5 things you learned so far 40k 8th

Multiple units in one vehicle is incredibly useful and can totally mitigate the impact of the cost of vehicles.

Venoms get BOTH a -1 for enemies to hit them AND a 5+ invul save.  Super sweet.

Power From Pain works after you take Mortal Wounds.

Dark Eldar flyers lost their alpha strike ability to drop four missiles on you all at one glorious go.  =(.  Now you just "have missiles" and choose one every round.

Clawed Fiends do 2 damage with their bare fists.

"Wounds on 4+" stuff no longer wounds on anything better, even when your strength justifies it.  =(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Dark Eldar flyers lost their alpha strike ability to drop four missiles on you all at one glorious go.  =(.  Now you just "have missiles" and choose one every round.

The new Void Mine is muuuch better though. Roll D6 for every model in the unit (max 10D6), and inflict mortal wound on 3+ is extremely powerful. Concealed, flicker-jumping warp spiders in cover? Normally -2 to shoot with 2+ save. Or just kill 2/3rds of them in one go.

I learned that a re-roll allows you to re-roll some or all of your dice. So Power from Pain giving the re-roll to charges is just like old fleet of foot charges. :yourock:

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Munkie said:

The new Void Mine is muuuch better though. Roll D6 for every model in the unit (max 10D6), and inflict mortal wound on 3+ is extremely powerful. Concealed, flicker-jumping warp spiders in cover? Normally -2 to shoot with 2+ save. Or just kill 2/3rds of them in one go.

I learned that a re-roll allows you to re-roll some or all of your dice. So Power from Pain giving the re-roll to charges is just like old fleet of foot charges. :yourock:

Trust me, the Voidmine has done WORK.  I just miss my super shock and awe attack when it would show up.

Word

I learned that dark lances are really good again. Not quite as good as lascannons, but more abundant. And my dudes can actually shoot straight.

I learned that stupid shadow fields are still garbage, but at least they're free.

I learned that remembering to spend command points to re-roll 2++ saves is a lot better than taking an overwatch meltagun to the face. 

I also learned that Sslyth are handy to absorb overwatch meltaguns to the face.

• Like 1

Heldrakes can advance, move 31 to 36 inches and still fire their baleflamer (which isn't nearly as powerful as it once was).

Heldrakes can be charged by anything. They don't have the restriction to only be charged by flyers.

Large units of poxwalkers with Typhus as backup are really good. Large units of Plaguebearers are less so, but still great.

The Great Unclean One appears to be one of the least resilient greater daemons. Same toughness and fewer wounds than a Bloodthirster or Lord of Change.

Large units make great tar pits (with the ability to use command to pass morale), but taking MSU also seems like a good way to mitigate morale.

Close combat appears no more or less descisive than shooting. 

• Like 4

Now that I've played... Jim stated good lessons but...

Waaagh banner Nob amazing! Need more. 

Msu ork Nob units work need practice. 

Battle wagons do more than just transport now; equip to make use of this. 

Too many characters is just complicated and makes too many units to track. 

Being in a transport super limiting remember to get out and just cuz your fast don't rush...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JMGraham said:

The shadow field rules specifically states that it cannot be re-rolled for any reason.

Oh. In that case they're just garbage. I think I'm done taking Archons once OFCC is over. 

Their aura is by far and away the worst of the HQs, and Shadowfields are barely worth the 0 points you pay for them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JMGraham said:

Heldrakes can advance, move 31 to 36 inches and still fire their baleflamer (which isn't nearly as powerful as it once was).

Heldrakes can be charged by anything. They don't have the restriction to only be charged by flyers.

Large units of poxwalkers with Typhus as backup are really good. Large units of Plaguebearers are less so, but still great.

The Great Unclean One appears to be one of the least resilient greater daemons. Same toughness and fewer wounds than a Bloodthirster or Lord of Change.

Large units make great tar pits (with the ability to use command to pass morale), but taking MSU also seems like a good way to mitigate morale.

Close combat appears no more or less descisive than shooting. 

You know, I think we will see a plastic variant of the GUO and then it will have better rules. They are still operating on that little pile of goo. Just wait. Your time will come.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JMGraham said:

I agree that it doesn't make sense that Papa Nurgle only has 12 wounds as opposed to 16 like the Bloodthirster / LoC. He does around 100 points less than either though, plus Disgusting Resilience means he can shrug off some of the wounds that the other guys can't... although the 'Thirster has the 3+ armor and the LoC has the 4++, so maybe that's a wash.

46 minutes ago, Ish said:

So they are... I stand corrected. Still not sure how Custodes are supposed to be fielded. 

A bunch of Auxiliary Detachments? ;)

More seriously, I'd probably convert up a DeathWatch Watch Master to Count As a Custodes Captain, since he gets the Guardian Spear as well.

1 hour ago, Andrewgeddon said:

I agree that it doesn't make sense that Papa Nurgle only has 12 wounds as opposed to 16 like the Bloodthirster / LoC. He does around 100 points less than either though, plus Disgusting Resilience means he can shrug off some of the wounds that the other guys can't... although the 'Thirster has the 3+ armor and the LoC has the 4++, so maybe that's a wash.

It makes sense once you stop to think that 8th still uses TLoS and the GUO and KoS are both old, smaller sculpts. I'm sure they'll get a rules revamp if/when they are resculpted.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VonVilkee said:

Oh man! That would have doubled their survivability but I would have had the command point to survive that morale for the truck boyz... I used a command point to reroll the number of wounds on a klaw to kill one. 

Ooh! I'm glad things went the way they did, then. ;) taking down the truck boys in one round was key in letting me finish off those meganobz the next turn.

18 minutes ago, JMGraham said:

Ooh! I'm glad things went the way they did, then. ;) taking down the truck boys in one round was key in letting me finish off those meganobz the next turn.

That's what I was thinking the loss of heavy armor 4+ save for them totally changes how I should use the deck hands... second liners who use a burst of speed to slip around screens maybe as the nobs batter at the screens. I'm thinking those boyz should have tried avoiding the plague bearers and attacked the grinder... all the possibilities I'm loving the basic list concept now to tweak!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WestRider said:

More seriously, I'd probably convert up a DeathWatch Watch Master to Count As a Custodes Captain, since he gets the Guardian Spear as well.

I was thinking making a suitable impressive conversion of a Custodes Shield-Captain and just having him "count as" a Space Marine Captain in Terminator Armor, with a Relic Blade and Storm Shield. 

Asteron Moloc, Chapter Master of the Minotaurs, might be fun too.

• Like 1

The BIG thing for me recently when I was hashing out my first SW list was that you now have to pay for the gear that your units come equipped with. This is a big change for me from 7th, since back then you just paid the points for the model and their wargear was "free" even though their points were probably based around the weapons they came equipped with. Now, for example, you look at a Dreadnought which stands at 70pts base and think that's a steal since the 7th Ed. Dreads came in at 95 pts. base. However, you now have to pay for the basic wargear (assault cannon, close combat weapon, and the storm bolter attatched to the CC arm) for a whopping increase to just about 133 pts. Holy crap does this mess with my list building and will take some getting used to. Makes Flyers incredibly expensive, especially if they come with a lot of weapons. Boosts a Stormwolf from a really cheap 165pts. to a whopping 279pts.  

I went through my index and added a points column to all of my unit and weapon profiles to help with list building, since there is no consistency to what things cost.

For instance a Dark Lance is 20, whereas the void lance (strength 9 dark lance) is 0. It's 0 because it's only available on the void raven bomber, so that model's cost includes the weapons, but that's very uncommon. It's also bad future proofing, because now they can't release another model that can take a void lance or another heavy weapon like a 30 point disintegrater cannon. They could, but it would be impossible to cost it correctly given the structure they've laid out for themselves. 

Either set it up where you pay for the stock wargear or include it in the model's price, but don't do a mix of both within the same army. Silly. 

• Like 1

Played vs Pumpkinhead last night.  1k Nids vs IG.  

1.  Ogryns are good, but broodlords MULCH multipoint units.

2.  Lascannons are great at doing damage to multipoint models.

3.  Venomthropes and Zoanthropes seem great.

4.  Genestealers are scary.

5.  Hanaur is right, the inability to finish off units is a thing.  Figuring out when to fall back and when not to is going to be key.

• Like 1