New Guard Codex

pretre

Posted 24/09/2017

Daemon Engines, a battlefield in a box and a new codex

WarCom-Preview-Stamp.jpg

A new codex, a battlefield in a box, and four new models for the Death Guard – there’s loads to look forward to with next week’s pre-orders!

Codex: Astra Militarum is the next codex in line for Warhammer 40,000, and it’s just as packed with new content as its predecessors.

PreviewSep14-AstraMilCodex1jfw-472x500.j

We’ve seen rules for Space Marine Chapters, Traitor Legions, forge worlds, and now there are rules for 8 regiments of the Astra Militarum. Which regiments, you ask? Cadia and Catachan will, of course, be included, as well as new rules for Armageddon, Tallarn, Valhalla, Vostroya, Mordian and the Militarum Tempestus. Each one of these factions will be getting its own regimental doctrine, order, stratagem, relic, and warlord trait – the codex is absolutely brimming with content, aimed at letting you customise your army to suit your style of play.

Similarly, the codex is set to diversify Astra Militarum lists with tweaks to rules and points aimed at putting each unit on an even footing. Conscripts, for example, have been changed to better reflect their inferior discipline compared to professional soldiers. It’s not just about rules, either – the new codex contains loads of new background and art, including a look at some of the more unusual regiments of the 41st Millennium and advice on how you might want to convert them.

PreviewSep14-Boxout1jeca-500x413.jpg
PreviewSep14-Boxout2lexcv-500x413.jpg
PreviewSep14-Boxout3krc-500x413.jpg

Of course, if you’re starting a new Astra Militarum army, you’ll need somewhere to play them, and Moon Base Klaisus is perfect. Building your own boards is a fun and rewarding experience, but it’s not always practical for gamers who are limited by space or just want to set their games up quickly – the new Moon Base Klaisus set gives you everything you’ll need to get gaming in minutes on a great looking 6’x4′ board. Made up of modular card tiles – designed to be interchangeable to vary your battlefields – and featuring push-fit ruins, Moon Base Klaisus is great for gamers looking for an easy way to make sure they’ve got a cool-looking place to play, wherever they are. The ruins themselves are designed to fit in with both the Sector Mechanicus and Sector Imperialis terrain, meaning if you do decide to build a more bespoke gaming board you’ll be off to a head start.

PreviewSep14-Moon3jdw-500x411.jpg

Don’t worry, enemies of the Imperium, we haven’t forgotten about you – next week will also see four new models for the Death Guard! As well as Scribbus Wretch the Tallyman and Nauseus Rotbone the Plague Surgeon, you’ll be able to get your hands on the devastating Plaguecburst Crawler tank and the multi-part Foetid Bloat-drone kit.

PreviewSep14-Tallyman4keda-459x500.jpg
PreviewSep14-PlagueSurg6kdw-459x500.jpg
PreviewSep14-Crawler7lfcs-500x401.jpg

As well as the plaguesprayers equipped by the Bloat-drone in Dark Imperium, the full kit contains some new weapons options – our favourite is the grisly flesh mower, which looks… well, exactly as you’d expect:

PreviewSep14-Drone2kddw-500x489.jpg

Curious about how these guys work on the tabletop? You can find out right now! Find them in the Death Guard codex, available in stores, online or for your device.

Make sure to come back next week, whether you’re looking for the new codex, the battlefield in a box or some new units for your Death Guard, to pre-order.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

The problem with Guard "chapter tactics" is they all have different models. I have 200 Cadians so I am kind of stuck with those traits. Its not like marines that you just paint a different color. Just hope the Cadians don't suck.

Regiments from all over the galaxy use Cadian pattern equipment and colour schemes. You can easily say that your regiment are from whatever planet and use that equipment and colour scheme, but their own tactical doctrines. Well, unless you also have "CADIA" painted all over them as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems kind of weird to me that Catachans have a rule that gives them great Tanks. If I'd been doing it, I probably would have added a stipulation that it only applies to Weapons that either hit automatically (e.g. Flamers), or that don't need LoS (e.g. Artillery that can be sited away from the dense terrain the Infantry specialize in). Heck, maybe just do that instead of having it apply specifically to Vehicles, so their Mortar crews and Flamer teams would benefit as well.

Well I mean, APC's were a major thing in Vietnam as was artillery.  So i can see the Vietnam Aesthetic applied to their artillery this way.  Artillery pieces got used a ton in Vietnam which seems like what the Catachans are kind of emulating.

I also think they want to sell more catachan models.

Nonetheless, this is going to please some people I talked to recently who are teetering on dumping their catachan models or NOT dumping them depending on how the codex goes.  I'd say they are likely to fall on the side of NOT dumping them now.

Key question:  Are they changing conscripts?  They probably need to.  We shall see.

1 hour ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Well I mean, APC's were a major thing in Vietnam as was artillery.  So i can see the Vietnam Aesthetic applied to their artillery this way.  Artillery pieces got used a ton in Vietnam which seems like what the Catachans are kind of emulating.

Nonetheless, this is going to please some people I talked to recently who are teetering on dumping their catachan models or NOT dumping them depending on how the codex goes.  I'd say they are likely to fall on the side of NOT dumping them now.

Key question:  Are they changing conscripts?  They probably need to.  We shall see.

They orignal post yesterday said they would be brought in line more with  the moral they should have

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, happycamper said:

They orignal post yesterday said they would be brought in line more with  the moral they should have

LD 2 makes sense.  i mean if they take any casualties, dont you think their buddies are goign to be like "hey man I'm only here so i dont get shot in the barracks.  "You can hide cowardice when you're in the field but you cant hide it in the barracks".

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

The bit that's more weird to me is that it works on MBTs, too, which have never been a major part of Catachan fluff. Artillery, Hellhounds, Chimera Heavy Flamers, those all make sense.

Changing the Ld of Conscripts is meaningless if Commissars still affect them the same way. I suspect they'll get something that affects their interaction with Orders and/or Commissars. Maybe back to needing a Ld Test for Orders, or a nearby Commissar just halves the losses from Morale instead of bringing them to 1. Something like that.

40 minutes ago, WestRider said:

The bit that's more weird to me is that it works on MBTs, too, which have never been a major part of Catachan fluff. Artillery, Hellhounds, Chimera Heavy Flamers, those all make sense.

It still only effects the number of random shots. Makes sense that they being the masters of cover would know where best to place the blasts for the best coverage seems legit to me. Under the new army building mixing and matching regiments will not be required which is nice!

20 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

It still only effects the number of random shots. Makes sense that they being the masters of cover would know where best to place the blasts for the best coverage seems legit to me. Under the new army building mixing and matching regiments will not be required which is nice!

Still seems odd that their Tank Crews are good at it, but their Infantry Mortar and Missile Launcher Teams aren't.

But yeah, I can see a lot of Catachan Spearheads in the future.