Attempting to assemble n' paint Chaos for OFCC

So I decided I would attempt to make an army for the AoS section of the OFCC. I also want some feedback cause I am not sure about some of the things I painted and assembled. First up is some WIP chaos warriors they will be mark of nurgle but I wanted to try and get the "mark" across with just the base. Not really sure if it worked though.

IMG_20170414_123613176.jpg

• Like 2

I think I might go a bit more sludgy, a bit less radioactive glow, on the pools on the bases, but I think they get the point across. Pretty sure if I were looking at your list and your Army, I would pick those guys out as the Nurgle Warriors.

The Lord/Harbinger seems to me like his steed is a bit too heavily armoured. Not sure how much of that stuff is integral, but from the front, it gives more of a Khornate vibe. Pulling off a few of the armour plates and maybe one or both of the "tusks" would probably help it look more Nurgle. The rider and the side view are great.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, WestRider said:

I think I might go a bit more sludgy, a bit less radioactive glow, on the pools on the bases, but I think they get the point across. Pretty sure if I were looking at your list and your Army, I would pick those guys out as the Nurgle Warriors.

The Lord/Harbinger seems to me like his steed is a bit too heavily armoured. Not sure how much of that stuff is integral, but from the front, it gives more of a Khornate vibe. Pulling off a few of the armour plates and maybe one or both of the "tusks" would probably help it look more Nurgle. The rider and the side view are great.

Unfortunately the steed is a gorebeast from the chariot kit and his armor is basically his front torso. I was thinking about maybe some nurgling it up some.

Should be pretty easy to Nurgle up those burly armor plates on the beast.

Have a Dremmel? If so, ball head and lots of little dimples. If not, pin holes with a small drill bit can easily be made less uniform with a hobby knife.

Put white glue in the holes, wait till half dry and put super glue on the semi-congealed white glue. Super glue will pull the moisture out and give a really great texture to represent rotten flesh underneath the rusted and pitted armor.

Oh, one tusk snapped off halfway would break the symmetry. Probably on the scythe side.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WestRider said:

The BlightKings really are great Models. I need to dig out and finish the set that I have half-done. Not going to be able to get them looking as cool as yours, tho.

Why not? Its nothing but drybrushing, washes and wetblending. and calling it wetblending is a stretch. Its more like glazing.

3 hours ago, Spaceork said:

Why not? Its nothing but drybrushing, washes and wetblending. and calling it wetblending is a stretch. Its more like glazing.

I've never managed to get the hang of glazing or wetblending. Even my best colour transitions are far rougher than what you've got here. Plus, my hands are kind of shaky, lifelong issue, never have figured it out. I do decent work, and I can do it fast, but I can't do better than "decent", no matter how much time I put into it.

54 minutes ago, WestRider said:

I've never managed to get the hang of glazing or wetblending. Even my best colour transitions are far rougher than what you've got here. Plus, my hands are kind of shaky, lifelong issue, never have figured it out. I do decent work, and I can do it fast, but I can't do better than "decent", no matter how much time I put into it.

I know how you feel. I don't have the most steady of hands but I've found if I touch the ends of my pinkie fingers together, while hold my arms close to my chest it really cuts down on any movement.

The glazing just takes time. Tbo, I just watched a YouTube video a couple of days ago to learn how to do it. The blends on the purple-flesh took about an hour.

3 hours ago, Spaceork said:

The glazing just takes time. Tbo, I just watched a YouTube video a couple of days ago to learn how to do it. The blends on the purple-flesh took about an hour.

One of the other issues I have is that I just can't absorb information well from videos, and there are fewer and fewer tutorials these days that aren't video. When all's said and done, I'm satisfied with the quality of my painting, and my backlog of stuff I want to work is big enough that I don't want to compromise my speed.

1 hour ago, Threejacks said:

Im getting so friggen lazy...Base coat,wash then a bit of dry highlight and im done:laugh:

This is pretty much exactly what I have been doing since I started painting. I think it gets the job done and the models looks pretty good on the tabletop. I don't have unlimited hours to paint and hobby. As long as when you are done with your model and you personally feel satisfied with the results that's all that counts.

That being said I love admiring models that are painted to an amazing level or even a better or equivalent level to mine.

• Like 2

Oh yea! Decided to put the models on the table before I finished. Got a couple games in, the army performed well. But the greatest moment was Sayl casting his spell on a five man unit of nurgle knights, giving them fly and 18' move and then them flying across the table, attacking a LoC, putting 8 hits (+3/+4 -1 2wounds each on the charge), then the LoC failing all 8 saves.

• Like 2

I guess I should also post the list I'm trying to bring.

Plaguetouched Warband/Battalion -140

28x Chaos Warriors, MoN - 540

10x Chaos Marauders, MoN - 60

10x Chaos Marauders, MoN- 60

10x Chaos Marauders, MoN - 60

5x Blightkings - 180

5x Blightkings - 180

Harbinger of Decay, General, Talisman of Protection - 140

Sorcerer Lord on mount, MoN , Crown of Command- 120

Non-battalion units

Be'Lalkor - 240

Sayl - 160

Summoning pool -120

10x Plaguebearers - 100

Sideboard- 500

3x Stormfiends - 300

Warplighting cannon - 180

I'm thinking of dropping one unit of blightkings and a bringing a 10 man unit of Marauders to 28 guys. Which would make room to add a unit of dogs to my summoning pool I guess.

The reason for 28 guys it the battalion needs units divisible by 7. If they are, every time a enemy model rolls a 6 to hit that unit they take a mortal wound.

So ultimately the game plan is to buff up the Chaos Warriors (2w, 3+/5++, reroll 1's for saves/hit/wound, 5+/5++ against mortal wounds, -2 to hit for first round of combat, -1 all the time) and have them sit in the middle of the board and multi charge and generally not die. While that happens the rest of the army denies the board to movement from the enemy and claims objectives. Be'Lakor trolls and tanks, also applies wounds to anything that needs rend. Sayl launches the warriors 18' up the table then gives other unit mobility to fill any gaps in the line. Generally, the army is meant to just grind the opponent down. I haven't got much testing in, but the little I have is against  Tzeetch skyfire list and it went very well.

• Like 1

Update! Got my 30 chaos marauders, but I'm starting to hate painting flesh tones. So as a result I had to move onto something else. I wanted a giant/gargant even though they seem kinda weak. But I didn't want the unarmored, silly giant that gw makes, even though it is a fantastic kit. Luckily I found an awesome alternative from my flgs today, made by Wizards of the Coast. PtrvBp.jpgrA4LfH.jpg

Super easy model to put together and paint. Zero flash except some around the foot, no mold lines and made out of some sort of resin. From box opening to what's pictured only took about 3 hours. Obviously needs some highlighting n' such but it is a great "giant chaos warrior" for some casual games.

• Like 2

You ever just look at what you have left to paint and think "This is never getting finished..."YxuIzF.jpg

On a more positive note got to play against a proxied kunnin ruk/40 arrow boys/ ogre huskard list. Went well, got first turn as my list is 3 drops. Sayl cast flying on the fully buffed warriors squad, warrior performed "the flying T" 18 inches up, the rest of the army spread out either to grab objectives or give buffs to the warriors trailing at the end of the T. Warriors charged everything they could across a 20 inch front, which included arrow boys, grots and two huskards. Killed 12 arrow boys, unit of grots and put some wounds on huskards.

On the following turns it went as expected, Marauders scored points, Warriors didn't die, I got shot. He killed a bunch of Marauders, unit of summoned plague bearers and be'lakor. I killed a unit of grots, but I put so many wounds on his arrow boys and huskards they were largely ineffective. Chaos wins!

• Like 2

Worked on my counts-as Sayl, the faithless. I looked for any kind of background that would tell me what chaos god he follows but I can't find anything. He's from the nurgle book from forgeworld but every time I've seen him he's blue and tzeentch-ish. So I've gone with a tzeentch colors. He missing his staff but I'm working on sculpting up a "familiar" wrapped around his staff so it'll be a minute before he get it. Also he supposed to be blind so I went with white eyes and a pose that not really looking at anything.

A6JJsk.jpg

12A40b.jpg

And him next to my finished giant for scale...

EHjlsF.jpg

• Like 1