Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

Homeland was great… up until this last season … which I really feel like was subpar.  To the point of which both my wife and I are not interested in it anymore.  I really feel like the show has "jumped the shark" ideologically.  @ thumbs way way up for the first 2 seasons…after that MEH.  It really felt like they were grasping for something good - and ran out of ideas.  

True Detectives - AWESOME so far… really great writing… and chemistry.

House of Cards (netflix) - so far the other season was pretty good.  This new one we are only a few shows in - and I am ok with it… but I will hold out the final verdict until we finish.

Justified… awesome fun … this season has been interesting but still waiting for it to really go somewhere hehe.

-d

Just got caught up on Lost Girl, which just finished Season 4. Good lord what a train wreck. I'm having trouble describing it without using obscenities. The writers are either as lost as the title character or they're deliberately trolling their own show. We're talking Angel Season 4 bad.

Hmmm....Talked to a few people that stopped watching because it had too much slutty sex. Season 4 is less sex and more plot. I liked the arcing plot of season 4, how each episode flowed, but I agree, the season was very disappointing in the end.

I do think it's very possible that the writers didn't expect the show to last as long as it did...

-Pax

4 seasons on Sy Fy is a pretty epic run for that channel

To be fair, the show started On Canada's showcase, then got moved to the US two seasons into it.

In general, I think that show would be really hard to write for. Just because the plot and setting are very vague. I mean, you've got magic in the modern setting, plus super-powers, plus drama and romance, and meanwhile your trying to keep some form of "logic" to the setting. This would all be fine if each was a stand alone episode, but the arcing plot really makes it harder. You've got a show where each episode has no real boundaries in their directions, no clear goal and no clear reason to get there - this would be really hard to write for.

For comparison, X-men, the comic, starts with a simple question, "what if some humans mutated to have amazing powers?" That's the goal, more or less, with the comic. Boundaries start with a modern setting that is routinely modified via the the original question. Main characters are clear group of vigilantes fighting the good fight to keep balance between humans and the mutated humans. Their enemies are those that oppose this idea, either because they only support one of the two, or because they support neither.

With lost girl, she's a person with a hidden backstory that finds herself thrown into a world where the backstory is slowly presented and she seeks a clear understanding of it. The overall plot is that she is a lost girl, seeking her place, but that's really really too vague. Each episode centers around here taking steps to find her place, to secure it, and then to find that she still doesn't know her place. Not much to go on. This leaves much more effort on the writers of each episode to better focus the direction of the series.

-Pax

SyFy is just doing re-runs. ShowCase is actually producing it, and it could continue even if SyFy drops it.

I don't have a problem with the fact that S4 was more plot-intensive, I have a problem with the fact that the plot was incoherent, contradictory, and frustrating. Also, there was way too much of Rainer and Massimo, and not nearly enough of Tamsin and Vex.

I think part of it is also that the writers suck at writing PI stories, so the nominal foundation of the show is really shaky. Another reason I tend to compare it to Angel :P

I don't have a problem with the fact that S4 was more plot-intensive, I have a problem with the fact that the plot was incoherent, contradictory, and frustrating. Also, there was way too much of Rainer and Massimo, and not nearly enough of Tamsin and Vex.

I think part of it is also that the writers suck at writing PI stories, so the nominal foundation of the show is really shaky. Another reason I tend to compare it to Angel :P

Agree mostly. I followed the plot fine, but I also thought they dwell too much on the newer characters instead of the older, better developed characters.

In terms of shaky roots, the entire setting is ridiculous. We have basically a pair of anarchies, the light and dark, which are somehow organized enough to be opposed, but little more. The PI agency seems like an afterthought.

Have you seen Moonlight or Blood Ties? Both of those do the PI much better, though they are more vampire than fey in theme. Both were also pre-maturely canceled...Awesome shows.

-Pax

Been watching Dragon Ball Z. Having already watched much of Dragonbal Kai, but not this one, much of the overall plot is review, but the little extras are more enjoyable. Good casual watching with lots of episodes - perfect for someone like me that tends to watch entire seasons in a few days.

For rating, I'd probably go 8/10 in terms of quality for the time it was released and as a sequel show, but keep in mind that watching it out of order kills that rating, as does any watching from someone that isn't already a DB fan from the first series.

-Pax

Almost Human just wrapped its first season. Not great, and it got a bit rough at times, but there's definitely potential there, and, on the balance, I enjoyed it. Here's hoping they get a second season and can settle in for some longer story arcs.

I thought the way they created their arch villain was a bit clunky, but I enjoyed it anyway, I haven't watched the last episodes though.  I do enjoy the show, I hope it makes it for another season.

Yeah, they're definitely going to have to kick up their game in season 2, but I hope they get the chance to, because they've got the potential for something really good here if they can just hit the groove. The finale was probably my favorite of the recent episodes, lots of good Dorian/Kennex banter and some of the cooler futurism they've done.

Been watching DBZ some more. I'm on episode 133. I think they drag their boss battles a bit too long. The content is pretty good, though the cast really is too large for what happens. In example, the villain does something surprising and you get 5 reaction shots when only 1 or 2 would be needed for the story. It's also annoying that DBZ uses even less martial arts and more "energy blasts" than dragon ball did. Since, I'm complaining, I might be burnt out and need to stop for now. Long series to watch in rapid order.

-Pax

strange… I am not sure why people didn't like the ending  - I will have to look into that.  For me it was perfectly real.  I  liked the shortness - non typical networked MILKING of the topic.  The pacing was great - writing excellent and the acting as you say - "awesome".  To me this is exactly how I like my shows… let me get to know the characters…show some growth… tell the story and be done.  Milking the story or situation annoys me.  I dislike most normal network TV for this very reason… it becomes something about keeping ratings or viewers… rather than the story or characters at all.  I find the typical network show sickening - and I can nearly stand sitcoms as well.  Currently, I find watching animations like "Adventure Time" more rewarding than anything on a typical network prime time show lol.

-d

SPOILER about True Detective

AHHhh … well it I liked that as well… that life wasn't TOTALLY one way - and even he saw a glimmer of light lol

It gets back to my point - its a character centric and driven show - its not about the work… its about the men and the story together.  Which makes it awesome lol.

-d

Regarding True Detective:

I believe the whole show was about Rust finding redemption for his daughter's death. Perhaps it's better to say, he needed to find new meaning in life. The entire show was about that arc. Watch the first episode again, they find the body on his daughter's birthday. When Nic Pizzolatto was quoted as saying "everything you need to know" is in the first episode, I think he was slyly referring to this. 

Marty's story was about a "family man" messing up his family (and specifically, daughters) with his philandering ego. Juxtapose that with Rust living with years and years of regret in the vacuum of his daughter's death. Rust beats himself up over an imagined life, while Marty is a living demonstration that life, and family, isn't always pretty. 

The crimes were about kids being killed. They gave Rust a way to find a purpose by stopping a killer, unlike his inability to stop his daughter being killed. 

Add all that up, and the ending is perfect. 

Anyway, that's my two cents. 

• Like 2

Just finished True Detective and it was very impressive. I have not felt so compelled to watch a TV program like this in quite some time. I was a little suprised when I found out it was only eight episodes but I think it ended up being perfect. I always appreciate a finite story over the ones that run on and on. It was powerful, interesting, and downright creepy.  

• Like 2