Scotty paints Primaris Marines

So I've got some NuMarines.  I was originally planning on painting them Iron Hands so I could swap vehicles back and forth between my 30K force and this one, but black is boring.  I honestly would like to do something with some tonal quality.  I would really like to keep them very shooty, as my Orks and Space Wolves are in your face forces.  I've kicked around a few ideas:

Raptors- Shooty, cool Raven Guard rules, would paint them OD green/historical with a WWII style vibe.  May look boring on the table.

Imperial Fists- I'd go more of a military yellow than canary, nice bright army but lousy chapter rules.

Heresy era Death Guard- totally different, light grey/green with battle damage, just use Ultramarines rules, maybe a different chapter symbol?

Heresy Color Space Wolves- not blue/grey, but a warmer grey, use FW transfers and SW bits, think of them more of an adjuct to Great Wolf company. 

Another Badab War chapter- Fire angels or Minotaurs

Something else entirely...

Anybody got any ideas?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I figured I'd give the Griffons another shot.  My error was trying to both colors at the same time.  This time around, I'll do all the airbrushing work on the yellow first, then do the red by hand.

After a couple of false starts I primered them with German Red-Brown

howlinggriffons01.JPG

howlinggriffons02.JPG

howlinggriffons03.JPG

The a zenithal pre-highlight with white, leaving red-brown in the shadows

howlinggriffons04.JPG

howlinggriffons05.JPG

Various stages

howlinggriffons06.JPG

• Like 4

Next I went for the basecoat of Scrofulous Brown, keeping the shade intact.  I really like using this for basing yellows.

howlinggriffons07.JPGhowlinggriffons08.JPG

howlinggriffons09.JPG

Then I highlighted with Sun yellow, staying zentihal and only catching the topside.  This took two coats as it's a very translucent color. 

howlinggriffons10.JPG

howlinggriffons11.JPG

After all that was done I went back and reshaded with Scrof Brown

howlinggriffons12.JPG

That's it for the airbrushing.  The red is next by hand...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1