Post Apocalypse Koyote

Koyote

Novitiate Biess (left) is the warband's quartermaster and mess cook.  His specialty is mystery meat pie.  One of the pie’s mysteries is how can it hang from the novitiate's back without its crust breaking open and its contents spilling out?  

Brother Bellator (right), nicknamed 'Bean Pole Bellator,' has a skeletal frame and a voracious appetite.  No matter how much he eats, he cannot gain weight.  

The Biess and Bellator have an arrangement.  Novitiate Biess sneaks Brother Bellator extra rations and when the bullets start flying, Brother Bellator watches the diminutive novitiate’s back.

L1TRnj.jpg

8QOXwn.jpg

• Like 3

Brother Fumos is a terrible shot.  In fact, he's probably the worst shot in the entire warband.  None of this concerns the near-sighted Fumos, because when one is lobbing grenades at the enemy, a near miss is as good as direct hit and if grenade lands well away from the intended target, there is always the chance that the explosion will find other victims.

7xWx4R.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Depend-o-Bot IG172/2 (IG-88 for short) was a victim of the Pre-Fall Americans' wasteful consumer culture.  On his way out the door to purchase Apple's newest iBot, IG-88's owner had ordered the Depend-o-Bot to walk to the curb, crawl into a dumpster and deactivate itself.  Compelled by its programming to obey, it did just that.  It remained in a sea of mankind's refuse for a century or more, until it was exhumed by scavengers and sold to a Preservers' enclave.

Among the Depend-O-Bot's first post-Fall memory was crushing a Horowitzian Savant's skull with its massive metal fist.  Prior to reactivating the robot, the Preservers' had replaced its right arm with an integral assault rifle and lovingly restored its entire exterior to near mint condition.  The Savant's hundreds of hours of labor mattered little to IG-88.  Whatever code that had made it subservient to humans and incapable of doing them harm, had been corrupted or inadvertently deleted during the Preservers’ ham-handed attempts to reactivate their newest prize.   Free from these restraints, IG-88’s self-preservation directive would not permit it to ever again become the disposable property of another entity.  So when the Savant had given the newly activated Depend-o-Bot the command to 'stand', it took IG-88 a fraction of a second to analyze the vocal and tonal qualities of the Savant's command and reason that the human believed that IG-88 was its property.  The Preserver enclave never had a chance  

IDzjSE.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On a whim I decided to give Brother Bellator an improbable pair of wings.  The wings come from an old GW harpy mini.  The harpy's body is long gone, but the wings have been flapping around in one of my bits boxes for over a decade now.  

Brother Bellator (Mutant with wings mutation)

EElpFv.jpg

Bellator will likely be the last mutant cultist that I'll need to paint.  I just put primer on a converted TNT Gas Mask Girl model.  I'm painting her so that my mutants will have the option to hire a (mutant) Bounty Hunter freelancer.  Once she's done I'll be moving on to another project.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TNT's Gas Mask Girl was a pleasure to paint.  Like the illustration on page 71 of the rulebook, I gave this model red irises.  This will let her pass as a mutant and not be entirely out of place alongside my mutant cultists. I will probably use her as Bounty Hunter freelancer, but she could also serve as Gunsmith or a Wasteland Hunter.

Near the tail end of our campaign I got into a discussion about the general usefulness (or the lack thereof), of the different pieces of Equipment Types.  When gas masks came up, I noted that we hadn't found much use for them in our campaign because nobody used any of the gas weapons.  

Later, this got me thinking.  Sleep and tear gas grenades don't appear to be that effective, but I have to admit that I haven't tried them for myself, so in our next campaign Gas Mask Girl will be loaded for bear with both.  And just in case one of her grenades deviates back onto her, she'll also be equipped, of course, with a gas mask.

To emphasize my plans for her, I equipped the model with grenades and replaced the bag-o-guns on the model's back with a backpack and rebreather bit that I bought from Victoria Miniatures.  The single strap that crosses her chest isn't enough to hold the backpack on, so I used GS to add some straps.  

d7iUCB.jpg

MbPrtH.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chavez (Veteran Scout Freelancer)

dbfd2E.jpg

DlKnol.jpg

It's that time of year again, so I need to get to work on my SAGA projects for Adepticon 2018.  

If, between now and the end of March my gaming group starts another TNT campaign or if I find that I need to take a break from Britons and Romans, I may add a few more post-apoc minis to my collection.  Otherwise, it will likely be Spring before my paintbrush and I return to the ruins of post apocalypse Seattle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With all the modeling and painting that I need to do to prepare for the Adepticon SAGA tournaments in March, I know that I shouldn't even be thinking about another painting project, but I just can't help myself.  Inspired by Lead Adventure Miniatures' The Last Project miniature line and my own (short) experience as a commercial fisherman, I would very much like to make make a warband of post-apoc fishermen who supply the settlements in and around post apocalypse Seattle with fresh, albeit mildly radioactive, seafood.  

Vb4Ssv.png

mQiFlH.png

Keeping with the theme, I'd probably make them a Caravanners warband.

Instead of a Trade Master, my leader would be a Captain and the Caravanner Lieutenant would be the First Mate. Ahab would be too obvious of a choice for a captain, so I'd probably go with Captain Hemingway.  Of course, he'll need one of those classic Aran fisherman sweaters.

The Local Emissary elite choice opens up all kinds of possibilities for using fun minis. As a nod to Lovecraft, I could use a Deep One hybrid model as a Mutant Emissary.  I could find a suitably awesome south pacific islander miniature, name him Queequeg, and use the mini as a Tribal Representative.  I don't know what model I'd use for a Warden. I suppose I could find a cop mini wearing glasses and armed with a rifle, and call him Martin Brody. 'Smile, you son of a b****!'

Caravanner Trackers are grizzled veterans and guides, so of course I'd have to name my Tracker, Quint.  He'd need a cap, large sideburns, and a mustache.  Of course, he'd need a machete. 'Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain.'

Do you think this fella is supposed to be a nod to The Old Man and the Sea?

cezs46.png

• Thanks 1

This evil b@stard goes by the name Pig Iron.  A mercenary gunsmith by trade and a killer by nature, he's a man of few words and even fewer interests.  In fact, aside from Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain, Pig Iron's only other passions are his salvaged minigun, Lullaby, and watching Lullaby turn his enemies into unrecognizable gobbets.  Only the most desperate or deranged warbands would consider hiring this maniac.

Pig Iron (Mercenary Gunsmith)

btWoNQ.jpg

dmVGgF.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An old, GW Sisters Repentia model was my first candidate for a Dead(wo)man model, but I decided that even after removing the eviscerator and the small reliquary on her hip, she doesn't fit the image of a TNT Tribal, so I changed course.  Instead of a serving as an outcast Tribal freelancer, the model's hood and bizarre attire makes her a good candidate for my mutant cultist warband. Armed with a hand weapon and pistol, her focus will me melee.  I think I'll put her in charge of the miscreants, Brothers Ick and Ack.

I removed the eviscerator, reliquary, the chains on her left arm, and a weird flat section of her tabard and then used GS to repair and rebuild.  The bat was made by Mad Robot Miniatures and the pistol holster comes from Victoria Miniatures.

BBEHs8.png

cGgYPq.png

• Thanks 1

Here's my WIP Wandering Mutant conversion.  I decided against the interchangeable weapons.  The model's wrists are too small.  

The model's right arm, which you can't see in the photo, came from a Warlord Game plastic Celt sprue.  I removed the weapon, carved the top of the upper arm to shape, attached it with glue, and filled in the gaps with GS.  

The rifle's stock didn't fit between the right arm and body, so I cut it down and then once the arm and gun was glued in place, I rebuilt the stock with GS.

The model's third hand was malformed during the casting process.  The two fingers were just tiny little nubs, so I used some GS to rebuild them.  

I'm not a fan of the model's original feet, so I made them a bit bigger and added a fourth toe.

There are three big spiders crawling on the model, so I added a fourth spider to the base.  This little fella came from a bit belonging to the GW Arachnarok kit.  

IViKOG.jpg

• Like 1

Here's my WIP Dead (Wo)man freelancer.  I think that I'll call her Magda.  

I used GS to cover up the model's weird toes with wrappings, cover her bare breasts with a shirt, add backpack straps, and to patch up a few areas.  I replaced the swaddled baby on her back with a plastic bit from the GW plastic Kroot kit.   The holster was made by Victoria Miniatures and the pistol was made by Mad Robot Miniatures.

CcO7gR.jpg

mqAsxw.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I've assembled the models for my post-apoc Fisherman themed Settlers warband.  The first eight miniatures pictured below are part of my starting warband.  The rest are reinforcements that I'll add as my warband grows.

Captain Quint (Militant Leader), Chief Brody (Sheriff), Che (Mysterious Stranger -Haunted Gunfighter), & Queequeg (Militia Gunsmith)

MtNwL4.jpg

Quint, Brody, and Queequeg are Lead Adventure minis.  Che is from Pulp Figures' Americano Mercenarios pack.  Che's Lewis gun will eventually be an assault rifle with the large caliber upgrade.

O'Connel (Regular), Tashtego (Militaman), Stub (Militiaman), & Flask (Militiaman)

polDiqThj

O'Connel comes from Pulp Figure's Merchant Sailor with Rifle pack.  Tashtego is West Wind Miniature's Crow Dog Soldier set.   Both Stub and Flask are from Lead Adventure's Contaminated Seas model line.

Missionary, Citizen Medic, Militiaman, & Militiaman

07NOnF.jpg

These guys are my reinforcements. As such, I haven't named them yet.  The Missionary and the Militiaman with the oar are Lead Adventure minis.  The civilian medic comes from Black Cat Bases.  I added the backpack and GS backpack straps.  The militiaman with the rifle is another Merchant Sailor from Pulp Figures.

Bounty Hunter & Wandering Mutant

jZxNut.jpg

My starting list doesn't include any Freelancers, but as soon as I can afford them I'll recruit a Bounty Hunter and Wandering Mutant.  The Bounty Hunter is made by Copplestone Castings.  I removed his sawed off shotgun and replaced it with an assault rifle made by Crooked Dice Game Design Studio.  The Wandering Mutant comes from the Lobotomy boardgame.  He is also armed with a Crooked Dice assault rifle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

After the first two games of our TNT campaign, Captain Quint had enough experience points to purchase his first Warband Rank.  I selected Personal Pet, which lets me add a Nuisance level creature to my warband.  Pip is a feral mutant child (counts-as a Wild Mutant) adopted by Quint.  And while Pip isn't the captain's pet, he's loyal to a fault and rarely leaves Quint's side.

Captain Quint (Militant Leader) and Pip (Wild Mutant - pet)

VoUXAp.jpg

The model that I use to represent Pip is a Wyrd Miniatures' Outcast 'Stolen' mini.  The model has a rifle slung over its right shoulder.  The rifle is from a Reaper sprue and I used GS to make the rifle's strap. I gave Pip the creepy black eyes to indicate that he's a mutant.  

I don't recall where I got the fish. It's supposed to be a mutant Red Snapper, but I didn't add enough red to the orange, so instead it's a giant mutant gold fish.

I've finished converting my Missionary and Regular.  With both of its hands wrapped around a big book, arming the Lovecraft mini required a little extra creativity.  In keeping with my post-apoc maritime/Cthulhu theme, I added a severed tentacle to the Regular's base. The tentacle's suckers were malformed, so I repaired them with GS.

7UR7Hq.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Che (Mysterious Stranger -Haunted Gunfighter) and Chief Brody (Sheriff)

Vznfpb.jpg

1Yc615.jpg

Che is from the Americano Mercianorios pack made by Pulp Figures.  I used GS to add sideburns and extend his mustache so that he has a glorious trucker stashe.  His Lewis Gun is a counts-as assault rifle with the large caliber upgrade.

Chief Brody is from Lead Adventure's Contaminated Seas model line. 

• Thanks 1

I converted one of the Lead Adventure Contaminated Seas models to serve as a Milita Gunsmith armed with a grenade launcher.  The grenade launcher is one of my favorite weapons in the game.  Not only is it a blast weapon, but it's one of the few weapons in the game that can deviate, so it's possible for the shot to 'miss' but still result in a 'hit'.  Also, because you target a spot on the table rather than a model, you have a bit more flexibility when deciding where to place your shot.

Here's a photo of the model from LA's site.

8bUusT.png

The grenade launcher is a bit too large for the model, but I didn't have a better one in my bitz box, so I went with it

XFHUsL.jpg

• Thanks 1