Possible Druze Goodness

Raindog

Really? An X-Visor on everything but the hackers and HMG? Also, personally, I think Fatality is a dumb skill. How is your magical skill able to make a bullet the same size as any other from that type of weapon hit any harder? A combi rifle is a combi rifle. There's no legit reason for it to do as much damage as a spitfire. It's confusing, it's dumb, and it's unnecessary. The second level can be explained by them being better marksman and having better shot placement (and if that's the case, it should be on select models that are BS 14 or higher... not some chump mercs with BS 12), but otherwise, it's just dumb. It seems to me like these guys are way too loaded for their price. Maybe I'm turning into a grognard-crankypants, but I'm not fond of either of the new skills that are coming with the Beyond sets. And after playing WarmaHordes, where mercs *are* a standalone faction, I hope they don't go that route. It detracts from the whole point of the thing. Mercenaries should be something you hire to supplement your existing forces. Yes, I know, the idea of a mercenary army contracted for a given task suits the black ops nature of Infinity, but it also just weakens the flavor. Yes, you want deniable assets, but you also want someone who isn't going to turn around and work for the guy you just screwed over when he hires them to go after you. I dunno, like I said, maybe I'm just getting grumpy about the new stuff, but like I said, I got burned on the idea of merc armies in WarmaHordes, and I really don't want to see CB go down that road.

• Haha 1

I think that CB needed new ideas for skills and this is where fatality came from.   I don't see anything wrong with the skill, even though level 2 is a little much, but I think they should have a put a different name and fluff behind the ability.  High caliber?  Impact?  Something that makes more sense?  Anyway, I don't think they are headed down the power-f*** route quite yet, but hopefully things will stay in check.   

That being said the new Druze look great.  They gain haris but lose core, which is a little disappointing, but the versatility of those load-outs will make them a serious contender with Sekban as a QK haris option.

P.S.  It's okay to be a Grognard-Crankypants, it's how we keep these things in check!

• Like 2

Regarding Fatality, maybe the +1 damage doesn't so much represent the weapon doing *more* damage but the user's ability to cause damage that would more likely result in death. Like, it's harder to save against a 14 than a 13 so there's a higher chance of dying, or taking a Wound. Basically what you're saying regarding L2, but I can kind of see it working as the reasoning for L1 as well. Though, as you suggested, you'd think that would mean a profile with Fatality would have a fairly high BS representing their skill.

It is interesting that there's basically a mini Merc sectorial list in the Outrage Missions pdf. People are speculating that maybe it's a test/teaser for the actual Merc sectorial.

I don't mind the idea of a separate Merc faction as there are some large mercenary companies detailed in the fluff. What I've never been a fan of are Mercs (or any troop types, really - looking at you, most REMs) that every faction can get. I think it dilutes the uniqueness of each faction and the shared troop type. I like that most Mercs in Infinity are limited to certain factions or sectorials with the reasoning usually supported by fluff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raindog said:

Can Grognard Cranky pants be a real person or nickname.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Rock said:

We both know you're going to call me that from now on anyway, so why are you even asking? :P

Wouldn't you actually have to wear pants in order to be referred to as 'cranky pants'?  

I'm just saying...

• Haha 2

So Grognard is not a word I have heard before Rick and Morty:

French[edit]

Etymology[edit]

From grogner (snarl, grunt, growl, grumble) +‎ -ard.

Noun[edit]

grognard m (plural grognards)

1. a grumbler; one who grumbles
  2. an old veteran soldier, specifically an old grenadier of the Imperial Guard (Grenadiers à pied de la Garde Impériale); an old complaining soldier

English[edit]

Etymology[edit]

From the French grognard (grumbler).

Noun[edit]

grognard (plural grognards)

1. An old soldier.
  2. (games, slang) Someone who enjoys playing older war-games or roleplaying games, or older versions of such games, when newer ones are available. quotations ▼
    James is such a grognard, he only plays the original edition of Dungeons and Dragons.

Yup. It's a cycle. Pretty much everyone who plays RPGs will have their grognard moment. The edition you were introduced to, or possibly the one right after, will be the gold standard by which all others are judged, and the new stuff is crap, and the kids these days just don't know what it's like to play a REAL game, and back in my day, we all had MEMORIZED how to calculate THAC0, and we were damn happy to have it! The very existence of 9th Age, as a wargame, is a testament to the strength of the grognard spirit. The problem, of course, is that grognards get left behind, and after a while, they have nobody to play with, because all of their buddies they played 2nd Edition 40k with aren't around anymore...

A humorous take on the concept:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/08/23

• Haha 1

Nah, a lot of people are speculating if these profiles will hit the actual game or if they are mainly for outrage scenarios.   It doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm also not following it that close.   I realize now that I am not answering anything but rather just adding more confusion.  Maybe I should step out...