Omx8's Infinity Blog Thread Thingy

Omx8

So! For the Ordo Fall Escalation League I have decided to set aside my Nomads and Haqqislam and start a Japanese Sectorial Army. I really like the look and fluff for the JSA and am excited to try a Close Combat focused faction. I haven't used Close Combat much with my Nomads or Haqq and am determined to familiarize myself with the CC rules more and to see if I can adapt my playstyle to rely more on Close Combat.

This was my list for Week 1:

logo_203.png Ordo Fall Escalation Week 1
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

orden_regular.png7  
logo_10.pngONIWABAN Boarding Shotgun, Nanopulser / Pistol, Monofilament CCW. (0 | 41)
logo_6.pngDOMARU Lieutenant Chain Rifle, E/M Grenades / Pistol, E/M CCW. (0 | 25)
logo_6.pngDOMARU Chain Rifle, E/M Grenades / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 26)
logo_4.pngRAIDEN (Minelayer, X Visor) Heavy Rocket Launcher, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 21)
logo_1.pngKEISOTSU HMG / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 17)
logo_1.pngKEISOTSU (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)

2.5 SWC | 150 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I had no idea what I'd be facing and wanted to take a fairly straightforward list to make it easier on myself and any newer players I might be paired up against. 

I played two games, the first against Evan's Merovingians and the second against Aaron's vanilla PanO. I lost both games, mostly due to some bad decisions on my part. I did have some poor dice rolls and both my opponents' luck seemed to be fairing much better. But I can only blame so much on that. I feel like I made less bad decisions in my game against Aaron but there were still some things I should have done that I didn't and things I shouldn't have done that I did.

I won the Initiative Roll for both games but didn't choose to take the first Turn either time when I probably should have. In the first week's scenario in particular, having that first Turn really allowed both of my opponents to occupy the "hill" first and forced me to come to them. I used Hidden Deployment for my Oniwaban in both games but didn't utilize his Superior Infiltration against Evan and ended up placing him poorly where I didn't get any use out of it or the Oniwaban at all. And there were at least a few instances where I probably should have opted to push into CC instead of shooting but I'm still not totally in that CC mindset and got overexcited to shoot with template weapons that would hit multiple targets but ultimately didn't end up doing as much damage as I probably could have with Close Combat.

I'm hoping Week 2 will fair better and I will make less bad decisions. But I have already decided on a pretty specific list based on the scenario which will either do really well or really poorly. So it's possible I've already made a bad decision before the games have even begun! :laugh: We shall see how it goes and I'll be back here at some point to detail the results!

Week 2's list:

logo_203.png Ordo Fall Escalation Week 2

orden_regular.png9  orden_irregular.png1  orden_impetuosa.png5
logo_20.pngASUKA KISARAGI Lieutenant Combi Rifle + Light Flamethrower / Assault Pistol, Knife. (0 | 27)
logo_3.pngARAGOTO Spitfire / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 26)
logo_3.pngARAGOTO Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 19)
logo_25.pngYOJIMBO Contender, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades, CrazyKoalas (2) / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 21)
logo_2.pngKEMPEI (Chain of Command) Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, CCW, Electric Pulse. (0 | 21)
logo_1.pngKEISOTSU Combi Rifle + Light Grenade Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 13)
logo_1.pngKEISOTSU Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 9)

1.5 SWC | 175 Points

Open in Infinity Army

For this week's scenario I decided to take as many bikes as I had and was able to assemble in time with the plan being to push up the board and get to the barrels as fast as possible. JSA bikes are particularly nice because the Aragoto are only Impetuous, not Extremely Impetuous, and they are also Regular. JSA bikes do not get smoke, however. But we do have Yojimbo, who does.

I only played one game this week against Jenni's Nomads. She had a Mobile Brigada Lt., Intruder with Multi Sniper Rifle, Zero Minelayer, Daktari, 2 Alguacils (1 Paramedic), 3 Morlocks, and an infiltrated Camo Marker that never revealed (another Zero? or possibly a Bandit). I won the Initiative Roll and chose to take the first Turn this time. I was able to take out all 5 of my barrels in the first Turn, as was Jenni. At that point we didn't know whether to bother continuing since we were tied for Victory Points and there was no way to achieve anymore so we decided to call it after the first Round. The only casualties were one Morlock and Yojimbo's Crazy Koalas (both of which exploded against the previously mentioned Morlock). 

I had fun with the bike list but am not sure how they'd do in a more traditional scenario. Will have to give it a shot sometime. In the meantime I need to work on a list for Week 3's scenario. I made a special order on Monday specifically for it (and also because they were like, some of the few JSA models I hadn't already bought at this point) that arrived today and I'm hoping to get them assembled before Sunday. Either way I'm at a bit of a loss trying to come up with a list tailored to the scenario; I don't have nearly as many Doctor/Paramedic or Forward Observer options as I'm used to with Haqq or even Nomads.

• Like 1

Week 3's list:

logo_203.png Ordo Fall Escalation Week 3

orden_regular.png8  orden_irregular.png1  orden_impetuosa.png1
logo_5.pngKARAKURI (Fireteam: Haris) Combi Rifle, Chain Rifle, D.E.P. / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 36)
logo_5.pngKARAKURI Heavy Shotgun, Chain Rifle, D.E.P. / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 35)
logo_5.pngKARAKURI Combi Rifle, Chain Rifle, D.E.P. / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 35)
logo_9.pngNINJA Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Tactical Bow / Pistol, DA CCW, Knife. (0 | 29)
logo_25.pngYOJIMBO Contender, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades, CrazyKoalas (2) / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 21)
logo_11.pngTOKUSETSU EISEI Doctor (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
logo_18.pngYÁOZĂO Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
logo_1.pngKEISOTSU Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 9)

1.5 SWC | 200 Points

Open in Infinity Army

So JSA doesn't have many Doctor options but it does have an interesting Forward Observer option in the Karakuri HI. I decided to make an order early in the week to try them out for this scenario. I filled out the list with a Doctor & Yaozao, a few Keisotsu for some cheap orders and a Lt. option, a Ninja Killer Hacker to deal with any hacking attempts on my Karakuri and to stab any Doctors in the back that tried to heal any civilians near her, and Yojimbo for his smoke and Crazy Koalas.

I played two games this week; the first against Jay's Yu Jing and the second against Caitlin's Aleph.

My first game was against Jay which I lost 2-4. Jay had a Yan Huo, Pheasant Agent, Tiger Soldier Paramedic, Tokusetsu Doctor, 4 Monks, and a few Zhanshi. His Yan Huo was well placed and yet I chose to set up the  Karakuri in a part of my Deployment Zone he had covered anyway. I didn't do a good enough job of using Yojimbo to smoke the area so they could advance and my BS Rolls for the smoke I did try to throw were poor. I wasted quite a few orders getting Yojimbo's Crazy Koalas into place only to forget about Jay's Monks which he happily traded one of to get rid of the Koalas that were supposed to death hug his Doctor. Yojimbo died early on and I felt pretty pinned down in my Deployment Zone. I think this was another case of not taking advantage of the choices from the Initiative Roll very well. I got frazzled trying to wring some last minute points out of the match and lost my Ninja too early in his kamikaze run to some sloppy placement on my part as a result.

My second game was against Caitlin which ended in a 4-4 tie. Caitlin had Atalanta, Machaon, 2 Devas, Naga Forward Observer, Diomedes, and a Netrod. Caitlin had one side and the middle locked down with Atalanta and the Naga covering the other side. I did better in this game with Yojimbo and his smoke was effective in getting the Yaozao around to heal some of the civilians. And I used the Ninja more effectively in this game as well by taking care of the Naga even with me forgetting to take advantage of Stealth to better close the distance to her. All in all another fun and well fought game on both sides.

I'm still trying to get used to playing JSA and get into that JSA mindset. Or, more accurately, being able to stay in that JSA mindset once it's actually game time. Every week I come with an idea of how I want to play and then either forget or fail to stick with that idea once it comes down to game time. I'm usually better at it by the second game. 

Week 4 is Decap which should allow me to bring a more well-rounded list. The past two weeks I've been playing with lists heavily focused on troops I hadn't used much or at all in my practice games before the league started. I'm hoping I'll be able to be more on point with a list comprised of troops I at least have a little experience playing. But probably not. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Week 4's list:

logo_203.png Ordo Fall Escalation Week 4

orden_regular.png9  orden_irregular.png1  
logo_6.pngDOMARU Lieutenant Chain Rifle, E/M Grenades / Pistol, E/M CCW. (0 | 25)
logo_6.pngDOMARU Chain Rifle, E/M Grenades / Pistol, E/M CCW. (0 | 25)
logo_4.pngRAIDEN (Minelayer, X Visor) Heavy Rocket Launcher, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 21)
logo_24.pngMIYAMOTO MUSHASHI Chain Rifle, Flash Pulse / Pistol, AP CCW, EXP CCW. (0 | 24)
logo_9.pngNINJA Tactical Bow / Pistol, DA CCW, Knife. (0 | 26)

1.5 SWC | 200 Points

Open in Infinity Army

With Week 4 being a Decap mission I was eager to go back to a list of troops I was more comfortable with. This list is similar to my Week 1 list but with more Domaru, less Keisotsu, Mushashi, and a cheaper Ninja in place of the expensive Oniwaban. 

I played one game against Joel this week which I won 6-4. Joel brought his Qapu Khalqi sectorial with Scarface & Cordelia, 3 Druze (1 Spitfire, 1 Assault Hacker, 1 standard profile), Leila Sharif, 2 Ghulam, and 2 Yuan Yuan (including the magnificent Buba Fett!). I feel like I did a better job of sticking with my idea for this game than I have in the past few weeks. I took first Turn and was aggressive with the Domaru while keeping the Keisotsu hidden in my Deployment Zone. The heavy terrain setup was definitely in my favor. Poor dice rolls affected both of us but ultimately settled on Joel as their primary target. I lost two Domaru in the first Round but Joel spent over half of his orders in Round Two trying to remove the Immobilized-2 state from Scarface and never managed to score a success. The Domaru took heavy casualties but were quite effective, being responsible for Scarface's Immobilization and the death of the HVT, Ghulam Lt. and one or two others. I always forget to take advantage of Frenzy though. I even broke one off from the Fireteam anticipating it and then promptly forgot about it. The Raiden HRL was a champ, eventually taking out Scarface and the  Druze Spitfire while surviving all incoming attacks. I'm glad I reworked my list the day before to include him; my first pass at a list for this week did not. Mushashi and the Ninja were less effective but at least managed to survive til the end of the game. 

Still working on a list for Week 5. I'm looking at fast movement and infiltrating troops but also need to consider that the more models I have in my list the more opportunity I'll have to score as well as the survivability of those models and the ability to take out my opponent's troops to prevent them from scoring more.

Week 5:

logo_203.png Ordo Fall Escalation Week 5

orden_regular.png8  orden_irregular.png2  orden_impetuosa.png3
logo_9.pngNINJA Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Tactical Bow / Pistol, DA CCW, Knife. (0 | 29)
logo_24.pngMIYAMOTO MUSHASHI Chain Rifle, Flash Pulse / Pistol, AP CCW, EXP CCW. (0 | 24)
logo_1.pngKEISOTSU Combi Rifle + Light Grenade Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 13)

0.5 SWC | 225 Points

Open in Infinity Army

My intention for Week 5's scenario was to push forward with the Domaru and Mushashi, get the Aragoto across the board quickly for some (hopefully) easy points, and use Yojimbo for smoke cover. That is not how things went.

I played one game against Scott's Imperial Service Sectorial this week and he tabled me. I don't know what his score was but mine was 0. :unsure:  Scott had an Imperial Crane Agent, 4 Celestial Guard (1 w/Multi Sniper Rifle, 1 w/Smoke Grenade Launcher), Xi Zhuang, 2 Kanren (played very effectively), a Ninja, and a Lu Duan.

So I walked into the main room at the club and saw a fancy new board set up that had a very Necromunda look to it. I immediately knew I did not want to play on that board. And so, of course, I ended up playing on that board. The board had 3 open levels with long walkways that had no cover beyond the sides from one end to the other which was not going to do my list full of close combat troops and bikes any favors. I can't blame it all on the board though. I continued my efforts to play aggressively but I placed too much confidence in my Domarus' advance. All four of the Domaru were cut down before I could even get them halfway across the board as I opted to take one of the walkways that gave them no opportunities to take cover. Perhaps the ground level wouldn't have been much better but it would have at least supplied them with the occasional piece of cover. Yojimbo died immediately due to some unfavorable dice rolls so I was unable to get any smoke down. Mushashi and the Ninja didn't see much action as they were both deployed on the left side of the board and Scott deployed the majority of his force on the right side. I brought so little ranged options that I had a hard time taking out anything while trying to get my Domaru in attack range. Ultimately it was a frustrating game for me but Scott is a gracious opponent and I had a good time playing against him and discussing our game afterwards. 

I am working on a list for Week 6. My JSA lists usually consists of at least some Heavy Infantry but I'm considering the idea of bringing a list with little to no hackable targets this time since everyone will likely be bringing at least one if not multiple hackers. Will have to see what I can put together.

• Like 1

Week 6:

logo_203.png Japanese Sectorial Army

GROUP 1sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png8  orden_irregular.png1  
logo_1.pngKEISOTSU Hacker (Hacking Device) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 17)
logo_2.pngKEMPEI (Chain of Command) Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, CCW, Electric Pulse. (0 | 21)
logo_10.pngONIWABAN Boarding Shotgun, Nanopulser / Pistol, Monofilament CCW. (0 | 41)
logo_23.pngSAITO TOGAN Combi Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, EXP CCW, Knife. (0 | 39)

GROUP 2sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png2  
logo_4.pngRAIDEN (X Visor) Spitfire / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 26)

5 SWC | 250 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Unfortunately I was unable to make Week 6 but I was planning on bringing the above list had I been able to make it. It was kind of quickly thrown together and I'm not sure how well it would have done. I opted to leave out Heavy Infantry that could have been susceptible to hacking attacks and brought more TO Camo than I normally do. But for 250 points it's a pretty small list with a lot of glass cannons so it could have either done really well or really poorly. Most likely the latter.

I did assemble the Raiden with Spitfire and Saito Togan in anticipation of running this list so, while I didn't get the opportunity to field them last week, at least now they can be included in future lists.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2017 at 8:53 PM, Raindog said:

I think you would have a hard time Hacking with only two hackers and no remotes to buff.

Your list would have no problem killing hackers, but would not have scored many game points for the scenario.

Yeah, I don't own any REMs for JSA and don't really plan to for now so I would have focused on prevention and elimination. You're right though, I probably would have been working for a tie at best.

Week 7:

logo_203.png Ordo Fall Escalation Week 7

GROUP 1sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png9  
logo_28.pngSHIKAMI Contender, Nimbus Grenades / Assault Pistol, DA CCW, AP CCW, Knife. (0 | 45)
logo_11.pngTOKUSETSU KOHEI Engineer Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)

GROUP 2sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png2  

3 SWC | 250 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I played one game against Berman's Tohaa and lost 4-9. In scenarios that includes an Armory getting the first Turn and getting dug in inside the Armory can give a huge advantage. I managed to get the first turn after winning the Initiative Roll... and then wasted all of my orders on my Tokusetsu Engineer instead of moving my Domaru up into the Armory. I didn't intend to spend all my orders on the Engineer, he was just going to blow the door. But then I got greedy trying to score early points by having the Engineer, who had successfully made it inside the Armory, grab a Panoply and blow another door. That left me at the end of my first turn with my Engineer inside the Armory and the rest of my forces still in my Deployment Zone. Berman moved up into the Armory in his turn and managed to keep me out for the rest of the game. So yet another game I went into with a plan and then completely forgot about the plan once I started playing. I got distracted by focusing too much on my Engineer and the few early points I was able to grab and that likely played a big role in losing the scenario.

I'm debating on whether or not to include a TAG in my Week 8 list or just go with more Heavy Infantry. Will probably be working on and tweaking my list up until game time tomorrow, as usual.

• Like 1

Week 8:

logo_203.png Ordo Fall Escalation Week 8

orden_regular.png9  orden_impetuosa.png1
logo_7.pngHARAMAKI Missile Launcher / Pistol, DA CCW. (1.5 | 33)
logo_8.pngO-YOROI HMG + Heavy Flamethrower, CrazyKoalas / EXP CCW. (2 | 83)
 sep.giflogo_8.pngO-YOROI PILOT Contender / Pistol, CCW. ()

6 SWC | 275 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I played one game against Joel's Qapu Khalqi and won 8-2. Joel had Scarface and Cordelia, an Anaconda, a Fireteam: Core of Leila Sharif and 2 Ghulam (1 Forward Observer), 2 Yuan Yuan, and 2 Fireteam: Duos of 2 Druze each (including an Assault Hacker in one team). I deployed the Oniwaban as my reserve model and successfully used Superior Infiltration to set it up in Hidden Deployment in the most likely path of the Anaconda. Not only did the Oniwaban (or "Hammer pants ninja", as dubbed by Joel) take down the Anaconda, it somehow managed to survive the entire game ramboing through Cordelia, the 2 Ghulam and Leila Sharif, and finishing off an Immobilized Scarface. The O-Yoroi served more as a deterrent than anything else while the Domaru/Haramaki Fireteam did at least see some action (though the Haramaki died early) and were responsible for Immobilizing Scarface. They might have accomplished more if the Oniwaban hadn't survived for as long as it did but due to its unexpected longevity it ended up hogging most of my orders for the game. Joel did what he could but his dice weren't playing nice while mine managed to make quite a few ARM Rolls that I probably should have failed. He did nearly take out the O-Yoroi by the end but ran out of orders before he could finish it off.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make Week 9 but I still plan on throwing together a list just in case and will post it here later in the week whether I get a chance to play it or not.

• Like 2

Week 9:

logo_203.png Japanese Sectorial Army

GROUP 1sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png6  
logo_6.pngDOMARU Boarding Shotgun, E/M Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 33)

GROUP 2sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png7  
logo_1.pngKEISOTSU Hacker (Hacking Device) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 17)
logo_1.pngKEISOTSU Missile Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 14)
logo_28.pngSHIKAMI Contender, Nimbus Grenades / Assault Pistol, DA CCW, AP CCW, Knife. (0 | 45)

5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I wasn't able to make it to Week 9 but I probably would have gone with the above list if I had. It's short on specialists but that's JSA in general. The idea would have been to access one Data Console while holding one Quadrant in my half of the table with the Fireteam: Core of the Kempeitai and 4 Keisotsu and use the Shikami and 2 Fireteam: Duos of Domaru to access a Data Console and hold a Quadrant in my opponent's half of the table with support from the Ninja. If things went extremely well I could have used the Ninja and one of the Domaru Fireteams to push the other Quadrant in my opponent's half of the table. The Raiden would have stayed in or near my Deployment Zone to help keep anyone out of the Quadrants on my half of the board and help support the Keisotsu Fireteam or hold the other Quadrant.

I haven't even begun working on a list for Week 10 so I'll have to see what I can quickly come up with before game time tomorrow. :unsure:

Week 10:

logo_203.png Ordo Fall Escalation Week 10

GROUP 1sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png9  orden_irregular.png1  orden_impetuosa.png1
logo_1.pngKEISOTSU Missile Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 14)
logo_1.pngKEISOTSU Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 11)

GROUP 2sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png5  
logo_1000.pngGUĬ FĒNG Spec-Ops (4 XP) (BS:11) Combi Rifle, Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 9)
logo_1.pngKEISOTSU Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 11)

1.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

I played one game against Cody's Morat Aggression Force and lost 1-9. Ultimately I think I just didn't bring enough offense and, though I won the Initiative Roll and took first Turn, I again spent too many orders in Turn One on a single model to get a small lead in Victory Points to start but then didn't have enough orders left to set up the rest of my troops. Those orders were spent on the Oniwaban who took out the Total Reaction REM that Cody had set up opposite my Group 2 Keisotsu Fireteam which allowed them to escape in Turn One as planned; it just took more orders than I was expecting and I had already lost 2 orders to Cody's Strategic Use of a Command Token. With most of my force just outside my Deployment Zone Cody was more or less free to move up his forces to take positions covering fire lanes and the escape hatches. I felt pinned again with less troops than my opponent and struggled to get much else accomplished for the rest of the game. My frustration threw my game off even more as I kept forgetting about Hackers and Repeaters and allowed myself to get trapped by mines and bad dice rolls. So a rough and frustrating game overall but I still had fun. It's been awhile since I've played against Morats and Cody definitely had a different playstyle than I'm used to from my usual Morat opponent, Jeremy.

Though I didn't win many games I had a lot of fun participating in the league. This was more or less my first time playing against certain Factions and other players than my usual opponent as well so it was something of a learning experience. I opted to play a new Faction myself with a playstyle that I was completely unfamiliar with and, while it probably didn't help my Win/Loss ratio, I think it did give me a better understanding of playing with melee troops, Hidden Deployment, and smaller forces. I keep looking at a Nomads list that I'd really like to bring to the Rampage tomorrow but I will probably give the JSA one more go before I let myself switch back to my Nomads and Haqq.

• Like 2