Foam carry case suggestions

Dark Trainer

This post is to get army carry case suggestions at a reasonable cost. I have a Necron army and am looking at a better way to transport them to game night, events, etc. I won't be shipping them in a plane, so nothing hardcore needed. I've been looking at Sabol Motor pool (or armored company), and battlefoam's equivalent spear bag, etc. 

I'm looking for suggestions of what I might need. I'm thinking the 1" trays with pre cut foam would be fine for my 40-60 necron warriors/immortals, and a 4" tray on the bottom would allow me to bring some of my MANY necron vehicles. I'd like to be able to have a versatile bag that allows me to carry around 2500pts of stuff. I'm halfway tempted to get the larger ones just so i can store them longer term in there too. Any input would be appreciated. Essentially i'm looking for a reasonable way to carry models without breaking the bank.

• Like 1

Kr multi case is another option especially at the sizes you describe. I've found they are all about the same cost per model to store and move. I recommend battle foam personally at their big tray 15" by something. 1" is almost exactly what a 25 mm base is so if your models hang over the base in multiple directions go 1.5 inches thick to ensure foam supports foam and doesn't rest on models. I like custom trays over pluck foam you get more models per square inch so while the tray is more it holds more so overall storage and transport is cheaper... for characters consider tossing some iso things in to transport them around your vehicles standing up in the slot very versatile. 

I prefer battle foam too because they have a huge amount of custom trays. However, there is a bit of an issue with the owner so if that's something that sways your opinion then it may be important for you to know.

Otherwise, I love my battle foam trays. Even got some for my space hulk box which works perfectly.

So those are smaller trays and the preloads ate great to start but once you have them you will inevitably want to upgrade and go full custom. I recommend the pack system but understand budget... nothing is more irritating than being one model short of the army you are taking. The extra space afforded by pack size foam is amazing.

Sword,  shield, and spear bags are sized to competitors pretty sure battle foam will be competitively priced when side by side compared but make sure before pulling the trigger and check shipping costs could swing the budget either way. 

20 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

So those are smaller trays and the preloads ate great to start but once you have them you will inevitably want to upgrade and go full custom. I recommend the pack system but understand budget... nothing is more irritating than being one model short of the army you are taking. The extra space afforded by pack size foam is amazing.

Sword,  shield, and spear bags are sized to competitors pretty sure battle foam will be competitively priced when side by side compared but make sure before pulling the trigger and check shipping costs could swing the budget either way. 

I figure 3 cases would hold my WHOLE army if needed and much more affordable. Honestly, i've been using my modelling tacklebox to carry them around and tupperware. So figure general foam is enough since they come filled with foam already. The spear bag would likely be my main carry case for full army, maybe the shield one. 

Still can't convince myself to pull the trigger without seeing them in action. 

I saw the pack systems, holy cow very nice, but super spendy.

yeah I went storage and transport as sometimes my models were in the garage so the bigger foam let me organize better. Wish I was closer I have 3 of the options but 28mm up in bham. Battle foam uses the same foam for all their stuff so if you've seen pack then you've seen the interior foam and out is just down to the bag...

I have tens of trays stacked on shelves and few bags for different transport options. 

I got the best tip!

Walmart sells some soft coolers that fit the foam insert perfect, and have hard durable sides!!! They are on clearance right now for half off for end of summer!!!

$9: Compare to sabol motor pool (since it's single stack maybe smaller)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-36-Can-Cooler-with-Removable-Hardliner/20637067

$15: compare to sabol armored company (since it's single stack maybe smaller)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-42-Can-Cooler-with-Removable-Hardliner/20637057

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1