Ad Mech Super-Troll Strategem

Swan-of-War

So, file this under RAW abuses, but there's a new Adeptus Mechanicus strategem called Scryerskull that's just begging for an Errata correction.

It can be used at any time and, among other things, grants shooting to an Ad Mech unit without the penalties to your hit rolls from Dawn Raid, Low Visibility, or Cover of Darkness.  yadda yadda yadda

I underlined the important parts.  You plop down a unit of dakka Kastellans or neutron laser Onager near Cawl (reroll all shooting) during the Deployment Phase and then start burning through Command points to take free shots at the enemy before the first turn even begins (you can spend as many Command Points as you like in the Deployment phase, pg 215 BRB).

I'd would normally never do this of course, but I guess if I was setting up against TFG who's a notorious RAW abuser, here you go.  Saw this  on the Facebook Ad Mech group so don't think I've been looking for loop-holes or anything.  Ad Mech are mean enough as it is.

• Like 1

On October 1, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Swan-of-War said:

So, file this under RAW abuses, but there's a new Adeptus Mechanicus strategem called Scryerskull that's just begging for an Errata correction.

It can be used at any time and, among other things, grants shooting to an Ad Mech unit without the penalties to your hit rolls from Dawn Raid, Low Visibility, or Cover of Darkness.  yadda yadda yadda

I underlined the important parts.  You plop down a unit of dakka Kastellans or neutron laser Onager near Cawl (reroll all shooting) during the Deployment Phase and then start burning through Command points to take free shots at the enemy before the first turn even begins (you can spend as many Command Points as you like in the Deployment phase, pg 215 BRB).

I'd would normally never do this of course, but I guess if I was setting up against TFG who's a notorious RAW abuser, here you go.  Saw this  on the Facebook Ad Mech group so don't think I've been looking for loop-holes or anything.  Ad Mech are mean enough as it is.

For clarity, what is the potential here? 1 cp = how many uses of this ability? And how many CP will admech be able to realistically field at 2k (ITC or otherwise)?

Also, does it allow them to shoot if the models are in a situation where they couldn't normally shoot (like while within 1" of enemy models)? Not sure if this is covered in the "yadda yadda yadda" part of your post. 

1 hour ago, Spaceork said:

Pretty sure you can only use a stratagem once per phase.

Please to be reading pg 215.  In matched play, you can use as many as you like "before the battle begins"

And Pax, I've got 7 CP in my current two-detachment list.  Hypothetically, that's 252 shots from a unit of 4 Kastellans with three Heavy Phospors each (4 x 9 x 7).  Str 6, -2 AP, 1 D, no cover saves.

16 hours ago, Swan-of-War said:

Please to be reading pg 215.  In matched play, you can use as many as you like "before the battle begins"

And Pax, I've got 7 CP in my current two-detachment list.  Hypothetically, that's 252 shots from a unit of 4 Kastellans with three Heavy Phospors each (4 x 9 x 7).  Str 6, -2 AP, 1 D, no cover saves.

Well... Clearly you are missing something about this stratagem. I suppose I am too, but I'm far to lazy to look.

I've not see one tournament in which this has been an issue. It hasn't been listed in the fixed part of the rules by ITC. No ad mech player I've seen has used it. And for something this theoretically powerful, alot of people are ignoring it in environments that would embrace it.

So I got a chance to read the exact wording on this one the other night. It does say what you are saying, but in context, it isn't as clear cut as you are making it out to be. The arguement is certainly there, but saying it grants an extra shooting phase will leave room for debate as your interpretation is very obviously not what it says. It also doesn't include the language that similar abilities include, like Soulburst. But to your point about this one needing an FAQ, yes, I agree, GW should FAQ it.