Khorne Bloodbound

• 2 weeks later...

Updates. Got a 500-ish point list put together and mostly painted. Pictures ASAP. 

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (General, Command Trait: Immense Power, Daemonic Gift: A'rgath, the King of Blades) 260pts

Bloodletters (10) 110pts

Chaos Warriors (5, Hand Weapons, Mark of Khorne) 90pts

Total 460pts

Immense Power adds +1 damage to my General's melee attack. A'rgath, the King of Blades makes my General hit on 2s against enemy heroes. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got a game with Jay tomorrow. Model Selection is limited because I haven't been working on this army as much as I should...kinda annoyed with myself - I've got the models at home, just haven't put them together.

1k Khorne

Leader: Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage 260

Leader: Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut 140

Battleline: Bloodletters (10) 110

Battleline: Blood Warriors (10) 200

Total: 990pts

Don't think Jay has a Battletome, so I'm not planning to use artefacts or command traits. Bloodthirster will be the Warlord. Entire force is melee, which is perfect for khorne. No spellcasters, but some of the units are magic resistant. Some hard hitters in there, but I figure that since the entire army is melee, his force should have the tactical advantage, which is good for new players. Hope the list isn't too mean. 

Okay, so take aways from those two games with Jay:

Juggerlords were awesome. 3+ saves are great. I think I want to form the army around this model kit. 

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage. I've run him in both AoS and 40k, and in both, he really suffers from being a one-trick pony. He's like a wooden hammer - not as brittle as glass, but he doesn't hit as hard as you'd think he should and also degrades rapidly with repeated use. He's decent and he hits hard, but he runs into issues where he doesn't do nearly as much damage as his model or cost woudl suggest and then he becomes bogged down in melee and takes much more damage than he probably should. 

Bloodletters were decent. No real complaints. They were my cheapest unit and they did the least damage to the enemy, but they did contribute. I think I need a better battleline unit, but they were decent. Even a larger unit, like 20+, would likely resolve the issues I saw.

Blood Warriors were also decent. In their case, I think they were a bit underwhelming because the stormcast have such good saves and they have no rend. In hindsight, Bloodwarriors have the option to take a "Goreglaive" on one model per every 10, which does feature a rending weapon profile - that's probably the solution here. 

During the two games with jay, two lacking points became apparent as key issues for the army. First, I had no support units. They all kinda do their own thing, which was nice, but none could really bolster eachother any more than just by killing enemy units faster. Second issue was a general lack of range, or ranged defense. My opponent's archers did a rather obscene amount of damage, uncontested, because I lacked both ranged defense and the option to shoot at them. So my units would get locked and they'd get peppered by archers while locked. Mind you, these were both known issues prior to playing, but mentioning them anyway. 

Both armies had a bit of points invested in anti-wizard units/abilities, which I think is part of why it was so balanced. 

• 2 months later...

Neglecting this game...Okay, 2000pts for game tonight:

Khorne Bloodbound

Leader and General Khorne Lord on Juggernaut 140

Leader Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage 260

Leader Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury 260

Unit and Battleline Mighty Skullcrushers (3) 140

Unit and Battleline Blood Warriors (5) 100

Unit and Battleline Blood Warriors (5) 100

Battalion Council of Blood (above 4 bloodthirsters) 110pts

Allied Great Bray Shaman (to summon 5th Bloodthirster) 110

Subtotal: 1720pts

Reinforcement Points 260pts (for 5th bloodthirster)

Total: 1980pts

Opponent turned out to be 2x 1k opponents fielding Nurgle and Khorne (my friend and his son). I think I had a bit of advantage in just that I designed a 2k list. Anyway, they were pretty green to AoS, so the above was a pretty mean list. They also had no wizards, no ranged units, and no real heavy hitters, in other words, their lists were tailored in my favor. I demolished their forces, but we had fun. Didn't fully finish the game, but got far enough to be beyond reasonable doubt that I would win. I think, ultimately, the issue was that both were very new to AoS in terms of thinking tactically and list creation - I bet next time will be harder for me....

On my end, Bloodthirsters were amazing. Council of blood was entirely cheese. Never did successfully summon the 5th bloodthirster, but was very close to getting it with blood tithe points anyway (called it at 7 units dead).

Juggernauts made a 12" charge turn 1 after forgetting to move them in the movement phase, but didn't really kill anything.

Bloodwarriors and Juggerlord never saw combat, we played with an objective that got ignored/forgotten by the opponent, so they just held it. 

Last week's opponent suggests 1k. Hmmm....I think I'm going to proxy a Khorne CSM Vindicator for a Skull Cannon.

Khorne 

Leader and General and Behemoth Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage 260

^Command Trait: Slaughterborn (re-roll all failed hits in combat phase)

^^Daemonic Weapon: A'rgath, the King of Blades (hits HEROES on 2+ in combat phase)

Leader Bloodstoker 80

Unit and Battleline Chaos Warriors with Mark of Khorne (10, hand weapons) 180

Unit and Battleline Bloodletters (10) 110

Unit and Artillery Skull Cannon (1) 160

Behemoth and Ally Cygor 200

Total 990pts.

Got another game in, different opponent this time. A Brandon, I think. Had a mix of Skaven and Khorne Bloodbound under the CHAOS alliegence. My list decimated his. About half way through, with all his khorne wiped, I declared that the bloodstoker, bloodletters, and bloodthirster were not going to fight anymore, so my opponent would have a better chance. Also had a round where instead of rolling dice, I just declared that the opponent would go first. That hurt, but they held their ground. Cygor, Skullcannon and blood warriors confronted the skaven and routed them. 

All game, I kept wondering if he was adding points right. Just didn't seem to have the same quality of list that I had - I don't think my list was particularly impressive. 

Cygor and skull cannons were the new models. I liked having the shooting attacks, but I question if they were worth the points. I definitely liked that the cygor provides magic unbinding, so I didn't need to use chaos artefacts for that. Still never denied anything successfully. Cygor did slay the enemy warlock engineer with a thrown rock.

Hmm, using warscroll builder, his list was something like

Mighty Lord of Khorne 140

Bloodsecrator 120

Skaven Warlord 100

Warlock Engineer 100

Clanrats (20) 100

Clanrats (20) 100

Blood Warriors (5) 100

Blood Reavers (20) 140

Total: 940

1k again. Trying for a softer list. 

Khorne

Leader & General Mightlord of Khorne on Juggernaut 140

Leader Bloodstoker 80

Unit & Battleline Bloodreavers (10, Swords)

Unit & Battleline Chaos Warriors (10, Khorne, Hand Weapons) 180

Unit & Battleline Mighty Skullcrushers (3, Axes) 140

Unit Chaos Spawn (1, Khorne) 50

Unit Chaos Spawn (1, Khorne) 50

Unit Khogorath (1) 80

Allied Behemoth Cygor 200

Total 990pts

Let's see, Got a game in with the above list. Ended up with a third player, so was 1v1v1 at 1k each. I had the deck of 40k Open Play missions, and for simplification, we played the Supply Cashe Mission. Was fun. 

Factions represented were my list, a Order High Elf/Stormcast player, and a Dwarven Dispossessed player who was playing his first game of Age of Sigmar. New guy won, but not really because of anything special they were doing, just because the high elf player had the range I couldn't ignore, so while I took damage dealing with them, the dwarves had the most models undamaged near the True Supply Cash at the end. 

My list was definitely too soft. High elf player was the chaos player from last time, so while I brought a softer list, he brought a meaner list.....so my list was much too soft.