Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

I think you're missing the point. The comics are supposed to be derivative; that's the point.

Powers is kind of a meta statement on super heroes in general.

So then you agree, it isn't very original. Just because it's supposed to be a bad show, doesn't mean that it is unfair to say it's a bad show.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

So then you agree, it isn't very original. Just because it's supposed to be a bad show, doesn't mean that it is unfair to say it's a bad show.

It is a critic of the genre! Critics are openly not original.

Wow, talk about timing! I just finished Vikings Season 3 as well, like Raindog, and also finished another one of my guilty pleasures, too, so I'll toss out my thoughts on both.

Vikings: Season 3

For a 'regular' cable show (The History Channel, no less) this show is pretty dark and gritty. I do love many of the characters, and I love how the show does have bits and pieces tied to actual history. The acting is pretty solid, the environments and music very fitting and believable. And I am not  afraid to admit I probably give the series an extra .5 rating simply for the eye-candy that is Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick). :)

The third season was a little more predictable to me than the first two, but still very good, and I look forward to next January/February for season 4!

8.5/10

Black Sails: Season 2

Black Sails is another guilty pleasure of mine, and I absolutely love it. Like 'Vikings', it has some elements rooted in history, but also like Vikings, a lot of liberties have been taken. It's a sort of 'prequel' to "Treasure Island",  I've become very attached to certain characters, and like Vikings, people die who you otherwise might not think would. If you like Pirate 'stuff', I definitely recommend it, and it's really interesting to watch their take on various famous pirates like John Silver, Calico Jack Rackham, Anne Bonny, and my favorite, Charles Vane. Next season, Blackbeard is introduced, played by none other than Ray Stevenson. Being on Starz, they have a bit more freedom (like Game of Thrones) to go heavily on the violence/sex angle, and the music/environment are again top-notch. The final episode of season 2 was pretty epic, in my book, and like Vikings, I eagerly await January/February to get going again!

8.9/10

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished seasons 1 and 2 or Arrow, getting ready to start on number 3. 8/10. Not really knowing the GA back story, it moved along nicely, gave a little action, suspense and drama with still being fairly kid friendly if need be. My biggest grief was seeing the child that was cast for Barry Allan and is now the Flash, NO NO NO NO!!! Manu Bennett as Slade Wislon/Deathstroke, was a bit odd, but at the end, he pulled it off well.

• 2 weeks later...

Game of Thrones Season 5:   7/10

To me, this was one of the weakest seasons yet. It was still great fun, of course, and there were many memorable moments. But sadly, many of those 'memorable moments' were made irrelevant in the very next episode. It got to the point that in the finale, some of the things the writers decided to do made me scratch my head. I don't want to list any spoilers, so I'll just leave it at that for now.

But, they also started toying with the current 'place' in time that Martin's books are located, and starting next season, we'll largely be going into uncharted waters, so I look forward to the next season very much.

• Like 2

Babylon 5 season 1. 4/5 or 5/5. I enjoyed it, which was surprising because I distinctly recall not enjoying it in the past. I may have been misremembering it.

Anyway, show is good so far. I started season 2 and was disappointed to learn that the main protagonist isn't returning. Very disappointing. Seems like they traded their older protagonist for a younger model.

Still, I'm enjoying it.

Babylon 5 season 1. 4/5 or 5/5. I enjoyed it, which was surprising because I distinctly recall not enjoying it in the past. I may have been misremembering it.

Anyway, show is good so far. I started season 2 and was disappointed to learn that the main protagonist isn't returning. Very disappointing. Seems like they traded their older protagonist for a younger model.

Still, I'm enjoying it.

Bab5! One of my all-time faves.

Gotta say - I much preferred Sheridan over Sinclair, though. A lot of people didn't. But I was happified to see Bruce come onboard. Sinclair just always seemed so wooden-cardboard to me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Season 2 of Babylon 5 finished a week or two ago, just remember to post it. I watched 33 hours of TV in about 48 hours (season 1 and 2). That included 3 "nights" of sleep. I was a wreck afterwards.

I'm not allowed to watch anymore Babylon 5, at least for a while.

Was really surprised to recognize Allota Fagina from Austin Powers as one of the Aliens in the series. I don't tend to recognize actors enough to remember their other roles - though she uses the same phases from Austin Powers as in her limited role in one of the Babylon 5 episodes.

Rewatched "Claymore." It's a good anime.

Sorta unique in the anime genre, as it's one of those ones with lots chicks with oversized weapons, but it really isn't sexual (which is very rare for anime).

Oh, a while back, but I forgot to post it. Finally finished "Dragon Ball Z" (crazy number of episodes).

Plot wise, I really love this show. The characters are good and the setting is right. That said, this one really drags it's feet, to the point where I've stopped and restarted this show several times. Just lots of episodes were very little accomplished in the plot, due to multiple flashbacks and "what happened last time" narration.

On a side note, they just started, "Dragon Ball Super," which is an actual sequel series.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel like a genius....Figured out that the PS4 movie player has understandable sound at 1.5x play speed.

Just watched the entirety of Dragonball (first series) at 1.5x speed. Much better show. I own it and love it already, yes, but at 1.5x speed, those many times where the plot drags its feet just breeze by.

:biggrin: