Raising money for terrain.

Limelizard

15 hours ago, Limelizard said:

I think mostly at the Portland Game Store.

You "think" it's mostly going to the Portland game store? Don't you know? Kinda sounds like it is your project. And why $800 for terrain? Do you have a specific set of purchases in mind, or is that just the number you decided was the most you'd reasonably be able to gather? 

If just looking for terrain, ask around. Terrain is mostly labor costs, since anything, just about, can become terrain. Glue, a bone saw, a knife, cans of black spray paint, and a couple of colors of paint for drybrushing - that's all you need for terrain. The actual objects can be all "found" or donated items. Storage can be cardbord boxes. Labor costs are actually creating the terrain. It's very time consuming and designs require a balance between appearance, effort required, and practicallity when used. Should peek at some of the terrain used at WOW.

Whether you meet your funding goals or not, I suggest asking around on the boards if people have extra bits for a terrain project you are working on. Freebies. Ask nicely and thank them for anything. Some people do have extra stuff just lying around. 

Additionally, my mom loves this site: https://www.freecycle.org/ Basically Craig's list, but everything is free. 

Generally, for tournament play, you need at minimum 6 pieces of terrain that provide cover per table. With the 8th edition ruleset cover for vehicles/non infantry models is rather hard to come by. Terrain has to be built up to provide 50% and the base needs to be large enough for a vehicle/non infantry model's base to entirely fit inside the terrain. To avoid table discussions, even buying terrain kits isn't enough, they should be based.

There are ways to minimize the monetary impact, but they all involve replacing money with time in labor. PGS is ideally situated to take advantage of the student population at PCC. Ordo Fanaticus has an extended terrain creation tool kit at the WOW clubhouse that is ideally suited to taking the least expensive materials and turning it into viable terrain. To connect the dots I would suggest having a conversation with the Consul/Pro-Consul/Fabricator General (Jeff/Eric/Bryan). If I remember the last meeting's minutes correctly I believe Bryan wants to schedule a terrain day sometime in the next 2 months.

At the very least the benefit would be suggestions on creating thematic terrain sets per table on a budget that provide cover. Unfortunately I do know that if this thread had been posted anytime before last Saturday you would have had a completely different response. I saved a terrain panorama that's about 5 feet long and 5 inches high that you are more than welcome to have, you will have to cut it up and put some labor into it to make it more packageable, but it's more than enough for the basis of one table.

Not here to rain on parades. Fully down with helping people who want to help others by running tournaments. Couple points I'll raise.

Blurb boils down to zero actual information. Pax raised some good points, specificity is important. 

Tourneys, awesome. Where? When? 

Terrain, awesome. What kind? 

Your flow chart right now looks like this:

1) Give me money

2) ?

3) ?

4) Tournament!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PourSpelur said:

Not here to rain on parades. Fully down with helping people who want to help others by running tournaments. Couple points I'll raise.

Blurb boils down to zero actual information. Pax raised some good points, specificity is important. 

Yeah, I'd consider giving money if I had a general idea where it was going. We don't need a mathmatical breakdown, but a decent breakdown of what the money pays for, how/when you will demonstrate the finished product/project, and why it is that you need our money for this (as opposed to purchasing it yourself). 

Those three could be as simple as: all funds go towards purchasing GW terrain kits at Y Store, the initial tournament showcasing this terrain will be on X Date at Y Store, and you feel that the cost of playing on awesome terrain at events should be a shared cost because it benefits the community rather than just an individual. 

Wow, so was looking at the gofundme site. 7.9% of the total donated is kept by the site. Then they charge an extra $0.30 per donation. So if this one earns the target $800 in one donation, only $736.50 is kept.

Hey Limelizard, if you get a more exact description (that I like) I'd definitely rather pay you in person. I see you at guardian games often enough.