9th Age Starter by TMS

1 hour ago, Prophecy said:

You also have a good point. Granted I have been tainted by certain YouTube critics and my outlook on 2.0 is shaky right now. I would rather get more communication rather than a kickstarter. We all have the majority of the models we need I just want more feedback and clarity in general. 

Does TMS have any sort of ties to 9th Age, other than making some models for it? I don't disagree, in that I'm eagerly awaiting 2.0 to drop (although I wouldn't consider myself more eager than anything else, as I've enjoyed what I've seen for the most part), but a company putting out some models doesn't really have anything to do with the state of the 2.0 release?

Also, agree that the UD look a little meh. I'm actually not a huuuuge fan of TMS' stuff, although seeing their minis painted makes them much more appealing. I think their UD range looks about on par with the Mantic stuff, with some looking better and some looking worse. KoE stuff is pretty good, but I think Norba miniatures has better models.

As for 2.0, I can say from the inside* that it will be lot of change to get used to but hopefully it will be worth it for the long term health of the game. I know there are some complaints about both the design teams and the pricing but I believe it will be worked out as data comes in. Two things to keep in mind: this is more work at once than will be done in the future and this is the first time the RT has not been personally doing 70% of the work. I doubt that team could survive another of the old design cycles.

My biggest fear is that the primary playerbase of Warhammer fans will be lost with the stat name changes.

*I have limited access to rules but no decision making ability.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:59 PM, valourunbound said:

My biggest fear is that the primary playerbase of Warhammer fans will be lost with the stat name changes.

I totally get why this needed to be done, and I won't pretend that it's not going to be a huge pain to remember the new names, but I hope it won't cause people to jump ship, as the mechanics are *mostly* the same.

The video for the starter set is rad, good production value for a miniatures product. I dont think this starter box really does 9th age rule system any amount of justice tho. Not many strategic options with 1000pts or less of models. I think this box set would need to come with a confined play space and a scenario or two. This is basically the scale of a flank of a normal T9a game.

John, if you could, while 2.0 is changing names up, have them change the names of the SA dinosaurs again. The current names are.... lame...

Lustria Online has awesome names all picked out, then pinktaco got /ignored or something. Now we have a "Thyrocuttus" which I cannot spell nor pronounce.

11 minutes ago, valourunbound said:

Pinktaco is way above my paygrade. I think he's on the Advisory Board. It's pretty much up to the Background Team anyway, of which Giladis is the Czar. And big G is very hard to persuade.

There is a starter rulebook and I expect the models in the starter box to fit with that. They limit the rules as well as the units used.

Isn't PinkTaco's paygrade == your Paygrade?

I would say you are equals in that respect. So you have some latitude.

Think of it this way....

VS and SA are maybe going to remain primary foes. As a VS player, you have to deal with pronouncing the names of the dinosaur targets you want to blow away with your silly artillery guns.

You have the same problem as the SA players. Remember that if you use the 8 edition name, your WM automatically misfires and you take a shot of scotch.

Make this happen!

Afaik Iron Crowns are basically the next army. Whenever that happens. The primary issue is sourcing at least two models for each unit as we don't want to be tied to a manufacturer.

Regarding pinktaco... You could PM him yourself. I'm strictly in the VS camp, I don't really have any sway over SA.

Also, to stay in character, I will just point and speak quickly and unintelligibly at the target dinosaur.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Scipiano said:

Unfortunately, looks as if this one has been scrapped.

The buy in at $170 for the starter seemed a bit high for the quality.

A starter set, especially one done through crowdfunding, should be a loss leader.

Yeah, I saw this. I agree, $170 for a starter, even a two player starter, was a bit of a miss. Maybe have the armies separate and have the terrain be an "add on" option instead of something you are forced to pay for.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheBeninator said:

I don't understand why it was scrapped tho, they hit their funding target.

Perhaps they celebrated away the money? I have heard of kickstarters doing that in the past, basically just walking away with the money the acquire.

Supposedly the funding goal was supposed to have "have another zero" added to it, so like $20K vs $2000. Don't know if that's a lame excuse or it wasn't selling as well as they had hoped so they scrapped it. There was a lot of push back from the community regarding price, as well as unfulfilled orders from previous Kickstarters.