A Grassy Wastes Table Build

To go along with my Chaos Warriors, I'm building a matching table.  I picked up an Arctic FATMAT and have started building terrain to match.  In addition to the usual slate rock chips and such I've added element from Secret Weapon bases to give the pieces and ruined temple vibe.

Here's my concept piece:

arcticwastes01.JPG

I'm not too happy with it.  I had originally put patches of baking soda snow on along with the frost, but it really looked like crap.  Rather than scrap the piece I flocked over the patches and added more snow.  It's better but not what I want overall.  

Here's the second piece:

arcticwastes02.JPG

Foundation work is done. I hotglued down the large slate chips and the bases, painted on wood glue and added the smaller chips and the sand. After letting it cure overnight a painted watered down glue over those same parts to seal it all in. I'll paint it up next, getting the priming, airbrushing and drybrushing done before adding the flocking.

• Like 8

I got paint on.  Primed black with some simple flat black spray paint, I airbrushed white (very thinly) to give broad highlights, then spot shot green on specific areas like the ruins and broad flat areas to add some interest.  I then airbrushed some brown in the shadows.  I over saturated colors a bit as I'll lose quite some when I apply the snow.  I'll drybrush next then apply a wash.

arcticwastes03.JPG

arcticwastes04.JPG

• Like 8

Well, I absolutely ruined the piece.  So I junked it and started over.  I put more time into the new one before adding snow:

arcticwastes05.JPG

This has more color variation.

Here's the WIP while snow is being added.  I'm using baking soda as the base, laying down matt varish with an airbrush as adhesive.  While this method gives me tons of control, it's messy in the house.  I'll try using canned varnish outside, masking off areas as I see fit.  I'm adding layers of baking soda to get some depth.  

arcticwastes06.JPG

I have a different product for the figure bases, but I't really too finicky for terrain.  It'll prolly take 2-3 layers of enamel matte finish to seal the piece.  On the next one I'll add a bit of glow to the temple stone for dramatic effect.  I just don't want to junk another build.  

• Like 8

• 7 months later...

Finally, a freaking update. I'm backing off the Chaos theme for now and going more generic.  As such I built a big hill.  It's split so it can be a bit more flexible, plus each half can fit in a 12 gallon tote.

Rough foam form on beveled MDF

arcticwastes07.JPG

Chipped slate fit into place with foam cutouts

arcticwastes08.JPG

arcticwastes09.JPG

arcticwastes10.JPG

Foam shaping done with a wire wheel, sanding block and orbital sander

arcticwastes11.JPG

arcticwastes12.JPG

Detail on the split. I tried to get the smooth slate edges to line up. I'll fill them later.

arcticwastes13.JPG

arcticwastes14.JPG

• Like 11

• 2 months later...

You did a fine cut of some of the slate chips when you put them on your hill...  What did you use for that cut (since it was so clean and sharp-edged where slate doesn't normally like that)?  (Normally I just fracture, not worrying about clean edges but a clean cut like that would also allow placement on a table edge easily.)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

lion el johnson taught me the baking soda + elmers glue trick. Makes nice fluffy snow. The issue though is that it yellows over time. However, I didn't seal the models afterwards, so maybe that would stop the yellowing? Perhaps there is some other glue that will stay white over time.

Modge Podge, or mixing white paint in with the snow slurry

• Like 2

• scottshoemaker changed the title to A Grassy Wastes Table Build
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...