6 week "tourney"

InfestedKerrigan

LGS just announced it is having a tourney, over 6 weeks, 2000 points, 20 entry fee.

No fixed lists, so you can change up your list to maximize efficiency against each opponent, or add new models that are released during those 6 weeks (lgs reasoning for it). I think that is a pretty [big bad swear word]ty concept.  

What do you think?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

LGS just announced it is having a tourney, over 6 weeks, 2000 points, 20 entry fee.

No fixed lists, so you can change up your list to maximize efficiency against each opponent, or add new models that are released during those 6 weeks (lgs reasoning for it). I think that is a pretty [big bad swear word]ty concept.  

What do you think?

Are they expecting tournament quality painting and basing while players are changing lists each week for 6 weeks? And are you penalized if you miss days? Sounds very demanding on the players if it functions like a typical tournament.

Anyway, I think it sounds very compeditive, and if you are the type that needs to know who the best player is, not who has the best list, then this sort of event does seem like it would be appealling to you. 

Otherwise, sounds similar to how the GG league was running in the past. Not really a tournament, but they kept score on a monthly basis and lists were free form for each week, so functioned similar. So looking at it as a 6-week league, sounds fun. A 6-week tournament seems like it wouldn't really be fun. But I'm bias in that I don't usually enjoy tournaments.

Yes, call it a 2k League. 

Thing that gets me about this is there are two players I've heard more or less complained about who will very likely thrive in this event, especially considering they can change things up. It doesn't seem to me that the LGS is considering the general community down here with something like this.

I'm not likely to spend 20 on a 6 week league.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Are they expecting tournament quality painting and basing while players are changing lists each week for 6 weeks? And are you penalized if you miss days? Sounds very demanding on the players if it functions like a typical tournament.

They haven't said, even though money is supposed to be in this weekend.

16 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Yes, call it a 2k League. 

Thing that gets me about this is there are two players I've heard more or less complained about who will very likely thrive in this event, especially considering they can change things up.

I'm not likely to spend 20 on a 6 week league.

That GG league is $10 for each month. A month is about 4 weeks. So although a bit more expensive, but still close to the norm as far as paid leagues go. GG league has a discount for players. Any discounts in-store while in the 6-week tournament?

And for the record, WOW is about $20 per month if you don't have an Ordo membership (assumes going 4 times per month). Jumps down to $8 per month if you have the very affordable membership, so I'm certainly not complaining. 

14 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

They haven't said, even though money is supposed to be in this weekend.

Sounds fishy and not well organized. The big distinction between a league and a tournament, I think, is the organization required. I'd pass on this one, since it doesn't seem like they know what they are selling. If they do it again, I might be interested, as their second run should be more defined. An organized 6-week event could certainly be fun, but this one seems dodgy.  If you do go, don't give them any money until you understand what you are buying. 

As for list optimization per opponent, that one is rather misleading, as being able to change each week doesn't really impart any advantage if the opponent is also able to change each week. The bigger issue is that changing your army a lot means being unfamiliar with your army, which is not a desired feature in a tournament, as it slows down the game and often results in rule debates (might not be an issue in 8th...). 

10 minutes ago, Romans832 said:

@InfestedKerrigan, are you saying you have issues with this 6 week league because lists can change?

Because two people (troublemakers?) will exploit what everyone can do: switch up their lists?

I'm not sure I exactly understand why you're angry over this.

I don't think IK is angry, sounds more like he's on the fence about paying into this league and wants us to talk him into/out of this "investment".

And if not clear, I vote against, unless we get more detailed event info. 

50 minutes ago, Romans832 said:

@InfestedKerrigan, are you saying you have issues with this 6 week league because lists can change?

Because two people (troublemakers?) will exploit what everyone can do: switch up their lists?

I'm not sure I exactly understand why you're angry over this.

It's being marketed as a tournament, not a league. Prize support with that abuse is where I have an issue. I'm not worried about losing, I'll also very likely run the same thing all 6 games. My frustration is rooted in belief that this format will be more harmful than beneficial to my local. 

I've played these guys, with little issue. 

Actually, that is part of it, the local community is largely casual players, and there are only a handful of competitive/ semicompetitive players here(myself included).

• Like 1

Considering I'm one of the two who will abuse the loosely written rules I can assure you it won't be that bad.

Also if I face one if the less experienced people I really want to bust out orks if I can finish them.

So the tournament/league is a 6 week event between the two Astral games locations in southern Oregon. With a champion from each store facing off in a final battle to determine the ultimate winner.

The games will be using ITC mission packs (or at least they were last time I spoke to the TO when we planned it). 

Each week, players will have their opponents for the week and have the week to schedule and play the game.

Each week, players can change their lists or even army.

Tbo, their are not enough people with broken stuff to worry about. IK has knights that ,if both he and I are the champions of our towns, I'm sure I would have to plan for. I'm basically the only really competive player in my town, but I'm going to cater to the player base. Do I expect to win my city division? Yes. But I don't know about Medford and from what I've seen they are a pretty casual crowd. So I expect IK to be the shark there.

Tl:Dr

IK sign up, play, prevent me from winning it all.

• Thanks 1

Also the guy who is organizing it is brand new to this sort of thing and to 40k in general. He has good intentions, will try to make things work and will fix any problems. He did have 40k thrown on him by the owner (he loves it though) and is trying to build a community that is inclusive of all players, both casual and competitive.

So yes, this league tournament has a loose feel to it but it's his first try with minimal help so keep that in mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do like the idea of a face-off between stores. 

Though regarding the tournament league, the one question I'm wondering is *when* the players are able to switch their army? Sounds like the intention is a tactical choice in the changing of lists and armies, so do players take turns deciding which army to use, or is it somehow decided at the same time? Like if I show up with a dozen lists and the models to back them, am I allowed to change my selected list after seeing my opponent's army?

Sounds kinda absurd, but tournaments seem to generate this sort of behaviour (like giant battlewagons with unlimited KFF range...). The GG league works because it isn't very compeditive (the players are often very compeditive, but the league itself isn't). 

33 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

I do like the idea of a face-off between stores. 

Though regarding the tournament league, the one question I'm wondering is *when* the players are able to switch their army? Sounds like the intention is a tactical choice in the changing of lists and armies, so do players take turns deciding which army to use, or is it somehow decided at the same time? Like if I show up with a dozen lists and the models to back them, am I allowed to change my selected list after seeing my opponent's army?

Sounds kinda absurd, but tournaments seem to generate this sort of behaviour (like giant battlewagons with unlimited KFF range...). The GG league works because it isn't very compeditive (the players are often very compeditive, but the league itself isn't). 

Good points, it should be made more clear I suppose.

The intent is when you find out your opponent for the week, you schedule a game. Then you show up with one list for the game. If the players want to discuss possible army composition, that's up to them.

Since both Medford and Grants Pass are rather small towns the players tend to know what armies the other has. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spaceork said:

Considering I'm one of the two who will abuse the loosely written rules I can assure you it won't be that bad.

Haha, I hope I didn't offend you, B. I thought you may have been casting a bit of a line, but after playing a few more games down there and mostly just listening, I was eating dirt.  Not to say they were [big bad swear word] talking, mostly just lamenting the difference in play style.

Plus, I'm sure I'll get short listed with you and Colby soon enough. 🤣

Also if I face one if the less experienced people I really want to bust out orks if I can finish them.

So the tournament/league is a 6 week event between the two Astral games locations in southern Oregon. With a champion from each store facing off in a final battle to determine the ultimate winner.

Ah. I really wasn't looking forward to trying to Schedule games in both towns. Glad to hear.

The games will be using ITC mission packs (or at least they were last time I spoke to the TO when we planned it). 

Each week, players will have their opponents for the week and have the week to schedule and play the game.

Each week, players can change their lists or even army.

Tbo, their are not enough people with broken stuff to worry about. IK has knights that ,if both he and I are the champions of our towns, I'm sure I would have to plan for. I'm basically the only really competive player in my town, but I'm going to cater to the player base. Do I expect to win my city division? Yes. But I don't know about Medford and from what I've seen they are a pretty casual crowd. So I expect IK to be the shark there.

Tl:Dr

IK sign up, play, prevent me from winning it all.

Oh, you know I want to bring just my Knights. Not committed to that, yet. We will see how it goes, but you know I'll have at least 1. I don't wanna club baby seals, either.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spaceork said:

Also the guy who is organizing it is brand new to this sort of thing and to 40k in general. He has good intentions, will try to make things work and will fix any problems. He did have 40k thrown on him by the owner (he loves it though) and is trying to build a community that is inclusive of all players, both casual and competitive.

So yes, this league tournament has a loose feel to it but it's his first try with minimal help so keep that in mind.

Wasn't trying to belittle him, either. I'm excited to have a competitive event down here, even if styled after campaign/league. Gotta start somewhere. 

I also didn't want him to feel pressed, so brought this conversation here to give him breathing room.

• Like 1

So after talking with the TO last night, he will work to clarify things in the future. He didn't realize that even the little things needed to be spelled out in an event, such as only one list, games will be played in your city until the finals, etc.

Also since he has never done any kind if tournament style missions, he tried to come up with his own fair version of missions. I corrected this and we came up with very simple layered missions (primary, secondary, etc).

Also there is an actual play-offs. After the six rounds/weeks there will be a two person semi-final for each store to determine the store champ. Then both champs will play. Which I think is great considering you don't get punished for having a bad week of dice or miss a game as the top 2 from each store will have a chance to play in the finals.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spaceork said:

So after talking with the TO last night, he will work to clarify things in the future. He didn't realize that even the little things needed to be spelled out in an event, such as only one list, games will be played in your city until the finals, etc.

Also since he has never done any kind if tournament style missions, he tried to come up with his own fair version of missions. I corrected this and we came up with very simple layered missions (primary, secondary, etc).

Also there is an actual play-offs. After the six rounds/weeks there will be a two person semi-final for each store to determine the store champ. Then both champs will play. Which I think is great considering you don't get punished for having a bad week of dice or miss a game as the top 2 from each store will have a chance to play in the finals.

Like you said, it's his first event and he just started playing, as well. Love T's enthusiasm, even if it is being prodded by the boss man. 

I hope he took any feedback from this thread you may have shared constructively rather than critically. 

Astral Warhammer 40k Tournament Rules

Event will last a total of 6 weeks, 4 weeks of normal play to be followed by a 2 week long playoff to determine the Astral 40k Champion. 

Each competitor is required to play their scheduled game within the time allowed, 1 game per week. The results will be recorded on the pre-made data sheets to be turned into the Astral staff. 
Match ups will be determined each week based on points, and will be posted in the stores and on facebook. 

Games will feature 2,000 point lists, no more. Lists are open to include Forgeworld models, but models over 31 power are not allowed (ITC rules). Each game will feature the new Open War campaign cards or the core book to determine deployment zones and game objectives. Games will also have 6 total objective markers to be placed by the players, 3 each. 

Players may sign up at either Medford or Grants Pass locations but NOT both, entry is $20. They will represent the chosen store when heading into the playoffs, top 2 at each store will be invited to participate in the playoffs following regular play. 

Players may use various armies week to week as long as their lists meet the criteria of 2,000 points and no super friend lists (only 1 faction per game is allowed). On the data sheets, each model used and their gear must be listed with point values.

Primary Objectives are worth 4 points, 1 for tying, 0 for lose. First blood, slay the warlord, and linebreaker are all worth 1 point. Secondary missions/objectives are worth 3 points each for control. Players will generate 3 tactical objective cards from the Open War cards as well. 

Good luck, have fun! Pairings will be posted Sunday Morning.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

No superfriends, single faction....

Asking them about this one. I think it is to prevent Imperial soup, but the result is CSM can't take Daemons; Skitarii don't have an HQ and largely become an invalid choice; same with Custodes and Sisters of Silence; screws with AstraMil, too, with soo many subfactions.

I doubt that's the intention. Factions in this edition are by the faction keyword. So this would ban mixing of Chaos and Tau, but not CSM and Daemons since they both share the Chaos Faction keyword (and lists often share the diety faction keyword too).

And regarding CSM, should be able to field Daemons with or without faction restrictions, just due to the summoning option that the Chaos Characters can do. Just set aside reserve points. Even covered in the FAQ for the chaos Index.