a interesting blend of Gear Anime (summon weapons/tools) and christian myth in this bubblegum show.

Available in edited and unedited versions.  

Star Trek Discovery (season 1) 4/5.

It was decent, and I expect I will watch it many more times. Definitely better than Enterprise. That said, only better than Enterprise.

I didn't like the acting. Too many characters seem type cast, like Schwarzenegger films, each actor always behaves a certain way and the plot is written to keep putting that actor in the same situation over and over. It becomes repetitive over a series, but remains enjoyable in isolation to each episode.

Entire series has an odd anti-religion theme, which is odd only because series doesn't seem to use as much science as past Star Trek. Almost a magic-based Star Trek, where plot resolutions don't even try to explain themselves, they just do it. The show looks nice and the costumes are great, but it definitely is following the rule of cool (like 300, where if it's cool, they'll tie it into the plot somehow).

The sad thing is the lack of inventiveness to the show. They are recycling old ideas. Even the theme song is near identical to that of Game of Thrones. Some recycled ideas do look good, but they aren't enough. The show needs a borg-like encounter (as borg were to STNG), one that is both inventive and explainable. It can't be borg, has to be something new.

That said, I enjoyed it enough where I will watch it again, and hope for future seasons.

Lost In Space

3 out of 5 Robinsons Rescued

I jumped in my Jupiter expecting to be disappointed.  Not due to some emotional connection with the source material, aside from a fondness for Swiss Family Robinson that I'm sure most of us share.  Rather, I was expecting something of the quality of the late 90s Lost in Space and Galaxy Quest. 

I was happily mistaken. Although I wasn't drawn to any characters, I did dispise several.  It is a bit of Games of Thrones in space, at times, for better or worse, but at the end of the final episode, I didn't feel cheated. In fact, I'm already giving it a second run throuh with my friend. It's fun seeing various foreshadowing for Ender, I mean Will.

The robot. I'm glad they changed the robot. That did a lot for keeping me in it.  I like it's design, overall.  Only complaint would be how they handle it's fingers. Multiple digits with a five finger operator.  

Other major complaint would be sloppy cuts, transitions, and framing. 

Beyond those minor complaints for what is at the end of the day "b rate campy sci fi," I really enjoyed this remake.

• 4 weeks later...

Jessica Jones 2: I tried to watch it, but couldn't get far. She's just such an emotional wreck and the story's premise is so bad. And the story seems like her only angle is being a physically strong female. And she never does anything smart with it, just blunders around while keeping herself emotionally distraught. And there's lots of other super heroes like this, but her story just isn't fun to watch. Super heroes should inspire and awe, and she does neither. I don't know if this is a disconnect between the comics and the TV show, but I hope it is, because this show is bad.

And as a past metal worker, it always bugs me that they do special effects to make her bend metal, but the metal never heats up while she bends it (if you haven't tried, quickly bending steel will make it very hot). This peeve isn't unique to her show. Most do it, but it doesn't help her show to have unrealistic special effects.

Class

It's a Doctor Who spin off targeted at teenagers. That said, it's a bizarre show. Really gory at times, several sex scenes (between minors, all the characters are supposed to be in high school), and all the characters are emotional messes that constantly swing their moods. Definitely doesn't seem kid appropriate, but also not really adult appropriate either due to the sexualizing of minors. Kinda feels like the target audience is pedophiles....Yeah, bizarre. I think what happened is they tried to make a live action anime, but don't seem to understand how them being cartoons creates the slim moral line between a watchable show and something very iffy. Kinda like Game of Thrones if all the characters were supposed to be 14.

I started watching because it's Doctor who. I've watched 5 episodes nows. It's been almost good a few times, but they always lose it. Seems like it isn't edited very well, because it can have moments of greatness, and then weird or failing scenes. 2/5 seems about right. I've watched 5 of 8 episodes of season 1. I'm done.

Red Dwarf Season 11

For starters, did anyone notice that they start making seasons for this one again? Love this show. Season 11 is a good 4/5. I mean, the humor is the same, so if you didn't like it before, nothing's really changed. Actors look much older and more out of shape, this season, but thing is, doesn't matter in the slightest to the plot of the show.

There's a season 12 out, but I haven't finished it.

Drawn Together Season 1-3

I like this show. Show aged well. It was never brilliant, but they picked satire targets that are still current. 4/5, maybe 3/5.

Not for kids or people that have trouble where they visualize anything described to them. It's a crude show. Very funny.

Season 4-7 of Game of Thrones

4/5

Binge watching 4 seasons in a short period may have been a mistake. I enjoyed the character development and the expansion of the setting, but the excessive nudity and violence for the sake of nudity and violence kinda gets boring after a while. Author's choices of protagonists to disappoint or maim become predicable after a while. Dunno, I basically enjoyed it, just watching too many episodes in a row proved to be a mistake.

I had started this one before when season 1-3 was new, but this was my first time seeing 4-7.

• 2 weeks later...

The Magicians (Season 3)

5/5

Like the other seasons, but less focus on sex and more focus on a good plot. I really enjoyed one. Season ended with a minor cliffhanger after substantial resolution to previous plots. Very happy with the results.

It'll probably get canceled: good seasons like this get good shows canceled. Especially when they air on "SyFy" like this one does. Sad, but true. Farscape was one such victim.