Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

25 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

Iron Fist - cancelled by Netflix - honestly, after seeing Danny Rand shoot the Iron Fist power through guns, I'm not all that disappointed. 

For that, and many other reasons. That show had problems. Maybe we'll get a better version another time, but I'm glad to hear that particular Iron Fist show is done.

• 2 weeks later...

Castlevania Season 2: Even better than Season 1. With all the introductory stuff out of the way, Ellis was really able to dig in and have some fun with this chunk. We've now hit the end of his originally planned arc, so I'm kind of curious to see what he comes up with for Season 3, which Armitage said was going to happen.

Luther (complete series)

A BBC crime drama starring Idris Elba, as the titular DCI John Luther, a police officer working for London's Serious Crime Unit, meaning he tends to deal with some seriously warped psychos. The heinous nature of the crimes he investigates, combined with his willingness to go outside the law to get the job done, and the corrupt cops and organized crime figures he must, out of reluctant necessity make deals with, fuels the character drama with the serial killer investigations often falling into B-Plot territory.

“There’s a difference between getting your hands dirty and being dirty.” as one supporting character tries to explain.

Excellent show, but definitely not for everyone.

• Like 1

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Part 1: "Parts" are apparently going to be the "Seasons" for this one. Basically a "darker and edgier" version of the Sabrina the Teenage Witch concept, going with all the horror story witch tropes and making it clear that, yeah, we're talking literal deals with the devil and such. More than previous incarnations of the character, what it really reminded me of was Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but because this is Netflix, not turn of the century network television, things get darker than Buffy did, pretty much right from the start. But it has a lot of the same themes of trying to live simultaneously in the supernatural and mundane worlds. If you liked Buffy, and don't mind going darker, you'll probably like this.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WestRider said:

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Part 1: "Parts" are apparently going to be the "Seasons" for this one. Basically a "darker and edgier" version of the Sabrina the Teenage Witch concept, going with all the horror story witch tropes and making it clear that, yeah, we're talking literal deals with the devil and such. More than previous incarnations of the character, what it really reminded me of was Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but because this is Netflix, not turn of the century network television, things get darker than Buffy did, pretty much right from the start. But it has a lot of the same themes of trying to live simultaneously in the supernatural and mundane worlds. If you liked Buffy, and don't mind going darker, you'll probably like this.

Any relation to the old TV show, or the comics? Or are they just implying a relationship to the others via the name?

I'm doubting that the name Sabrina, nor the concept of shows about witches, are really copyrightable.

Tripping the Rift (Season 1-2, Amazon Prime)

3/5

Defintely dated humor, but still made me smile and laugh in places. There were several jokes where I don't think a younger person would understand why the reference was funny. I also feel that the episodes have poor transitions between scenes, which doesn't really matter, but was surprisingly annoying despite being entirely petty.  

For originality of American shows, this one is unique. It's like a half way point between the entire harem Anime genre and Futurama - just doesn't really exist in american TV shows. There's stuff kinda like it, but it really is it's own thing.

I will note that the wiki, IMdb, and amazon review all describe this as X-rated, but it really doesn't have any actual nudity. They make a lot of sex jokes and imply sex without showing it (not unlike harem anime), but there's nothing to see (Cleavage, I suppose). Not really kids humor, but there also really isn't any graphic violence in this one, so it should probably be rated as nicer than south park - and south park is just R content, so I think the X-rated is misleading. 

There's a 3rd season made, and a video, but I haven't seen either yet. 

3 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Any relation to the old TV show, or the comics? Or are they just implying a relationship to the others via the name?

I'm doubting that the name Sabrina, nor the concept of shows about witches, are really copyrightable.

My wife actually knows the lore on this one...  The original characters spinning out of the Archie comics were all light and fluffy.  There was a graphic novel reimagining in 2014 that was really dark (matching what was here) printed by Archie Horror (a specific imprint of the Archie Comics brand) and the CW picked up that version of the Archie-verse to make their series "Riverdale".  That universe is the basis for the Netflix Sabrina character.

So yes, same characters, same IP reimagined in the same way that Moore reimagined The Dark Knight.

• Like 1

Chillin weedventures of Sabi 7/10 js burnt

What little I've read of the comics (CAoS), it's true to form, even if taking liberties for a "new" story medium. I had scoffed when i first saw it pop up, being completely unimpressed with Riverdale, and figuring it would be a cross between Once Upon a Time and Buffy.

Now, truth be told, I don't care for the Buffy tv show. Once Upon a Time, I hate loving, but mostly watch cuz Belle is hot and Robert Carlyle is the sheit.  So, not high expectations for the show at all.

A neighbor was agreeing with me about Riverdale, but said CAOS was legit, so I checked it out.  You can feel the sea legs of first season.  Some of it is absolute camp trash. Zelda and Hilda are true to character, and remind me a lot of the Sandmans Cain and Able characters.  We thought Salem's voice actor from Sabrina Explains it All was the principle, but it turned out to be JT's friend on Step by Step.

The show may be too Church of Satan for some viewers, but it comes off Metalocalypse "please don't park in the neighbors driveway, thank you. Hail Satan" rather than something of darker implications.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Metalocalypse "please don't park in the neighbors driveway, thank you. Hail Satan" rather than something of darker implications.

Said in a whiny, pathetic voice, while reading the boring daily announcements for their church. I love that show.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (the reviews above got me to renew my netflix subscription. Worth it.)

5/5

I liked it. Very much. Really dark humor, but nothing shown, just described or implied. That said, entirely surprised it was rated so low. 20 years ago this would have not been allowed on public TV, but today it's rated TV-14 (meaning it's for kids).

I will note that I expect this show to create a surge in negative stereotypes regarding wiccans, females, and witches. There are no good aligned characters in this show. The best character, Sabrina, it's about her fall. Most of the characters in the show are some degree of evil alignment. It definitely glorifies bad behavior. Not a show for people trying to develop a sense of good morality.

I am planning to get some excerpts from this show put on T-shirts - there's some really funny moments in this one.

Daredevil Season 3 (Netflix)

3 of 5.

So, let me start by saying that this one would be 4/5 if it was a direct sequel to season 1. It's very in line with season 1's content and they really did a very good job. Unfortunately, season 2 was amazing and it far outshadows this season. So this season is disappointing, despite being well done. 

The Frankenstein Chronicles (2 seasons, Netflix)

3/5

Painting models while kinda watching, I thought it was a good show. Show is very calm and consistent between episodes. Not much swearing, no surprises, very limited action scenes. No overly offensive characters, either. Setting is a bit dark and depressing, but with models paint, it didn't get to me at all. Protagonist's actor is very much type-cast, and retains the same role throughout the entire series (a lost soul with a troubling past), which I think he does well.

Main actor is the guy from lord of the rings that gives into the one ring's pull. Starts with a B. 

17 minutes ago, Ish said:

Sean Bean?

Wasn't at the PC, yeah, Boromir. And according to the internet, you are correct, his actor's name is Sean Bean. Couldn't remember how to spell Boromir and I sure didn't know the actor's name, so thanks for that.

16 hours ago, Ish said:

As someone who’s been an obsessive Tolkien fan since kindergarten (my mom read me to sleep with Fellowship) and someone who’s been an obsessive fan of Sean Bean since I first saw Sharpe’s Rifles...  this post makes me very sad.

I just don't retain names very well. Nothing against tolkien. As for remembering actors, honestly seems like a compliment if I remember the character, rather than the actor, as it means they succeeded at becoming their character.

But... He’s Sean Bean! The man’s the greatest memetic badass in British film. He’s like Chuck Norris with a Yorkshire Accent, only instead of karate he specializes in the not giving a crap school of combat.

Anyway, to turn this back to film and television, every war gamer and role player should make a point of watching the Sharpe series of made for tv films. Commando-style, behind-enemy-lines actions by a band of badass snipers during (and after) the Napoleonic Wars. There is nothing but goodness in here for gamers.

MV5BNTlkMDQ4OWUtOGViMS00OTc4LTk2MTktNGJj

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ish said:

But... He’s Sean Bean! The man’s the greatest memetic badass in British film. He’s like Chuck Norris with a Yorkshire Accent, only instead of karate he specializes in the not giving a crap school of combat.

Anyway, to turn this back to film and television, every war gamer and role player should make a point of watching the Sharpe series of made for tv films. Commando-style, behind-enemy-lines actions by a band of badass snipers during (and after) the Napoleonic Wars. There is nothing but goodness in here for gamers.

MV5BNTlkMDQ4OWUtOGViMS00OTc4LTk2MTktNGJj

That does look neat. Never heard of that film until you mentioned it, but I do like the pose. Reminds me of David Bowie (whom I know about mainly because he was in Venture Brothers, or rather, his character was)

• 2 weeks later...

Apollo Gauntlet (Adult Swim)

5/5

Basically a he-man knock off/satire. I enjoyed it. Unfortunately, it's really short. Both the episodes are a short 10 minutes each, and the entire series only has 6 episodes (might be 7).

Entire thing can be freely streamed on the Adult Swim website.